Re: 4G LTE Signal goes white and data connection lost
publicright
Enthusiast - Level 2

Soouthern CA, Same problem, as soon as I got the upgreade around 6/20 my 4G headed south, still there. My son told me he's having the same problem.  NEXY UPGRADE fast Verizon !!!!!

FWH
Enthusiast - Level 3

Does your son have the Bionic or another model and Brand?

Jaysonol
Enthusiast - Level 3

Hard to say either way. 

If you are determiend to move to a RAZR, go for the MAXX...battery on the regular RAZR is not very good.  My wife has one, and the battery blows.  Maybe a Droid 4 if you're okay with a little extra bulk.

That being said, I agree...don't send back your phone for a refurb.  Refurbs aren't going to solve the data dropping issue as self evident by the numerous ppl here who have already tried that route with nothing to show for it in the end.

Couple that with the fact that depending on what rep you get a hold of, they clearly don't have a unified answer right now.  Everything to refurbs, pulling chips, Towers vs Grids, App managment seems to be their random answer. So clearly, they don't know either.

As to why Verizon is not putting an emphasis on this issue, is anyone guess.  They have already pulled the Bionic from the online store.  I think they are more intersted in pushing current phones like the Galaxy S III, RAZR MAXX, or D4.  Just by the way they have handled the ICS release, I don't see a lot of emphasis on the Bionic moving forward...too bad, because it's a great phone.

I'm taking the following gamble:  There have already been 2 documented leaks this week alone for a flash upgrade to ICS on the net, meaning the final OTA is not far behind.  I'm hoping that within the next few weeks we will finally get the long awaited and delyaed ICS which may solve this issue.  If not, then in a few months, D4 will drop in price (maybe even S III), and I'll ditch the Bionic for one of these.  Sucks that I didin't even get a good solid year out of this phone, but it was great for it's first 9 month.  This 10th month was horrible, and the S III looks very pretty right now

0 Likes
publicright
Enthusiast - Level 2

Bionic

0 Likes
FWH
Enthusiast - Level 3

I sure hope you are right on the possibility of the OTA upgrade. I did notice my phone got an upgrade a couple weeks ago, but I don't think that upgrade is what messed up the 4g signal.

I just wished I would have done a little more homework here on this forum I just found today, before taking the jump into a Smart Phone.

My choice will be with going to a different manufacturer. Quite possibly the Galaxy S III. Been reading alot of great reviews about it. BUT....as a new contract user on this Droid it looks like I'll have to put up with this Bionic thing for another 20 months! That is unless someone can give me ideas as to what to do.

Thanks for the responses.

0 Likes
Jaysonol
Enthusiast - Level 3

Yeah, the recent .905 update didn't do much for stability issues.  We've been having this issue for a couple of weeks prior to that OTA update anyway, so it wasn't this latest push that caused this.

I was just reading on another forum that ICS is being readied for a push to the beginning of Q3.  The good news is that Q3 in just over a week away.  But does that mean we get it in 2 week, 4 weeks or 6 weeks?  No one knows.

As far as being stuck with a Bionic for the next 20 months...not necessarily.  You can stick it out for ICS or say in 2 or 3 months, go ahead and go in store or call Customer Service; more times than not they will send you a "like" phone, equivalent to the tech/price of your current phone.  You may luck out and get a refurbed MAXX or D4, especially if they pull the Bionic from inventory.

B33
Legend

Jay to get back to ya on your Comment the Rep i know wasn't throwing me a Curve ball i've known him Long time all the Way back to the Alltel Days and i know there working in that Area of the South West Corner or Grid because the 4G signal out in that Area is at Best a very Weak or non Existant signal but as i mention Improvements are being Maid.

Something Else i Talked to Manager that i know that has been in this Business here in Kansas for 22 years She first started way back with Kansas Cellular an is now a Verizon Store MGR. at the Store i Visited i asked her a Few Questions on the 4G an Found something out that really Surprised me is what is Holding back of allot of the 3G towers being updated to 4G . I mentioned it would be nice to get the 4G Here in our area but it looks like the Around Target date is November. For there area it will be in Aug.

But for Now what i'm getting Good old solid 3G!  i'm Happy with..it works. And when we get 4G around here if & when if it's Crap i will do like every ones does i Vent about because that's what we Do. We for pay for it we want it to work..b33

0 Likes
LemmyCaution
Enthusiast - Level 1

Same place - (Socal) Same issue. I have posted copious notes at http://www.droidforums.net/forum/motorola-droid-bionic/211972-dropped-4g-data-everyday.html

1 - I restored the phone to earlier OS (.902) (don't ask how)

2- Called Verizon 4 times, tried a few things to no avail.

3- What is really crazy-making abou this entire episode is that VZW personnel either don't know what's wrong or are not cleared to share what's wrong so, when the service provider says 'status normal' it appears to MEthat the phone is at fault so, I dutifully restore it; each time trying slightly different versions of the software etc. Same result. 4g/3g unreliable until re-boot. Then, it lasts 1 to 60 minutes.

4- Verizon sent me a new SIM. The following actions seem to improve service maybe - (I'm doing anecdotal testing afterall):

- cycle between 3g/4g

- pull battery or restart while pressing + - volume

- stop IM services after reboot. Moto/Verizon have requested some changes the IM app and to OS in anticipation of ICS (android 4 rollouts). RAZR gets it first then, Bionic. It appears that Verizon is making some changes to network in advance of the this anticipated ICS update.

5 - All of this is a PIA but, it is understandable. Changes need to be made in an orderly way which takes time. Verizon cannot be completely forthcoming about changes as it would expose it to lawsuits. IF Corporate Law would only realize that coverup and obfuscation just make things worse.

Ask Richard Nixon, Bill Clinton, Eric Holder or any teenage boy caught at 1am with 3 half-dressed girls and a case of beer in the car... ("honest Dad, I was bringing the beer to you and then I saw these three girls standing by their car...Oh their clothes? A crazed dog ripped them off of them. Good thing they weren't hurt." Don't ask).

6 - Bottom line - though I worked from home all day today, data seems to be better.AND  I was able to stream entire podcasts while I was at the gym  near my office yesterday. Could be the SIM, could be that VZW has completed its updates. Could be a dozen other variables.

0 Likes
DeviantWolf
Enthusiast - Level 2

Found this off a Droid Bionic forum, so far it's been working quite well...

"I discovered that if you put the phone into airplane mode, power down. Power up, wait for the apps and everything to boot up, like a solid boot up. Airplane mode will still be engaged, turn it off, while you do this, take a look at your lte signal do a glitch, it flashes from one set of bars to another. One set apears to have more bars, that are finer.

They quickly disapear and you see your usual four bar 4glte signal. At this point, if in a good coverage area(i have two bars al the time at home) I can almost guaruntee your phone wont skip a single beat. I am amazed that this worked so well. I mean, i do not in anyway want to refuse the new hardware i am receiving and becoming a bionic vet... But the fact of the matter is, since i  bought my phone on luanch day, it has NEVER worked this good."

B33
Legend

Well that's news to hear. Now if I.C.S does a good job at being a Good OS that will make it an even better treat..b33

0 Likes