Battery and Spontaneous Restart Issues with the Droid X
emhughes

Over the past several months my Motorola Droid X has been spontaneously restarting.  It does it on a full battery unplugged, on a low battery unplugged, on a full battery plugged in, on a low battery plugged in, with apps running, without apps running, when I'm using it, and when I'm not using it.  There is no discernible pattern to when it restarts and no warning that it is about to happen.

I uninstalled a bunch of my apps and the problem persisted.

I chatted with a support representative and he recommended that I do a factory reset.

In the past two weeks I noticed a steep decline in battery life.  The Droid X is known for having great battery life and I could usually go for more than a day without recharging.  Now I only get 4 hours on a charge even if I don't use it.

Two days ago I performed a factory reset.  The phone performs regular tasks much more quickly but I still have both problems.  It still spontaneously restarts and the battery life is miserably low.

Does anyone have a solution?  Should I go to a Verizon location and request a replacement Droid X?  I've had this one for about 15 months.  I do not want to upgrade phones because I do not want to lose my unlimited data plan.

0 Likes
Re: Battery and Spontaneous Restart Issues with the Droid X
ewink77
Enthusiast - Level 2

I have this same problem. I don't know if it's related or not, but it started around the same time I started having issues with the camera and pictures being corrupted. I think it's the OS, and basically the phone is 'crashing' but I am not technical enough to understand exactly what's going on.

The latest update seems to have stopped (or at least greatly reduced) my random reboots. You might want to check and see if you're on the most recent version (4.5.621).

vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

Hi emhughes,

I'm saddened to see you are having trouble with your device and I am here to help! I appreciate you completing some basic trouble shooting steps on you own. Have you recently downloaded any new applications? Do you have a task manger or battery saver application downloaded? Are your GPS, Bluetooth and/or wi-fi features enabled when they are not being used? I look forward to hearing from you soon.

Thanks for your contribution to our community forums,

AyaniB_VZW

Follow us on twitter @VZWSupport

0 Likes
DynaJim

For the VZSupport Folks:

My I've had my X2 for well over a year now and have been (and still am) very happy with the phone, including the battery life.  I've been able to dial back all the location services, networking, and data back to the point where the phone lasts for three plus days on a single charge... until about four days ago.  Now it burns through the battery in about 6 hours.  I have not downloaded any new applications, but I did see some automatic updates go by.  The only other symptom I can find is the phone is physically warm, so its little processor is busy grinding on something I just can't tell what.  I've checked the native application manager and battery use app (from the Settings) ... can't see anything out of the ordinary.

Ideas?

Jim

0 Likes
jjt13
Enthusiast - Level 1

I was having the same issues and then one day the battery would not charge and I noticed the battery was bulging a bit.

I figured it was time either for a phone upgrade or a new battery.  I went with a new phone, but I recently pulled the droid X out to use it as a wifi camera viewer.  I bought a new battery and it seems as though the issue have gone away.  It may be time to replace the battery.

painedwulf
Enthusiast - Level 2

Is the battery getting hot? Have you checked for updates? Do you have T.E.C.? Have you installed any games? Have you left the phone powered down with battery removed for at least an hour? If you have had the phone for 15 months with the same battery, it may just be the battery, they are only able to be charged a limited amount of times before they begin to go bad. Batteries are cheap and easy to replace.

0 Likes
painedwulf
Enthusiast - Level 2

If the phone is getting warm while in use that is normal. If it is getting warm while just sitting there you will want to call 8009220204 from a different phone and get the phone some trouble shooting done. If it is out of warranty or you might want to borrow a battery if you know someone else with the same phone that can loan it to you for a day (don't put your battery into their phone just in case) and see if it stays charged longer. If that works get a new battery.

0 Likes
painedwulf
Enthusiast - Level 2

Anytime the battery is deformed or hot, replace the battery fast. It is usually a quick fix and less stressful than waiting on a replacement phone (if it is under the 1yr warrenty or you have TEC) only to have the same issues again.

0 Likes
painedwulf
Enthusiast - Level 2

If any of your applications (like FB) updated check the sync settings. Also if you are connecting to a wi-fi and using mobile data when leaving the wi-fi your phone will continue scanning for a wi-fi connection. Make sure to turn off the wi-fi setting when not connected.

0 Likes
emhughes

Thank you all.

I solved the problem with the battery not holding a charge.  I use Sugar Sync to upload my photos automatically to my computer and my cloud storage drive had filled up.  Because the cloud storage was full, Sugar Sync had no place to send the files to so it was stuck in a perpetual loop of attempting to upload files.  This drained my battery really really fast.  I solved the issue by deleting all of the contents of my Sugar Sync cloud storage account.

The issue of my phone spontaneously restarting has not been solved and my research around the web discovered that this is a problem for multiple models of Motorola smartphones.  My roommate has a Droid Bionic and it has the same problem though with less frequency.  There appear to be no solutions on the internet.

0 Likes