How does the Verizon HP Netbook get EVDO/3g, 802.11b/g, and bluetooth?
docsis

I have a few questions:

1. Is there a mini-pci card that verizon is using to get 3g, wifi, and bluetooth?

2. If so, is it something I can buy myself elseware?

3. Should I consider just getting a tether-capable phone with an unlimited data plan to overcome the 5gb limit?

I'm trying to figure out if I should buy my netbook through verizon or if I can go out and buy my own netbook and buy whatever card is needed to make it 3g capable. The netbook Verizon has is not what I would prefer to use, and the fact that I can't buy it with more RAM/etc, Vista, etc.

0 Likes
Re: How does the Verizon HP Netbook get EVDO/3g, 802.11b/g, and bluetooth?
kasm199

Hello docsis,

While I'm not an expert with the netbook yet, I have researched it a bit so I can try to help out.

1. The netbook uses an internal card to gain 3G access. As far as wifi and bluetooth, that is built into the hardware seperate from the card.
  2. In order to gain access to Verizon's 3G network you will have to purchase a card through them. Maybe a Verizon employee can clarify this one though.....
  3. This you should ask yourself. Are you a power user? Will you be downloading movies and music? Even streaming videos constantly will not get you close to this limit. If you go the tethering route you will still have to pay some sort of monthy fee, granted not as much though. Just weight the pros and cons of each and go for it!

The netbook Verizon is offering seems like a great product and I'm looking to buy one soon. As far as running Vista on a netbook, Engadget and other sites have said it is extremely slow, that's why XP comes pre-installed. I'll be installing Windows 7 soon so hopefully that works out.

0 Likes
Re: How does the Verizon HP Netbook get EVDO/3g, 802.11b/g, and bluetooth?
nmchileman
Master - Level 3

The 5GB limit also applies to tethering plans. The only data that's truly unlimited now is usage directly the PDA/Blackberry.

I would say the netbook isn't even worth it, a TWO year contract on something that will be obsolete in 12 months or less, no thank you.

The tethering plans don't require a contract and it's something you can add/remove at any time; much more flexible and cost effective.  

0 Likes