Jetpack MiFi 5510L weak signals
Benfdafdafdsafad

Hi - Today I 'upgraded' my HTC Thunderbolt to an iPhone 5s. I used the mobile hotspot previously which worked wonderfully. In addition to the iPhone, I also got this jetpack to connect my devices to share data. The signal strength is not up to par and far worse than my 'old' Thunderbolt's hotspotting capabilities.

Zip code is 60622. Strength is -104 dBm. 2 bars, maybe 3 if I am lucky.

I have removed and re-inserted the SIM card. Without having to throw more money down for a booster or other device, is there anything that I can do to improve the strength?

Help! I just want parity to my previous 'old' phone's capabilities!

Thanks

Ben

0 Likes
1 Solution

Correct answers
Re: Jetpack MiFi 5510L weak signals
Not applicable

Interesting.

I know it might sound weird but take the jetpack outside the building and attempt the master reset again. You should have a better signal strength outside the building and then the jetpack needs to connect with the network authorize the connection and then process the update if the signal strength is too weak it will be unable to do that properly.

If it still shows a bad signal then you will need to take it into a store all VZW stores have great coverage and if the device is still not functioning properly and has a poor signal in a great coverage location a CLNR (certified like new replacement) device or a warranty replacement would then be in order.

Stores should be open tomorrow.

View solution in original post

0 Likes
Not applicable

Boosting signal strength for a 5510L is fairly limited but you perform a master reset the jetpack should re-establish a network connection and reprovision the device to the network.

Master reset is fairly simple.

With device powered on remove the back cover and you should see a hole with "reset" printed next to it. You are going to insert a paperclip or tooth pick into that hole to depress the reset button while the jetpack is turned on and NOT CHARGING. Keep holding it down until the device turns off then you can let go and the device should boot back up automatically if it doesnt after 30 seconds go ahead and turn it back on check how many bars it has.

If this does not work perhaps a new sim card is in order.

0 Likes
Benfdafdafdsafad

Thank you - I did perform a reset by removing the device from the charger (with it still on) using a large paperclip. After I did that, the strength actually worsened from -104 dBm to -107 dBm. My devices connect to it, but don't do anything as the signal is too weak. Using the hotspot now...

Should I just take it back to the store to have them inspect it? I presume stores are open on MLK day normal hours?

Thanks

Ben

0 Likes
Not applicable

Interesting.

I know it might sound weird but take the jetpack outside the building and attempt the master reset again. You should have a better signal strength outside the building and then the jetpack needs to connect with the network authorize the connection and then process the update if the signal strength is too weak it will be unable to do that properly.

If it still shows a bad signal then you will need to take it into a store all VZW stores have great coverage and if the device is still not functioning properly and has a poor signal in a great coverage location a CLNR (certified like new replacement) device or a warranty replacement would then be in order.

Stores should be open tomorrow.

0 Likes