Two questions, trying to pick up free wireless....
andreah

First question, I just got a new Mini 10 and brought it to work because there is free wireless in our city.  My access manager is showing it but no bars so I'm assuming the signal is extremely bad where I'm trying it.  When I try to connect it says "Failed to Connect", would the low signal be the reason?  When I try to connect thru the dell connection it shows the signal as being about 40-50% and when I hit connect it does nothing at all.  Any ideas here?

Second question is I have a um150 that I use to connect at home on my desktop (also now using on my netbook), I was thinking I'd like to get a router so that I can be on the desktop and the hubby can play with the net book if he wants....can I do this and if so, can you recommend a cheap and EASY router that will do the trick?  Thanks for your help!!!

0 Likes
Re: Two questions, trying to pick up free wireless....
JB21386
Contributor - Level 1

andreah wrote:

First question, I just got a new Mini 10 and brought it to work because there is free wireless in our city.  My access manager is showing it but no bars so I'm assuming the signal is extremely bad where I'm trying it.  When I try to connect it says "Failed to Connect", would the low signal be the reason?  When I try to connect thru the dell connection it shows the signal as being about 40-50% and when I hit connect it does nothing at all.  Any ideas here?

Second question is I have a um150 that I use to connect at home on my desktop (also now using on my netbook), I was thinking I'd like to get a router so that I can be on the desktop and the hubby can play with the net book if he wants....can I do this and if so, can you recommend a cheap and EASY router that will do the trick?  Thanks for your help!!!

It has been my experience that most netbook don't have a very powerful internal wireless card, so the low signal where you are located is probably why you can not connect.

You can do this, yes. They have routers that are made for this (http://www.cradlepoint.com/), but be warned they are not cheap. They are easy to use though.

0 Likes
andreah

So you are saying I can't use any "run of the mill" router like in Walmart, etc?  Crud.  What about if I went Mifi instead of what I have?

Also, do they sell antennas that could be plugged into the netbook to up the possibilities of picking up the free wifi?  

0 Likes
JB21386
Contributor - Level 1

andreah wrote:

So you are saying I can't use any "run of the mill" router like in Walmart, etc?  Crud.  What about if I went Mifi instead of what I have?

Also, do they sell antennas that could be plugged into the netbook to up the possibilities of picking up the free wifi?  

Yeah, no go on the "run of the mill" type routers. The reason is you have to have a special kind of router to use it with a 3G modem from Verizon.

You can't really use an antenna, since they wireless card in built into your netbook. You can though purchase external wireless cards that have a better range. I have a Linksys WUSB 100 they seems to work better then the internal build in wireless card on my netbook.

0 Likes
andreah

Ok, I'll try the external card (if it doesn't cost too much!)....and think that maybe when I'm due for my two year new deal I'll look into the Mifi instead of the usb card that I use for my desktop.  It's my understanding that the Mifi works as a router?

0 Likes
JB21386
Contributor - Level 1

Yeah, sorrry I missed that part. THe MiFi allows you to connect multiple (I think up to 5?) devices with the MifI to the internet.

0 Likes
andreah1

Well,at least one problem solved,the mifi will work fine at home!  Now just have to find an adapter for work and free wifi!  Thanks!

0 Likes
larrytheG

I thought the mini had internal 3G and you did not need the air card?  the cradlepoint router is more flexible than the Mifi in my view but again.. I was under the impression that if you had ONE broadband plan that Verizon would only let you connect one device - a cellular router being a way to use multiple devices to access one plan.

maybe I need some info also.

0 Likes
JB21386
Contributor - Level 1

larrytheG wrote:

I thought the mini had internal 3G and you did not need the air card?  the cradlepoint router is more flexible than the Mifi in my view but again.. I was under the impression that if you had ONE broadband plan that Verizon would only let you connect one device - a cellular router being a way to use multiple devices to access one plan.

maybe I need some info also.

If you have a mini, or some other device that has internal 3G, then Verizon will only let you connect one device since the 3G is built into that device. If you have a 3G modem, you can connection multiple devices if you have something like a cradlepoint router that allows the connect to be shared. 

The MiFI acts as both. You can use it like a USB 3G modem, or you use it as a stand alone router and connect more then one (I think up to 5) devices to it using it's internal WiFi radio.

0 Likes
andreah1

Yes, you are misunderstanding, my mini just has a regular 802.11 b/g card, NO verizon 3G.  I have a verizon wireless usb card (and plan) for my desktop because that's all we can pick up in the country.  So, I brought the mini to work in hope of picking up free wireless but it's just shy of being able to get it, I only show one bar on my verzion access manager and on the windows wireless software it shows that it's not strong enough to connect.  When I use the um150 usb card I have right now there isn't any better pick up.  Which is why I was looking for a way to boost the strength of the mini to pick up the free wireless....will an external usb wireless network adaptor (say an "n") have a better chance at picking it up?

Also, looks like the Mifi won't work at home either to use as a router, it has no place for an antenna that I can see and I need it at home to be able to get a decent signal.  Which is why I like my um150 at home as I can attach a larger antenna to it, works great then. 

0 Likes