Large data charge around 12:42 a.m.
imachildagain
Enthusiast - Level 2

I noticed recently that my quantity of usage has increased dramatically. In going back through the data usage log, I see large data amounts around 12:42, 12:43, 12:44 a.m.  I checked one laptop that had automatically Windows update during that time frame, so I disabled it a week ago, but still the usage continues.  I have disabled all automatic updates for any programs from both desktop and 2 laptops.  Every night around 10:00 one laptop is turned off, and about every other night the other laptop is turned off.  So that points me to my desktop, but it  has nothing that I can find that would be using this data.  Our normal data for the entire month is around 2 GB.  Right now I've used 2.5 GB in 1/2 month. 

We rarely view videos (once or twice a month, 4 minutes or so), do not use MySpace, etc., do not upload movies or music, so I'm lost as to how to determine the problem.  I'm hooking up another desktop, but would like to resolve this problem first.  Is there any way to determine from the logs which computer is contributing to this large usage.  The amount of data usage at this time period is from 95 GB to 300 GB every day.

Thanks

0 Likes
1 Solution

Correct answers
Re: Large data charge around 12:42 a.m.
imachildagain
Enthusiast - Level 2

Thank you Jim for the support. I started turning off the desktop and now there are no huge usage charges during the early a.m. time period.  So that is the culprit.  Meanwhile it will just go off every night and I'll get my new desktop working and hopefully it will be okay.

I appreciate your time.

View solution in original post

0 Likes
Not applicable

I would turn off all your computers for an extended period and see what happens.  Are you running a router?  Maybe a neighbor is signed onto your network.

0 Likes
imachildagain
Enthusiast - Level 2

As I run a small business from here and also have no other communication (rural) I rely on this a lot.  yes, there is a router, but nearest neighbor is 2000 feet and on a really good day, the capacity is about 300 ft..  There could be a possibility of someone on the front road, about 200 ft, but it's within minutes the same time between midnight and 1:00 a.m.  I noticed someone else recommending Net Meter, so I might try that as Verizon is ridiculous in updating their logs (2-4 days).  I thought I'd fixed the problem 4-5 days ago and then the logs updated and the problem was still there.  I have watched vehicles (which are rare) as we are virtually at the end of a 5 mile dirt road to make sure they don't stop.  I will try tonight turning off all 3 computers until the a.m. and then have to wait days to see if there are still charges.  I have contacted Verizon about this, but haven't heard back yet.  I'm too new to a router and wireless as we've always had DSL and Linksys, so I wasn't sure if  I could find out which computer was causing the problem.  In fact, if I still show usage after turning off everything, I'll disconnect the Verizon adapter from the Cradlepoint.  I've only had this system for 3 months.  We were hoping to hook up a landline to it as our usage was relatively low, but then this happened.  AT&T promised us for 2 years they would hook up our phone, and now found a loophole that they can charge us $5100. for it, so we're appealing, along with FCC and PUC  If they hadn't given us a work number and a promise we wouldn't assume we could hook up.  And it is legally part of a subdivision, and 700' from us can hook up, but we can't.  Oh the joys of moving!

Thanks for your ideas.

0 Likes
Not applicable

I'm probably the person you saw recommending NetMeter.  The only problem is you will have to install it on all of your computers.  I also have a CradlePoint router with a USB760 and Charter cable.  It works great.  At least with NetMeter on all three computers, you will be able to see which computer and the precise time it is happening.

EDIT:  I was wrong.  With NetMeter you can see the day, but not the time.

0 Likes
imachildagain
Enthusiast - Level 2

Thanks so much.  I'll install Net Meter on the 3  computers currently running and then at least it will tell me which one is causing the problem without waiting days and days to find out through Verizon.

0 Likes
imachildagain
Enthusiast - Level 2

In my original post I incorrectly put 95 GB to 300 GB usage during the midnight to 1:00 range, but this should be MB.  I did turn off both laptops last night and the meter on my laptop that I suspected shows nothing, but of course it will be days before I see Verizon's version of my usage. 

Strangely, after I complained to Verizon yesterday about this high usage during that time period, which I determined started on 12/23/09 (co-incidentally the day of my billing) I looked this a.m. and last night it showed the usual high usage for 1/9 and 1/10, now this a.m. those days are completely missing, but it does show one item for 1/11.

Hard to not know what you are doing, then get such conflicting information.

0 Likes
Not applicable

I used 12.48 MB last night when my Charter cable was down for several hours and I was surfing the web most of that time.  I don't watch any videos or play music when using Verizon.

0 Likes
imachildagain
Enthusiast - Level 2

Oh great, I can see a losing battle.  To be charged for usage while the cable is down is downright insulting.

Of course I got a reply from Verizon Customer Support, and had I thought about it, I would have known that they would not be able to help as they don't supervise networks and the only suggestion is to disconnect my  Verizon connection every time I'm not using it.  (Of course, that is 70' from the bedroom).   Well, that would be if I left the house or went to bed and then my husband wouldn't know what to do to reconnect as he gets up before I do.  They did hope they resolved my problem.

Incredibly at first the 9th and 10th usage were missing, now the 12th is posted and the 9th is back, but the 10th and 11th usage are gone.

I'm at a loss why the usage changed on 12/23 as my son set these all up before we moved out of state and everything was connected and set correctly.  From 11/1 to 12/23 there was no problem.  The large usage started on 12/23 and although I'm open to the idea that theoretically someone could park outside the house and use the connection I doubt that starting 12/23 amid snow, etc. that they would have done it every single a.m. between 12:42-12:50 a.m.  I have changed no settings at all other than recently to discontinue the automatic windows updates on my laptop which were the only ones that were set.

So, I guess I'll just start shutting off all computers at night and wait the 2-4 days and see what happens.  If there is large activity happening on my desktop, perhaps the best I can do is load the programs and data on the brand new desktop and use it. Maybe there is a problem in my oldie patched together computer.

As I'm using the same usage this billing cycle versus the previous one, and the usage is about double, then obviously there is a problem somewhere. It will be interesting when we take our monthly 4 day trip with just my laptop to see the usage during that time period.

I appreciate your help, that you took the time to give me some ideas.  I am new to the meters, but will get used to them and they are a good idea as obviously Verizon has incorrect usage billing.  They can't post to our accounts, but their reply this a.m. let me know the usage since yesterday a.m. which was only 3 GB. 

One other question, the Net Meter, and other programs use some amount of usage to monitor what is going on.  I assume it's minimal?

Thank you so much, and I'll keep monitoring the situation and see if I can figure out, like a good puzzle.

0 Likes
Not applicable

I'm not certain about this, but I don't think NetMeter uses any bandwidth other than to download it.  It is loaded on your computer and runs locally.  Somehow, it measures usage, but I don't think it actually connects to the internet.

0 Likes
imachildagain
Enthusiast - Level 2

Thank you Jim for the support. I started turning off the desktop and now there are no huge usage charges during the early a.m. time period.  So that is the culprit.  Meanwhile it will just go off every night and I'll get my new desktop working and hopefully it will be okay.

I appreciate your time.

0 Likes