How can I extend the range of my MiFi network?
idyll

I set up my old Linksys WRT54G router to work as a "Repeater Bridge" of the Verizon MiFi 3G 2200 modem/router device, and this works great in my house.

I still need a way to get internet access about 200 feet away from Linksys WRT54G Repeater Bridge, so I purchased a Hawking HWABN1 Access Point / Bridge and a Window Antenna to connect to the Hawking HWABN1.

Can the Hawking HWABN1 connect to the Linksys WRT54G Repeater Bridge so that I can get online by connecting to the Hawking HAWBN1? If yes, does the HWABN1 need to be setup as a Bridge or Access Point?

Did I buy the right equipment for this, or should I have purchased a Range Extender instead? What are my options for this scenario?

Or is there one device I can buy that does all of this? Basically, I need at least 400 feet of wireless internet coverage - and it needs to come from the Verizon MiFi.

0 Likes
Re: How can I extend the range of my MiFi network?
AlexSian
Contributor - Level 1

the verizon mifi can be directly tethered via USB cable to the Cradlepoint MBR1200.

when used with the MBR1200's optional high gain WiFi antennas, i've seen over 400ft of wifi range to/from the router.

wall/home construction and nearby electrical interference may affect your usable wifi range.

using the mbr1200 with high gain antennas, you shouldn't need anything else.

0 Likes
idyll

Thank you for the suggestion.

We purchased that Cradlepoint router and hooked everything up. It seems to be working better than when we used the Linksys as a bridge repeater (more stable - less disconnects w/ Cradlepoint), but the range seems even worse - which is surprising considering the Linksys was a G device compared to this Cradlepoint N. Also, there are still some random disconnects every now and then, where we lose our internet connection.

To resolve the signal issue, we purchased the external WiFi antennas today and will try to see if that helps with the signal any once we get them later this week.

Do you know what could be causing the random loss of internet? I imagine the MiFi is to blame; perhaps we need to find a better location for it in the house?

0 Likes
AlexSian
Contributor - Level 1

try and get setup assistance from whoever you bought the mbr1200 from

if that doesn't get you anywhere, you may want to try cradlepoint directly:

http://www.cradlepoint.com/content/chat-support

0 Likes