Re: "Broadband" speeds?
pderoo12

Yes, I've seen that site before. I'm between two VZW towers, one about 2 miles from me, the other about 7 miles away, but the VZW coverage map does show that I'm in a solid 3G service area.

I will try your other suggestions and see if I can't better the reception. I just wish they'd put cable in our area, but I doubt that will ever happen and neither will DSL because our "lines are too old to handle voice and data" according to Verizon. Thanks for the suggestions!

0 Likes
budone
Legend

pderoo12 wrote:

Yes, I've seen that site before. I'm between two VZW towers, one about 2 miles from me, the other about 7 miles away, but the VZW coverage map does show that I'm in a solid 3G service area.

I will try your other suggestions and see if I can't better the reception. I just wish they'd put cable in our area, but I doubt that will ever happen and neither will DSL because our "lines are too old to handle voice and data" according to Verizon. Thanks for the suggestions!

Keep in mind unlike most other providers, VZW maps do not show how strong a signal will be, just if there is one. A huge negative in my opinion.

0 Likes
pderoo12

Yea I know, I have what I call "the cornfield zone" between home and work where I lose signal and sometimes my calls get dropped. Usually here at home I get a pretty good signal strength on my phone tho. I'm really counting on my new phone giving me a better signal strength.

Does anybody have opinions on smartphones? I was leaning towards the iPhone, but my boss has a Droid and loves it. My biggest concern is security. I know how to lock down my PC and laptop pretty well, but I have never had a phone with an OS.

0 Likes
jamackw

I just found out that if you are in the top 5% of data users and you are in an area where a lot of data is being used your data speed will drop.  Mine dropped to like .03 and .05 on speedtest my phone read 1.5 and 1.4 during this time frame.  So long for unlimited DATA.  I am not happy with Verizon at all right now.   Have been with them for 12 years and have had unlimited data for a while now.

0 Likes
pderoo12

Yea I'm not exactly pleased with them right now either. I average about 2.3GB a month.

0 Likes