Seemingly no good solution to getting consistently good call reception in my home
dhinged
Contributor - Level 1

For years Verizon's phone call reception and quality has gone downhill in my city, and my home and area seem to be interference vortexes, so I've been trying to find solutions because I've been losing opportunities due to bad reception, interrupted conversations (mangled or blank speech), and dropped calls. Even walking or driving around my area doesn't improve much. I simply can't afford to continue with this for long before jumping to another carrier.

I inherited the 3G extender (Samsung SCS-2U01) from someone on my account (who just left for another carrier partially for the same problems), but even after going through the instructions and Verizon chat/phone support several times, it just blinks red (for the SYS light, meaning "abnormal") with apparently no solutions available besides taking it into a Verizon store and throwing more spaghetti at the wall in hopes of a fix or swap-out to the 4G model which Verizon should do for me for free due to us already paying $250 for an extender.

One Verizon tech recommended enabling WiFi-calling on my phone (which is 3G/4G), but that shows a screen saying I need to add an address, which will be used in an emergency, but the problem is that it recommends I change the address (manually I guess) each time I connect to a different WiFi... which is completely infeasible. I may change WiFis 2 or 3 or more times per day depending on which ones I trust, and I only need it on my home WiFi.

Is there any solution to this before jumping to another carrier? Can I use WiFi calling JUST with my home WiFi and address without having it activate on other WiFis at other addresses? What are my chances of swapping the 3G extender at Verizon for a 4G extender at no charge?

Right now I feel like Verizon is pushing me into a no-solution or an unfeasible solution situation, or to another carrier. Just to put pudding on top, T-Mobile in my area apparently has better coverage, is cheaper, has faster data which is "unlimited", and gives an extender for $25 for the life of the account. So I need a solution before I investigate any further to jumping ship, which I never thought I would do.

0 Likes
Re: Seemingly no good solution to getting consistently good call reception in my home
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

Your post history tells me you’ve tried just everything there is (https://community.verizonwireless.com/thread/931954 ) . We value you as our customer and don’t want you to leave.
When it comes to your setup, truth be told, in my opinion it’s best to ditch the network extender all together and use the wifi calling instead.

I’m in your same shoes, at home I must rely on wifi calling, but when I’m out and about it’s not needed. I recommend to keep the emergency number as your home address, and when away keep it the same. The reason for abandoning the network extender is that I’ve seen in the past where network extender used in parallel to wifi calling can cause more issue that just one being used. 
DavidH_VZW

Follow us on Twitter @VZWSupport

If my response answered your question please click the �Correct Answer� button under my response. This ensures others can benefit from our conversation. Thanks in advance for your help with this!!

0 Likes
Re: Seemingly no good solution to getting consistently good call reception in my home
jav6
Champion - Level 3

The SYS light blinking RED on your 3G Network Extender indicates failure to communicate to the Verizon Wireless Network.  This communication is thru the Extender's LAN port to your local router and thru your internet provider.  Could it be there is a router firewall configuration issue blocking the ports required for communication to the Verizon gateway?  What is your internet service?  Chances are, the 4G LTE Network Extender would have similar issues.

...Just another VZW customer...trying to offer some assistance...
0 Likes
jav6
Champion - Level 3

Regarding your network extender issues, did you call/chat Verizon and have them activate your extender's MAC address?  Does your local router have IPsec Passthrough (VPN Tunneling) turned ON?

...Just another VZW customer...trying to offer some assistance...
0 Likes