using Mifi 4GLTE as primary internet connection?
mari123

I am contemplating using the device as my primary connection and losing the cable. Is this practical? I get good, fast signal from my desktop computer. Also, can I keep the device plugged into ac adapter while using  the device, or will this shorten the battery life?

0 Likes
Re: using Mifi 4GLTE as primary internet connection?
AHepburn

We use our 4510L as our primary internet access - it works fine so long as you don't want to stream a lot of movies or TV shows - that'll eat up your monthly allowance of data real quick! Another issue many of us are having with the 4510L is that it randomly, but regularly, drops the cell signal for periods of time from seconds to a minute or so, every hour. Apparently they're working with the manufacturer on a software upgrade to fix this - in the meantime it's frustrating to have to sit and wait for a connection all the time. When it IS connected the 4G speeds are nice.

As for the battery, we run ours off the battery about 1/2 the time - we're on-line from about 9 am to close to midnight every day. When we first power it up in the morning it's on battery - the battery dies about 3-4 hours later so we plug it in for a few hours. ONce it's charged up again we may leave it plugged in, or we may unplug it. I don't know if it makes a difference in battery life or not - but it does run hotter when it's plugged in.

0 Likes
where

WHY O WHY O WHY O WHY would you want to do that ??!

WIth all the issues Verizon is having with the MiFi, why would you get rid of what is probably a perfectly good, reliable, and fast always-on internet connection to replace it with a slow, unreliable, buggy, quirky, and poorly supported solution?!

??!!

Buyer beware.  Do your research and read the issues in this forum before you swallow the poison...

0 Likes
John_Getzke
Champion - Level 1

My 2 Cents:

You cant beat a cable connection when it comes to home Internet  (Lets not talk about FIOS).  They are rusty and trusty and would always be my first choice when given a decision.  People are comfortable with a uncapped and fast connection that a cable ISP can provide.

That being said a MiFi is practical if you can exercise discipline with your internet connection.  You need to make a habit out of monitoring your data plan to make sure you arent going over every month.  Verizon makes it easy for you to make a mistake and one bad month might wipe out any savings you would have made by making the switch.

Charging a battery will always degrade the life.  This is a mechanic of all batterys and they naturally degrade over time with more use.  Better and bigger batterys will last longer, but ultimately you will have to replace them.  If you had to leave your MiFi turned on and plugged in 24x7 then I would suggest removing the battery until you need to move the MiFi.  That or you could purchase a 2nd battery for the road and swap them out accordingly.

0 Likes
Not applicable
It's called "mobile broadband" for a reason. Keep your cable for home internet.
0 Likes