Remote Access over LTE
aollama

Hi there,

I am a new (and thankful) customer to Verizon 4G LTE.  I live in a rural area and have no hardline broadband and have run the gamut of dialup -> Hughes One Way -> Hughes Two Way -> Sprint 3G before Verizon made it to my home.

When I am connected over Sprint 3G I don't have any problem accessing assets inside my home network (like my Cradlepoint router or my Synology NAS), but ever since switching to LTE I can no longer do that.  Everything works fine inside my home network, the only problem is outside.  DynDNS shows as current however the IP address being set is a private 10.x.x.x address instead of a normal externally accessible one.

Is this "just the way it is" on Verizon 4G LTE?  Is there a way (likely requiring $$) to get an externally accessible IP?  HomeFusion users appear to be reporting that this is not the case for them and it would also seem that they get more bandwidth/$ if the only usage of the SmartShare plan is for data cards like I am doing.

0 Likes
1 Solution

Correct answers
Re: Remote Access over LTE
John_Getzke
Champion - Level 1

We have had to deal with this limitation ever since the new LTE network went live.  Traditional public IP networking tricks and tactics are blocked by the LTE NAT Firewall.  There are no feasibly easy workarounds for it unless you wanted to look into VPN tunnels and such.

I have read similar threads on HomeFusion being a sudo solution.  The HomeFusion device apparently has a configuration setting that allows you to tamper with the firewall and open it up to your personal devices.  Unfortunately I do not have access to a HomeFusion router to confirm any of those claims.  When it comes to public IP's I certainly have my doubts that it works as advertised.

You can pony up and purchase a static IP from VZW but its going to cost you a few hundred dollars to do so.

View solution in original post

0 Likes
Re: Remote Access over LTE
John_Getzke
Champion - Level 1

We have had to deal with this limitation ever since the new LTE network went live.  Traditional public IP networking tricks and tactics are blocked by the LTE NAT Firewall.  There are no feasibly easy workarounds for it unless you wanted to look into VPN tunnels and such.

I have read similar threads on HomeFusion being a sudo solution.  The HomeFusion device apparently has a configuration setting that allows you to tamper with the firewall and open it up to your personal devices.  Unfortunately I do not have access to a HomeFusion router to confirm any of those claims.  When it comes to public IP's I certainly have my doubts that it works as advertised.

You can pony up and purchase a static IP from VZW but its going to cost you a few hundred dollars to do so.

0 Likes