Re: Excessive Data Overages on Verizon Jetpack
rich1949

i have a 3g mifi card and the last two months my data usage has gone thru the roof. i do not use my laptop anymore than previously anyone have an idea why this is happening?

0 Likes
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

rich1949,

We certainly want you to be able to enjoy your mifi, as you did before. Have you noticed if your computer has done recent updates to the system? Do you have any additional users on your mifi? What was your previous average usage compared to the current average usage?

SandyS_VZW
Follow us on Twitter @VZWSupport

0 Likes
Sickofcharges
Enthusiast - Level 2

Your company isn't doing anything to resolve this issue.  Some of the computer technicians I've talked to said that this could be an "inside job"....has to be someone that knows the passcode of the device, etc. that is hacking in and using up the gb's.  I'm so disappointed with the way Verizon has handled this issue.  Trying to say that I've used over 60 gb's in a months time is just plain crazy!! 

You've even sent me a replacement device, I changed the password, etc. right away. Only took a day for the gb's to start rising.  Keep in mind we check emails, check facebook, and shop online once in a while.  We do NOT watch movies, do online gaming, stream music!! 

So, who is using all this data?  There has to be someone out there that knows what's going on...........or maybe the problem is that you really DON'T KNOW and your way of handling this is to make the customer pay for something they aren't using!!

You need to tell me where to send this hotspot/jetpack device back to you.  I refuse to pay you over $500 for gb's I didn't use!  I'll take you to court before I pay that amount.  As you can from this online forum, I'm not alone!!

0 Likes
Sickofcharges
Enthusiast - Level 2

Well I ended our service with Verizon tonight!  Last bill was over $400 and I'm sure I have another one to deal with since I'm cancelling service. The bill from December has over 60 gb and I believe the one for January will have over 40 gb's!!  All they can say is the data is being used from my device and there is nothing they can do about the overages.  I told them to look up my past usage and then they can see I've never used this kind of data with them....ever!  But, it doesn't matter to them. I've talked to Executive Relations, but only because I filed a claim w/ the FCC.  Verizon has their butt covered.  Tonight I was told that's as "high-up" as I can go to try to get things resolved.  Needless to say, but I told them I'm not paying anything to them other than what my bill has "normally" been. I don't have this kind money to give to them for something I didn't use! 

Oh, I asked where do I send their jetpack/hotspot back to......I was told they don't want it back!!!! 

Good luck to the rest of you with all your overages.  I believe Verizon will get what's coming to them. This seems to be a widespread problem.

We went with Dish Internet....so far I'm Happy! And my 10 gb's of data with them hasn't even budged since 01/20/15!!!!

0 Likes
TPRCI

I came onboard 60days ago..... I just burned thru 65 gbs of data in 15 days....they gave me the same run around, I am going back to sprint.

I THINK THAT THEY ARE MEASURING THE DATA THAT FLOWS THRU THE DEVICE.......IF YOU HAVE A NETWORKED PRINTER AND OTHER DEVICES ON THE WIFI HOTSPOT IT TALLYS ALL OF IT... EVEN IF IT IS NOT ROUTED THRU THE TOWER AND THEIR NETWORK....

THEY ARE ABUSING ALL OF US!

0 Likes
cherdeb224
Enthusiast - Level 2

I'm having the same issue.  They are billing me for double the data usage that I normally average.  per their new Utilization tracker, it shows that is is being used by my husband's phone and used on social media.  He doesn't even have ANY social media accounts - none at all.   No apps downloaded...he really uses his phone only for phone calls and occassionally will text me.   Verizon Support is offensive and useless.   They are saying all the nice words that they are taught, but basically, they tell me this is impossible and that my husband is using his phone.  For Verizon Customer Service, all roads lead to the customer at fault.  I've even turned off his data and the hemmorage continued.   I am filing a FCC claim and contacting my attorney general. 

John_Getzke
Champion - Level 1

>  per their new Utilization tracker

Can you describe what you are referring to here.  If there is a new tool that is available I would be very interested to check it out and see what Verizon is providing us.  Some screenshots or an attachment of the report they generated for you would be fantastic.

0 Likes
cherdeb224
Enthusiast - Level 2

My issue is with our iphones - not a jetpack, so I'm not sure if the new tools is available for you.   It is under data usage on your account homepage. 

0 Likes
John_Getzke
Champion - Level 1

I think what you may be referring to is this:

http://www.verizonwireless.com/support/tools-for-monitoring-usage/#datau

Seems like a new utility to me.  I'll check it out and see if it can be helpful to others in your situation.

0 Likes
cherdeb224
Enthusiast - Level 2

I cannot screen shot but it is under y Account/Data Usage/Data Utilization

0 Likes