MIFI451 data usage
norell9694

Just bought this device last Sunday and Verizon says I have used over 3G's of my 5g allowance.  Anyone else have this problem?  I have not streamed any video or radio.  I have left device on but was told by Verizon to shut it off when not in use and it is using data when I am not on computer.  No DSL is available in my area and I have an autistic son who uses the computer after school and on weekends.  I have been on the computer for most of the day.  I don't understand how I could have used 3.142G in 5 days.  HELP!!!  At this rate my internet bill will be out of this world.

0 Likes
Re: MIFI451 data usage
norell9694

I should have put MIFI4510L in the SUBJECT of this.  I am new to this paying for data vs. DSL/cable connection.

0 Likes
John_Getzke
Champion - Level 1

Hello,

You can request a Data Usage report from Verizon to help you isolate when the problem is happening.  Verizon should be able to tell you the time of day and the ammount of data consumed at each interval.  There may be a way to look it up through your My Verizon Account if you set it up, but I dont have the steps for that process.  Once you know when your data is being consumed you can start to isolate down the running applications which were running at that time and shut them down.

You mentioned that your son also used the computer after school and on the weekends.  I hate to point out the obvious but are you sure you know how he is consuming your data plan while you are not watching him?  He might be streaming a radio station or watching videos on youtube with out you knowing about it. 

Verizon also has an 1-800 number which you can use to check your data plan on the fly.  It is fully automated and updated about every 10-20 minutes.

Until you can isolate the problem I suggest turning off your MiFi.  Verizon will not be sympathetic if you go over your plan and there is no limit to how much you can rack up in overcharges.  I have read forum threads before where the device was defective and was replaced and reimbursed by Verizon, but I wouldnt count on it happening for you until you know more.

0 Likes
norell9694

My son does go to youtube a lot but I was told that this was not "streaming".  I know this uses data but over 3g in 5 days?  He is in bed by 7 and has access for about 4 hours.  He also goes to other sites but no downloading or game playing, mostly youtube and the same videos..  I am going to shut the device off when not in use but that is a pain because I have to reconnect every time I get on this computer.  

0 Likes
John_Getzke
Champion - Level 1
When I first got my hands on a MiFi 4510L the first thing I tried to do was gauge what the 5GB data plan was like. There is a online calculator to help you estimate your consumption but I wanted to know for sure. I also wanted to test out the automatic email alert system to see if I could customize and manage them for multiple users.

Verizon Data Calculator:
http://www.verizonwireless.com/splash_includes/datacalculator.html

In a matter of a few days I easily racked up over 3GB of data on my plan. Streaming a podcast, listing to internet radio and watching movies from Netflix at the same time helped me rack up my plan. I was using the 1-800 number to check on my data plan as I went along so I was never surprised by how much data I was actually using.

Bottom line is that it is possible to go over your limit in the time frame you mentioned. All you have to do is find out what is eating up your plan and then put a stop to it. Just be careful with your plan until you can isolate where the drain is coming from.
0 Likes
Not applicable

norell9694,

I know it can be confusing when you don't understand data usage versus having only DSL previously as you mentioned. I would like to say that YouTube is streaming, along with the services mentioned by the other community members. Any media that you are not downloading is basically going to be steaming instead. I recommend continuing to check the data usage as you are currently doing.

Thank you!

0 Likes
AyaniB_VZW
Verizon Employee

Hi norell9694,

Understanding data usage can be a bit confusing.  Thanks to the community members for their efforts to clarify your concern.   Streaming delivers a steady and continuous stream of data that allows the video to be viewed as the file is being transmitted. Watching YouTube videos does constitute as a streaming video.  Please take some and view our Data Caculator to see the different variables that affect data.  

If you plan on allowing your son to use  more than 5GB's a month I would be happy to review some other plan options with you.  I hope this information is helpful. If you have any additional concerns, please PM me your wireless number.  I look forward to hearing from you soon.

Thanks for your contribution to our community forums, 

0 Likes
AHepburn

Question for AyaniB_VZW: is streaming more data-intensive than downloading? If a youtube video is, say, 50MB in size shouldn't it account for the same amount of data being transferred, or does streaming somehow add more data to the file?

0 Likes
John_Getzke
Champion - Level 1

I know you are asking AyaniB, but I'd like to chime in anyways.

Streaming content is not the same as a downloading a file.  There are unseen packets of info which are used to move the content from thier servers onto your browser.  Data is more than likely being tucked within whatever you are streaming to run statistics and gather information about your computer and similar services that may be running or recently viewed.  It's pretty hard to put a static number on streaming content by design.

Also note that streaming content will bill you for everything that has been downloaded.  This should not be confused to what you have actually viewed.  Lets take Netflix as an example.  Say you start streaming and loading up a movie so you dont have to wait to buffer as you go along.  Before you can finish watching you decide to close down and walk away and continue watching another day.  If the movie was loading ahead of you then you will be billed for everything that has been requested, even though you havent necessarily viewed it yet.  In that example you could end up "paying" for 2-3x the amount of data needed to watch a movie based on how buffering and preloading works.

0 Likes