Re: Two questions, trying to pick up free wireless....
larrytheG

yes.. you can use the MiFI for five devices connecting via WiFi but not five devices like USB modems. right?

so if you have a mini and a USB dongle modem... and one account.. a MiFI won't help that (if you still want to use the air card) but a Cradlepoint router WILL - right?   Of course if a computer has Wi-FI and CAN connect to the MiFI.. then why use an aircard dongle anyhow?  unless of course you've got two computers trying to use the same plan but in different locations to use the MiFI together?

My UM-175 not sits uselessly on the window sill next to my MiFi that two laptops can connect to but when one of those laptops goes on the road - it either takes the MiFI or leaves it and one computer no longer has access..

right?

how do you fix that problem without the two computers able to use two different devices that access the same data account?

0 Likes
andreah1

The router situation I'm only looking for at home and don't want to spend 200 bucks for that as I really don't need anything that great, do you think a cheap netgear mobile broadband router will work well enough?  We're talking mainly sitting on the couch with the netbook and not having to drag the dongle along with me.  If I got the mifi it would replace the dongle, I don't want both.  BUT, like I said, the mifi wouldn't work for me because I need to be able to put an external antenna (the one I have is about 2 ft. tall) on it.   So, what if I got a netgear mobile broadband router, kept my dongle (as the main connection) and used the netbook in the living room (it has a wireless card so I could recognize the router, right?)...would that work?  Boy, I'm feeling pretty darn brainless at this point, ha ha!!!!

I do still plan on looking for a "n" external wireless usb adaptor that I could use at work to hopefully pick up the free wireless...

0 Likes
JB21386
Contributor - Level 1

larrytheG wrote

how do you fix that problem without the two computers able to use two different devices that access the same data account?

Can't fix this problem. Verizon won't allow you to have two 3G devices on the same data account.

So if the two deivces are not around eachother, a MiFi won't do much good. The MiFi has both internal 3G and Wifi..so its basically like a wireless router, it allows you to share the connection with multiple devices, that are in range of it.

0 Likes
larrytheG

she says that her mini can't pick up sufficient WiFi signal at work but I also though I heard her say that the USB would not either (was that with or without the ext antenna?)

if you have a wi-fi signal but cannot lock on.. will this help?

http://www.pepwave.com/products/surf/

0 Likes
JB21386
Contributor - Level 1

andreah1 wrote:

The router situation I'm only looking for at home and don't want to spend 200 bucks for that as I really don't need anything that great, do you think a cheap netgear mobile broadband router will work well enough?  We're talking mainly sitting on the couch with the netbook and not having to drag the dongle along with me.  If I got the mifi it would replace the dongle, I don't want both.  BUT, like I said, the mifi wouldn't work for me because I need to be able to put an external antenna (the one I have is about 2 ft. tall) on it.   So, what if I got a netgear mobile broadband router, kept my dongle (as the main connection) and used the netbook in the living room (it has a wireless card so I could recognize the router, right?)...would that work?  Boy, I'm feeling pretty darn brainless at this point, ha ha!!!!

I do still plan on looking for a "n" external wireless usb adaptor that I could use at work to hopefully pick up the free wireless...

I did not know netgear makes a 3G broadband router, so I am not sure how that would work out. As far as the an having to have an external antenna, is that because you don't get good cell reception in your house?

A wireless "n" external adapter is only going to help if they are also running wireless n. Both the wireless AP ( the thing you connect to) and your wireless adapter have to have N in order to see the speed difference. I would buy one that does both wireless G and N, that was you are covered no matter what.

0 Likes
JB21386
Contributor - Level 1

larrytheG wrote:

she says that her mini can't pick up sufficient WiFi signal at work but I also though I heard her say that the USB would not either (was that with or without the ext antenna?)

if you have a wi-fi signal but cannot lock on.. will this help?

http://www.pepwave.com/products/surf/

I have never seen thoes, but if it works as described that should help. Good find.

0 Likes
JB21386
Contributor - Level 1

Also, Netgear does make a 3G wireless router for about a $110.00

http://www.netgear.com/Products/RoutersandGateways/3GMobileBroadband/MBR624GU.aspx

0 Likes
andreah1

Yes, need an antenna because of poor cell coverage, but still extrememly thankful we're able to do that!  The link above (pepwave) is interesting! 

Netgear does make a 3g router and it's alot cheaper.....I think the best way to find out is to try it I guess!  : )

Thanks on the "g" explanation, I will definitely look for one that does both.  I'm in a large building but right at the window and the signal is so close I can taste it, ha ha...just seems that neither the card in the mini nor my um150 will bring it in close enough which is why I will try an adapter and see what happens.  Again, I think I'll have to just buy one and try it, worst case scenario it won't workand I'll have to return it and stick with dragging around the um150, which isn't a bad thing but was hoping to not have to!

0 Likes
andreah1

Found some cheap used net gears on ebay, think I'll try that first before I put any bigger money into it!

0 Likes
jnestell
Contributor - Level 2

So do think if you had a 3G modem next to the window, then the signal would be stronger?  I ask this because if so, the Mifi might work then.  Since it is also a wifi router you could just leave the Mifi on the window sill and still be able to pick up the connection while sitting on your couch.  Obviously the **bleep**her you are from a window, etc, the weaker the signal strength will be. 

The verizon Mifi will allow up to 5 devices to connect at one time as long as it is not tethered to a device.  Also if you have doubts about the Mifi, just get it and test out how the signal strength is.

0 Likes