Why is VZ pushing their new USB broadband device?
Gil
I've got a PCMCIA card wireless modem on VZ, works great.  I keep getting promotions from the company to switch to a new USB device.  The "advantages" seem minimal.  Does anyone know why the big push?
0 Likes
1 Solution

Correct answers
Re: Why is VZ pushing their new USB broadband device?
SMRyan
Contributor - Level 2

PCMCIA cards fair well I know, but I would think VZW would push the USB more simply for the ease of plug and play compatability that people trend to like. Although performance wise they may fair the same as far as BUS speeds, I would again assume it's simply for the convenience of being able to plug the card in and go without less issues (drivers, etc..) as USB 2.0 is friendly with most Operating Systems.

Also, you're probably being prompted because of the fact you are most likely eligible to upgrade and just like with a phone, it will automatically prompt with that information even if the phone, or in this case device, is working fine. But again, if your PCMCIA card is working fine then, no worries right?

That's my opinion :smileyhappy:

Message Edited by SMRyan on 03-20-2009 07:13 PM
Message Edited by SMRyan on 03-20-2009 07:14 PM

View solution in original post

0 Likes
SMRyan
Contributor - Level 2

PCMCIA cards fair well I know, but I would think VZW would push the USB more simply for the ease of plug and play compatability that people trend to like. Although performance wise they may fair the same as far as BUS speeds, I would again assume it's simply for the convenience of being able to plug the card in and go without less issues (drivers, etc..) as USB 2.0 is friendly with most Operating Systems.

Also, you're probably being prompted because of the fact you are most likely eligible to upgrade and just like with a phone, it will automatically prompt with that information even if the phone, or in this case device, is working fine. But again, if your PCMCIA card is working fine then, no worries right?

That's my opinion :smileyhappy:

Message Edited by SMRyan on 03-20-2009 07:13 PM
Message Edited by SMRyan on 03-20-2009 07:14 PM
0 Likes
Canada

Gil wrote:
I've got a PCMCIA card wireless modem on VZ, works great.  I keep getting promotions from the company to switch to a new USB device.  The "advantages" seem minimal.  Does anyone know why the big push?

Because they're a for-profit company which stays in business by selling new hardware and additional service ?  Just my guess.  I badly want them to stay in business.

0 Likes