One of my users (a VP) relies heavily on her Exchange calendar. She syncs the same Exchange calendar on her iPad and her Droid Incredible 2. Up until the 4.08.605.3 update everything was working fine, but since the update part of the sync is broken.
If she modifies a pre-existing appointment in Outlook, the change is not reflected on the phone (it works on the iPad, though). New appointments work but not changes to existing appointments.
I have tried resetting the factory defaults, and even had a new phone shipped to me from Verizon support, neither of which helped.
I really don't want to put her back on an iPhone, but might have to if I can't get this one working.
Sorry to hear that, but I'm glad I'm not the only one. They have no solution for me, I ended up putting the user back on their iPhone. I'm going to ask them to replace the Incredible 2 with a global phone that works properly.