Verison Cell Modem (Novatel usb760)
trailertrash
Re: USB760 & Linux: memory card usable?[ New ]

Unfortunately it does not support Linux. 

James
Verizon Wireless
South Area Operations

Here is a reply which is about one year old but the question of Linux drivers remains.  

Verison Wireless states above that "....it does not support Linux" but the manufacturer, Novatel claims otherwise (check their website).    Are we to think that Verison simply does not care to support Linux?   This is not something which inspires confidence I would think.    I am using Vista now only because I must in order to use my Verison Wireless device, not because I want to.   I much prefer almost any flavor of Linux.   

Hopefully James at Verison will discover that the statement pasted above is not true.    The USB760 is usable on Linux.   Verison has build in the drivers for MS and Apple into the device.   They could as easily include those for Linux.    Should they decide to do so they will be hailed as leaders in the wireless market.   

Well I have some time to go before renewing my contract.    If by that time Verison still trys to tell us that this device "does not support Linux" Probably the wife and I will change all of our Verison business to whoever else can serve our wireless needs.

C'mon Verison....   at least tell the truth about your failure to provide drivers for Linux.    Sounds to me like the gods of "proprietary" are runing the show (as usual).

0 Likes
Re: Verison Cell Modem (Novatel usb760)
JB21386
Contributor - Level 1

trailertrash wrote:
Re: USB760 & Linux: memory card usable?[ New ]

Unfortunately it does not support Linux. 

James
Verizon Wireless
South Area Operations

Here is a reply which is about one year old but the question of Linux drivers remains.  

Verison Wireless states above that "....it does not support Linux" but the manufacturer, Novatel claims otherwise (check their website).    Are we to think that Verison simply does not care to support Linux?   This is not something which inspires confidence I would think.    I am using Vista now only because I must in order to use my Verison Wireless device, not because I want to.   I much prefer almost any flavor of Linux.   

Hopefully James at Verison will discover that the statement pasted above is not true.    The USB760 is usable on Linux.   Verison has build in the drivers for MS and Apple into the device.   They could as easily include those for Linux.    Should they decide to do so they will be hailed as leaders in the wireless market.   

Well I have some time to go before renewing my contract.    If by that time Verison still trys to tell us that this device "does not support Linux" Probably the wife and I will change all of our Verison business to whoever else can serve our wireless needs.

C'mon Verison....   at least tell the truth about your failure to provide drivers for Linux.    Sounds to me like the gods of "proprietary" are runing the show (as usual).

What he really should of said was "we don't support it working with Linux". That is pretty standard, AT&T it the same way with thier devices. I'm not saying it is right, it's just the way it is. I have the USB760 working with Ubuntu. I am no Linux expert by far, but I was able to get it working. Here is what I used:

http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=1002262&highlight=usb760

0 Likes
techismylife
Contributor - Level 1

For all the Linux users you can get around the support from verizon by getting one of these babies and having act as a go between

http://www.3gstore.com/cradlepoint

or if you have the weekend to play around go to Sprints Website and download the Linux Setup Guide for their Usb760 :smileywink:

http://www6.sprint.com/downloads/linux/pdfs/Sprint_Mobile_broadband_Setup_Guide_for_Linux_1.4.1.pdf

Think Outside the Box.  Verizon needs to support linux

0 Likes
JB21386
Contributor - Level 1

techismylife wrote:

For all the Linux users you can get around the support from verizon by getting one of these babies and having act as a go between

http://www.3gstore.com/cradlepoint

or if you have the weekend to play around go to Sprints Website and download the Linux Setup Guide for their Usb760 :smileywink:

http://www6.sprint.com/downloads/linux/pdfs/Sprint_Mobile_broadband_Setup_Guide_for_Linux_1.4.1.pdf

Think Outside the Box.  Verizon needs to support linux

Yes, buy from the 3G store his is ALWASY pimping. :smileymad:

He is looking for drivers, not a $100.00+ device

0 Likes
TPWolf

UPDATE on the method cited (4 years ago) in that ubuntuforums.org link:

I just got it work, but for the second gedit command line, the last subfolder name was different.  I had to drill down through directories to determine the full path to use.

The bold item below is the subfolder name I had to find and change, based on my particular Ubuntu 12.04 install:

sudo gedit /etc/udev/rules.d/70-persistent-cd.rules

find the line that contains "Novatel_Mass_Storage" and append the following to it:

RUN+="/usr/bin/eject %k"

save and close

sudo gedit /usr/share/hal/fdi/information/20thirdparty/10-modem.fdi

Add this in there:

<!-- Verizon USB760-->

<match key="@info.parent:usb.vendor_id" int="0x1410">

<match key="@info.parent:usb.product_id" int="0x6000">

<match key="@info.parent:usb.interface.number" int="0">

<append key="info.capabilities" type="strlist">modem</append>

<append key="modem.command_sets" type="strlist">IS-707-A</append>

</match>

</match>

</match>

save and close.

Now plug in your card... click the network applet and select 'Auto mobile broadband (CDMA) connection'...

At this point I was prompted to enter country and broadband provider.  After doing that, I was connected immediately.

My only concern now is that I have no way to see my bandwidth usage in realtime.

0 Likes