Re: Outrageous Usage
Greg4Wireless
Enthusiast - Level 3

So,  EXPLAIN the  HARD CAP on our devices if we're using them ad educational devices???

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Verizon Wireless allows users a hard cap on overage dollars as an educational piece

0 Likes
s2marks

>>>You were projected to have thousands of dollars in overages

I did the Math's in my earlier post, according to the original posters contract, he could have  either $1K in overages or $5K (dependant on his contract), he'll have to respond as to what he was actually billed.  If it were me I'd feel sick if I received a bill for either amount for a service I was expecting to pay $60 for.

>>>How much was your overage?

Let's hope the original poster responds and lets us know.  Regardless though, even if Verizon decided to take it easy on him and quarter his bill, there is no guarantee they would do that for you I or anyone else if the same anomaly in usage occurred. 

>>>>Verizon Wireless allows users a hard cap on overage dollars as an educational piece.   So let's take what you should have paid for and minus it from what you did pay.  Yes, your bill was high but it could have been higher. 

That's part of the problem, it's not a hard cap, if they offered a hard cap that I COULD NOT exceed (before they disabled my service until the end of the month) I could accept that.  But, the way things stand, if something happens that is either unnoticed or out of the control of the wireless user it can have a disastrous effect on their finances.  I don't want to risk that.

In order for me to continue my service I need both the following from Verizon with the 5Gb plan.

• A hard cap that I can set (say at 6Gb) so that I don't risk huge amounts of my hard earned money.
  • Reasonable overage charges, 'double' charges once you exceed the 5Gb limit is perhaps reasonable, 5X or even 25X  plainly is not.

I am seriously considering going back to dialup.  I have no other alternative.  Verizon, please respond.

Thanks s2marks

0 Likes
Protege
Contributor - Level 1

A "Hard cap" refers to someone limiting your bill, that's what I meant.  So in this case if  he was supposed to have 1k in overages he would have only been charged $250 maximum before taxes.  I couldn't find any information on how many times they allow this cap but the point is that they allow you stop a wildfire from spreading in regards to your bill and this allows you to learn how to use your mobile broadband.

s2marks - you may feel sick about having a larger bill than expected, everyone would.  It sucks.  Regardless of how sick you feel about your bill, it comes down to the point that the usage was made.  We can't get credits from out electric company for leaving lights on accidentally or going on vacation, leaving a window open during the summer and leaving your thermostat at 75 degrees causing your AC to run constantly. 

So, the original poster is an unfortunate case but also fortunate.  His bill was limited but his usage was not.  He also received credits towards his balance. If you read around these boards more, you will see verizon wireless take's it easy on a lot of people - not just a few.

Verizon Wireless won't change the way it bills their calling plans because someone doesn't like the way it's billed or how much they can use.  I have no idea how many mobile broadband customers they actually have but most of them seem to be pretty content with the service they pay for.  Sure, lower prices would be sweet. 

In regards to "fair" overage charges, that's why verizon wireless changed from .25 cents per mb to .05 per mb right?  Or did they lower the overage minute to keep gouging us with unfair prices? 

And if you go to dial-up...then I really don't know what to say. 

Hope this helps clear up some information

0 Likes
s2marks

Protege, thanks for your thoughtful reply.

>>>A "Hard cap" refers to someone limiting your bill, that's what I meant.  So in this case if  he was supposed to have 1k in overages he would have only been charged $250 maximum before taxes.  I couldn't find any information on how many times they allow this cap but the point is that they allow you stop a wildfire from spreading in regards to your bill and this allows you to learn how to use your mobile broadband.

I agree this is very cool and not something that I was aware of.

>>>it comes down to the point that the usage was made. 

I hear and understand exactly what you are saying.  The difference between my electric usage and my internet usage is that one is very much more controllable than the other imho.  As I said in my earlier post it sounds like the original poster got a virus or was snagged with some other bit of nasty ware.  If Verizon are going to be cool with him about it regarding the bill then agree that's good customer service.  I hope I receive the same should it ever happen to me.

>>> If you read around these boards more, you will see Verizon wireless take's it easy on a lot of people - not just a few.

