Re: VZAccess Manager usage amount rollbacks/inaccurate
Greg4Wireless
Enthusiast - Level 3

Actually, reading the previous post.  Most likely  that's Verizon's thinking. 

(1) That we will all be so conscious about our usage, we WON'T use much, conceivably using MUCH LESS than our 5GB that we

are paying for?  In that sense, we should get credit on the next month for the UNUSED GB that we didn't use in the previous

month.  YEAH... FAT CHANCE of that happening . .. . .

(2) After many complaints about the VZ Manager constantly not working as far as retrieving usage, and the fact that the TOTALS

it DOES report are inaccurate and behind at least 3 days..... Verizon is betting that you will still continue to use your connection

although you have NO WAY of accurately calculating your use.  In the end, its PROFIT for Verizon because they end up

banging your account for outrageous overage charges.....

Maybe we need to complain to the better business bureau (especially if you are hit with high overage charges). At least its

documented as a complaint.  You might get Verizon to take the excess charges off ONCE, but then again you're stuck in a

contract.  the BBB got me out of my HUGHESNET contract.  IF you're fed up with this, its worth a try to get out of your

Verizon contract. 

I guess I will decide personally after my first months bill arrives.

VERIZON, YOU STILL NEED TO GET THE VZAM "USAGE TAB" TO WORK, AND TO REPORT ACCURATE USAGE STATS!

0 Likes
CorkyMcDoogle

I recently sent a complaint to Verizon about the crazy usage readings and also asking if there was any plans on increasing the cap limit or adding an option higher than 5gb. Their response was that many people complain about the software/inaccurrate usage readings and that they had no forseeable plans to add any bigger options.

This is disappointing. 5gb for an entire month just isn't a reasonable amount of bandwidth for a typical internet user. But, like most people that use it, it's my only option if I want anything other than dial up.

0 Likes
Greg4Wireless
Enthusiast - Level 3

So, the people at Verizon ARE aware that the VZAM does NOT report accurate usage.  WHAT, THEN, IS THE BASIS FOR CHARGING US OVERAGES at the end of the billing cycle?????????????????????????????????????????????????

surely, the moderators read these posts.  You'd think they could pass along the comments to their information systems

division or to the engineers who wrote the crappy software.

I've wrote Verizon THREE times about this issue.  at these email addresses, and only got "canned" responses.

Verizon Wireless Data Technical Support vzwkanacswirelessdata@gl.verizonwireless.com

vzwkanacsWirelessData@HQ.Verizonwireless.com

I laughed at their response when they told me to make sure I was in area serviced by Verizon.  If I wasn't and wasn't online, HOW would I have been writing that email ? ? ? ?

Its just an endless loop of passing the problem off to another area, all without resolution!

0 Likes
Greg4Wireless
Enthusiast - Level 3

Just to prove this usage data is still inaccurate . . . .

Yesterday, sunday, August 2, around 10:00PM CST, I checked my account to see if my usage has reset.

It said my usage had RESET on 8/3/09 @ 12:14AM.  WHAT???????????????????????? that has not even happened yet!

I check it again this morning @ 8:03AM on 8/3/09, and it says "AS OF 8/3/09 10:10AM, your usage was 0 MB".

WHAT???????????????????/ That hasn't happened yet either!

At one time, the usage was THREE DAYS BEHIND, now its a day AHEAD?

My total usage jumped from 5.11GB on 7/25 to and ending 6.87GB on 8/1 (end of cycle)?

That's 1.76GB extra usage that suddenly JUMPED ahead.  Of course, the VZAM usage monitor is ALWAYS behind, and you

can almost never get a reading.

I will be surprised what my bill will be!  I'm going to refer them back to this forum, and the issues myself and some others have

experienced with this issue.

Obviously, Verizon isn't listening, as they'd have the issue with the usage monitor fixed at this point.

0 Likes
Greg4Wireless
Enthusiast - Level 3

The updating of our usage on our mobile broadband plan still continues to be flawed.

Last month I was hit with 1.8GB in overages. Once I proved how inaccurate the updating system is (I had DETAILED logs),

they took the overages off my bill.

Read all the previous posts of the inaccuracies how your usage is reported.

ONCE AGAIN, I'm seeing the SAME trend.  Usage isn't updated for three days....When it is, its high, then low.

For example.....

8/6/09 as of 10:15AM I'd used......596MB

8/7/09 as of   9:48AM I'd used.......958MB (NO WAY............)

8/7/09 as of   5:54PM I'd used.......706MB (Usage rolled back 200MB).

This is where the reporting system is FLAWED.    The way it increments rapidly in 1 day, then it rolls back the day after.

HOW CAN WE RELY ON ANY OF THIS DATA USAGE TO BE ACCURATE?

