Build an Extended Battery Case for FREE!!
dabubbakin
Contributor - Level 3

Free Free Free

Had a little time and an HTC Incredible Case laying around useless now that I have the HTC 2150 mAh Extended Battery and Door.

Problem is nobody has a case available yet.

So I built one!

It'll get me by till the real deal comes out. 

Did I mention it's free? :smileyvery-happy:

Short and to the point here ya go. 

Step 1

Cut out the center of the case with a box cutter or exacto knife.  Cut as close to the lines as possible. I should have cut closer, and you'll see why. Do all of these cuts from the inside of the case only.

Step 2

Using Blue Painters Tape cover the entire EXTERIOR of the case. No not wrap the tape around to the inside. (You'll need to keep the inside and sides clear of obstructions for testing/fitting later)

Step 3

Using a Dremel Tool trim out the inside SLOWLY. This step is very very tedious. Tape off your Extended Battery Door with some scotch tape to protect it. Drop the Case Door inside the case periodically to check for fit. Be sure to keep a firm grip on the case close to where you are trimming. Hold the opposite side of the place you are trimming and you'll snap your case. Make a final test with the Door on the Phone. I wanted to quit at the point but just keep going.

Step 4

Examine the case for sharp surfaces and use some sand paper to correct them. Slowly remove the Blue Tape pulling toward the edges being careful not to pull up the soft finish on the case.

Step 5

Final observation is a case with the Extended Battery Door hanging out. Looks nice anyways, and you can always stick a screen protector on the Door to protect it for resale purposes later.

Yes I know it looks a little beat up but thats how I roll with my cases. Just match up the case covers so they lay flush.

So, wrapping it up... 

I needed a case to get me by, had a spare hour, it'll do the trick till I get a VZW Case, and it'll protect the resale while I wait.

Enjoy :smileywink:

0 Likes
Re: Build an Extended Battery Case for FREE!!
Krzr93

This is awesome but I have a question about step 3.  Are you basically just sanding down the edges where you cut in step 1? I would actually rather do this then buy an extended battery case because this just looks SLICK!   It gives the phone a unique design.

0 Likes
dabubbakin
Contributor - Level 3
Correct, you'll be taking off another 1mm or less off all the way around. You'll be sanding a lot if you want this to look real good. Slow, slow sanding and testing. Tape the outside edges really good to avoid wear while sanding.
0 Likes
Krzr93

And I don't have a dremel tool but it's is still possible to use sandpaper as an alternative right? (It will just take forever)

0 Likes
dabubbakin
Contributor - Level 3
Prob only a few days.... just go buy a bit like mine for 3 bucks and slap it on a power drill. Even with the bit I wanted to quit, can't imagine sanding by hand only. Yikes!
0 Likes
Krzr93

dabubbakin wrote:
Prob only a few days.... just go buy a bit like mine for 3 bucks and slap it on a power drill. Even with the bit I wanted to quit, can't imagine sanding by hand only. Yikes!

You make it sound like it takes forever with the tool!  I wouldn't be surprised if it did though if you want to really make it perfect.  The cases are $20 or so correct?  I really am not into the cases because they only really prevent scratches.  I never really end up selling my old phones so it doesn't bother me much as long as the phone doesn't take too bad of a beating.

Edit:  Also I'm a bit confused by picture 2 and 3 with the tape and the drill.  Picture 3 is the inside of the case?  Looks like the outside.. Even though you said picture 2 was the outside.

0 Likes
dabubbakin
Contributor - Level 3
I guess if you have really course sand paper its possible, slow but possible. The case I used is high gloss on the inside, and flat grip on the outside. The tape is just to protect the finish. I'm sure you can sand from either side, I just used that pic as a reference.
0 Likes
B33
Legend

Dab i was going to suggest a Dremmel but you got the bases covered great. i'd like to do that to my Body Glove Case cource i sold my extended batt to my sister inlaw as she uses more time than i do. but with a dremel or maybee being real careful a hot blade knife or or miny saw. could cut the opening. Now on Sanding a Sand stick that people use to file there fingernails could work because its flat it'll give a little but you can control it a little better on some of the area's but in the corners regualar sand paper would be Better. if i could get mine cut open i would get another Ext. Battery . as they do last alot Longer. Great Job on the Case.  An the Post was on top as well. A 10.!  :smileyvery-happy:

0 Likes
Daibutsu

Body Glove case can be done using a dremel cutting wheel.  My version is here:

http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=778100

0 Likes
rocken

Finally found a case for extended batt. Looks the same as what you did, this costs $25 thou (with shipping). The site is htcpeida.com.

0 Likes