Fair comment, but I'd respond that Verizon then realizes the extent of this problem so even more reason to support my idea that we should be allowed to police ourselves.  I'd like to set my hard cap at 5Gb.  I don't want ANY risk of even a $250 bill.  In the case of internet usage I don't think that is too much to ask for.

>>>Verizon Wireless won't change the way it bills their calling plans because someone doesn't like the way it's billed or how much they can use.  

I hope you're not right, I hope they read message boards like this one they provide and see the problems some of its users are having with some of its contracts.

>>>In regards to "fair" overage charges, that's why Verizon wireless changed from .25 cents per mb to .05 per mb right?  Or did they lower the overage minute to keep gouging us with unfair prices? 

No,  I had to call them to get the change in my contract (was as a direct result of this thread) if I had still been on the $0.25 overage plan I wonder if they would have hard capped me at $250.   I don't know, I was delighted to get the change, but I'd still like to be cut off hard and fast each month when I hit that 5Gb limit.  I understand the limit (think it's too small but I DO understand it's there), I just can't monitor it closely enough and pull the plug myself.

>>>And if you go to dial-up...then I really don't know what to say. 

'Good Luck' would be nice 😉 

Don't get me wrong I'm cool with your responses, it's just that I don't think what I am looking for is unreasonable.  If 5Gb of usage cost about 1c per Gb, then why not everything above 5Gb costing the same?  My Electric bill actually gets cheaper per watt hour the more I use.  Also, why not the auto-cap?  This is 2009 computer stuff, I can't believe it's that hard to implement.

>>>Hope this helps clear up some information

Yes the 'forgiveness' bill from Verizon IS a big deal.  Thanks for clarifying.

s2marks

0 Likes
Protege
Contributor - Level 1

You know what s2marks

I have something to say to you

You are absolutely...

cool.  I was unsure how you would take my response to be honest :smileywink:

Good luck if you do go to dial-up as well =D

And in regards to Verizon hard capping it's not totally out of the question.  They currently offer usage controls to set hard limits on calls and messages, so, with that said it may very well be possible.  I hadn't actually thought about usage controls and using it for mobile broadband.  That is a very very very good thought...

I must go back to my lair and dwell on this.

0 Likes
LukeTech
Contributor - Level 1
With enough pressure from customers, that 5GB limit will change.
0 Likes
dave1812
Contributor - Level 1

I don't have a problem with the cap, but I WOULD like to see them do the "rollover" thing like one of the carriers does with monthly minutes.    That would be a good PR move and I wouldn't think it would severely impact the network traffic.

0 Likes
Not applicable

Affordable health care for everyone in this country should be a right, but not wireless broadband.  Government intervention is not the answer.  Supply and demand, competition, and free enterprise market forces will fix the problem.

0 Likes
LukeTech
Contributor - Level 1

jimfitzgerald wrote:

Affordable health care for everyone in this country should be a right, but not wireless broadband.  Government intervention is not the answer.  Supply and demand, competition, and free enterprise market forces will fix the problem.

I agree, but with the rate of consolidation competition is lacking.
0 Likes
Doodle

I also had outrageous usage this month. They capped my bill at $250.00. I went back through the usage data and there was usage reported when I wasn't connected, the laptop was turned off and the device was not plugged in. So far this month I've been watching my usage increase like wildfire. I don't download music, watch videos, etc. I've been playing the same couple of games since I started using verizon 7 months ago. I average 3500 per month.

When I called in they told me I was over my limit on the 5th my month starts on the 2nd. One thing I've also found is that you can not trust the VZ manage, last night it went from 1064. to 17.,

After someone at verizon called me a lair I was put on hold for 30 minutes when they came back on line they credited my account and are sending me a new device. Something and I still don't know what happened to cause the increase. What ever this problem is it is on Verizons end and they need to fix it.

I also told them I'd go back to dial up if I had that kind of bill again and they had better be ready to let me out my contract. I can not pay that kind of bill and live in a rural area and can not get anything else. Dail up may be slow but at least it's unlimited.

0 Likes