I keep up with my own data usage with NetMeter/NetWorx   According to them, I've only used about 600MB as of 8/6 (which would have been accurate according to VZAM usage on that day...however PM, not AM)

SO, how did I use 200MB in 1 day when I wasn't even at home that day (computer off).............Then I'm suddenly "forgiven" for this usage.....No one at Verizon has been able to explain how USAGE ROLLS BACK!

I guess I'll just use that I need, and end up calling Verizon billing AGAIN at the end of the billing cycle, and tell them about this.

(or even better, a credit card dispute later on).

VERIZON MODS! I know you read these posts. Why can't you relay this to your engineering team???????

0 Likes
CorkyMcDoogle

I'm glad to hear they took the overages off of your bill. That makes me less worried if the same happens to me. I shouldn't have to pay for something I have no way of keeping track of.

Thanks

0 Likes
blacksheepfoto

I am SO glad I found this post. I've been scratching my head since I had almost $200 in overage last month. Now I have the proof to dispute it.

I checked my bills....and found numerous accounts of IMPOSSIBLE usage readings....example...

12:15 10MB

12:16  0MB

12:16 124MB

Now correct me if I am wrong...that would mean I had a connection speed of 2.06MB a second (or conservatively 1.9MB based on the previous 10MB usage reading)?!!?!??!?!!?

Am I missing something or am I right on my math?

There is know way in hell I am getting anywhere close to that kind of speed!!! We are talking 8-10Mb(megabit) CABLE speeds!!!

I am calling tomorrow and demanding a refund if this is right, and it looks like it is.

0 Likes
Doodle

I wasn't able to get them to take the overage off my bill until the guy called me a lair. They showed me online when I came home to find my house broken into and I was calling 911. The computer was off (even unplugged) the verizon device was in a drawer. They credited my account and are sending me a new device, but would not explain who was using my verizon. They said a page was accessed but would not tell me what page. They claimed for sercurity purposes, I let them know that it was my internet and they should be able to tell me what pages I was looking at. The verizon people are crazy. If this happens again I want out of this contract. I just wanted help to find out what was going on, not to be called a lair. I've been watching my usage increase like wildfire. At this rate I will be over in 2 weeks. My average for the 7 months with verizon is 3500, I have not change the way I use the internet.

0 Likes
hdixon3

I am having the exact same problem this month.  The billing cycle they are charging me overages is 8/14/09-9/13/09.  The strange thing is.....under my detailed usage on My Verizon....these dates are completely missing.  My detailed usage jumps from 7/24/09 all the way to 9/14/09.  Consistently for nine months I have used 4gb and then last month they're saying I went 1gb over my allowance?  There is absolutely no way.

I called customer service and they have no idea what is going on.  I also looked on my log in VZAccess and there are only 3 dates logged that total up to 500mb.  I'm not sure what is going on, however, it doesn't sound like I am alone in this circus.  If anyone has any ideas, I'm all ears!

0 Likes
najach
Enthusiast - Level 3

Wow, glad I found this thread. I thought once before that the readings were wrong... but I had no proof. Well, I WOULD have had proof had the VZAM not screwed up and corrupted the data of my concurrently run bandwidth monitor. Ever since using these things I downloaded a copy of FreeMeter, a free bandwidth monitor. When the VZAM crashes or disconnects, it forces the FreeMeter to completely shut off, and also corrupt my Counter (erasing the upload/download/total and starting dates I set)... so... there went all the evidence.

Not only do I not trust Verizon's little hack of a program, the connection is so crappy even though I'm in a good area. It insists I have good coverage, yet trying to watch a video or download something is horrible! Especially when watching videos; if I pause to let it buffer and catch up... it'll just stop downloading. And likewise with a recent download; it's impossible to get, 'cause Verizon calls it quits after just a few mb. I can't resume since it called it done.... it's so dumb.

Finland has Broadband as a legal right... why can't we?... Or at least raise the cap to 30gig or something, like some real internet service providers. 5gig is ridiculous! I've had to get a FF plugin, too, called ImgLikeOpera to make sure I don't redownload images in my cache or just allowing me to load the images I want to see. Besides, Verizon charges so much for a 5 gig cap, whereas the UNLIMITED data plan for smart phones costs HALF! Since we're already paying double, at least give us unlimited, too... double the price is MORE THAN ENOUGH to profit from the convenience of a usb device, and we already know they're able to give unlimited data to customers. I have no choice but to either go 3G or go without internet entirely. I don't have a cable outlet or even a phone jack, so I need 3G.

Blah, too bad I'm stuck on their awful 2-yr contract. Even with a smart phone, they still trap you.... making you buy minutes, too... so the cost would end up being the same:

Unlimited data + Minutes/voice = 5gig data.... that just makes no sense.

0 Likes