Re: Home Fusion dropping EVERYDAY
b55driver

I have been in this configuration for a few months now. That is: turned off the router's wireless and use another wireless that is cable connected to the router. It makes no difference to my stability. And that is because the HBR is not causing outages. It stays up for days/weeks. It is the HBA that causes the problems for me.

The things that do make a difference to my HF's stability are:

1) turning off the Vonage modem. The SIP protocol commands required for voice seem to bring down the unit every two hours.

2) Not using HF to connect my VZwireless iPhones and iPads. They seem to cause the system to hang more often. I do need to connect them from time to time, either to print things on my wireless printer, or to download an update that will not download unless I am attached wirelessly. That last one is an interesting limitation because both ways of connecting will end up at the same cell tower. My guess is that it is not the i-things that are an issue. But just the total number of sessions active at one time.

With those limitations, I get a day or two of stability with the latest firmware releases before the antenna side hangs. And I have two-three times a day 3-5 minute outages while the antenna attaches to a 1-bar cell. It believes it is connected. But no data is transferred. Eventually it goes back to the 3-bar cell and things start to move again.

Full disclosure: my antenna is temporally moved to a different location while my home is renovated. Normally I would have a stronger signal. On the other hand, all my i-things are happy with the signal they see inside the house. I would think that a dedicated antenna would do better than they would. And when I was in the four to five bar area I still dropped twice a day on the older HBA firmware.

Summary: new firmware -- slightly better under some situations, significantly worse for VOIP using the SIP protocol. And on its best day not as good as my iPhone or iPad.

0 Likes
vbush

I've been up 3 days and 7 hours this time. I totally agree the problem is with the HA and has nothing to do with the HR. I use VoIP thru Ooma and can't say I've noticed any specific errors related to SIP in the error log. When it does drop I can't compare to iPhone or iPad as they connect to either AT&T or WiFi from Home Fusion. I don't get a 2G or 3G VZW (they are in 1900 band in my area) signal at my house. LTE (700 band) is a rock solid 3 bars as far as I can tell. The new firmware has definitely helped me as I never made it thru the day without a disconnect before.  Hopefully they will gets the drops worked out as I love the product other than the untimely drops.

0 Likes
MADempsey
Enthusiast - Level 2

I am a recent customer as well as all of you.  Noticing the same thing with my VPN dropping.  Failures about once an hour.  I already have the 20.9.49.300.49 firmware version in the HBA.  I have excellent signal strength.  5 bars 24x7. 

I received a follow-up call from Verizon this morning.  Mentioned that I am in a marginal area (contrary to my 5-bars comment) and that a code update is coming that may address this problem.  I sure hope they don't mean the version that is already installed!

TheThomas
Enthusiast - Level 2

My router never accepted the new firmware udpate and was stuck on 8.8.H.G.  They sent a new Router in the mail, stating that it would be updated prior to me getting it but it was not.  I was sent the "K" version and not the "L" version.  Seems the Cantenna is not stable enough to get the update from the Router so they are sending a truck out to replace what will be my 3rd Cantenna.  I have little faith this will fix the problem but continue to go through the motions since having this initially installed the first week of January 2013.  The Jetpack they loaned me has been rock solid and a past tech support rep tunneled into my Catennna and said I have enough coverage so it is not a coverage issue (even though the Network team that handles the tower quickly dismisses this as a coverage area, which the facts don't support). 

I am hoping that during the Cantenna activation process, all systems will be updated (like a *228 on a mobile phone) and will shock me back into shape. 

I have ~15 hours of tech support call time with this issue. 

0 Likes
novaflyer

I just brought mine back today (14th day). It just wouldn’t stay up. There’s a tech scheduled who didn’t arrive in time, but I presume that they would have replaced the cantenna. I just didn’t want to be stuck with a termination fee if it didn’t work. As an alternative, you could always get a 4G USB stick and plug it into a CradlePoint MBR1400 (or other CradlePoint flavor) router to achieve the same thing and hook up Vonage for phone service. Verizon’s bulk data plans are more reasonable than AT&T’s.

Paul <Email signature removed for privacy per the Verizon Wireless Terms of Service.>

Message was edited by: Verizon Moderator

0 Likes
mymy0513
Enthusiast - Level 2

The Cantenna has a problem maintaining the  connecting with the tower..... Where is you cantenna located?

MyMy

0 Likes
MADempsey
Enthusiast - Level 2

It is on the roof (single story) on the east side of the building. But why every 50 minutes?

Sent from my iPad

0 Likes
mymy0513
Enthusiast - Level 2

If your Cantenna is on the roof, I am assuming it has a clear line of sight to the cell tower. The problem may be with the router heating up and shutting down. Put you hand on the router by the red sticker on the front of the router. The one that says "Phone Service Not Supported At This Time", if that area is considerably warmer the the rest of the router, that may be the problem.

0 Likes
papac0rn

Hi everyone,

Just got home fusion a week ago.  I don't see the disconnects but almost every time I do a windows update or update my Macs, Iphones and Ipads the updates fail or you have to do them multiple times.  Are you all still experiencing corrupted downloads or download issues?  The speeds are great but something else appears to be happening. . . .  I've got a few more days to disconnect without a fee.  Just curious.  I have 5 bars and the signal appears good.

0 Likes
mymy0513
Enthusiast - Level 2

If your Amber light is blinking it means the signal from your cantenna to the tower is low.

You can reset the connection by unplugging the power supply for the Cantenna for about 2 minutes and turning off the router.

After you plug in the cantenna power supply and turn on the router. After about 3 to 5 minutes the 4G light should be green.

If not go to your Cantenna, there are two lights on the cantenna, they should both be green.

If  the one with the coax cable connection is red (it is labeled Coax  Network) you have a problem with the router, wiring, power supplies.

If  the one next to the white SWIM connection, labeled LQI is red, there is  a problem with the connection from your cantenna to the cell tower.  (You will need to contact Verizon Wireless and have the Cantenna  relocated to achieve a green light.)

If the light goes from green to blue to red, it is the same issue. The cantenna needs to be relocated to achieve signal lock.

Please let me know if these suggestions helped you with your service issues.

Any other details with your service issues would be helpful.

Thanks,

Myron

0 Likes