Re: Excess data usage with Mi-Fi
VerizonFraudInvestiga
Enthusiast - Level 3

Networx is what I just got this week--- I saw with my own eyes the crazy Verizon data trackings

and tried to connect with you....

I have tried several times to reply to you with a THANK YOU for sharing this kind of info

I'm having a hard time staying connected and posting

Check in here again if you get a chance -- and any feedback would be appreciated-

even if you don't 'see' a reply

https://community.verizonwireless.com/message/827045

Re: Bandwidth Usage excessive????? HELP https://community.verizonwireless.com/message/827043#827043

and maybe here too

Re: mifi data theft, fraud by verizon class action lawsuit 2012 https://community.verizonwireless.com/message/805945#805945

Networx

0 Likes
D_Art

If you use Firefox. there is a handy add-on called "Verizon Monitor" that will check and update your usage.  I've noticed in the last few weeks that the updates have been much more infrequent than in the previous months. This suggests that Verizon has changed it's data usage update system. Whether the change is system wide or is limited to my area I can't say.

0 Likes
steve_sheldon
Enthusiast - Level 3

How does this customers browsing habits constitute heavy usage?

0 Likes
Mikeyishere
Enthusiast - Level 2

I WENT THROUGH THIS NIGHTMARE WHEN I REPLACED A DEFECTIVE MODEM. A LETTER TO THE CHAMBER OF COMMERCE HELPED.

0 Likes
John_Getzke
Champion - Level 1

Steve,

Browsing habbits are very important when it comes to Data Usage. Users with poor habits almost certainly will consume more data and get nailed with a high bill.  Users with good habbits are less likely to be hit with overages.

However, usage and habbits should not be confused to as the same thing.  Even with good habbits a user can go into what VZW considers heavy usage.  According to VZW's throttling and optimization policy anyone over 2GB of data per billing cycle is a "heavy user".  Many other 3rd party reports can confirm these statistics. 

This is an unfair label to place on mobile broadband users because they get lumped togeather into the same category as all of the smart phone users.  It is much more difficult to consume data on a smart phone due to the natural limitations of those devices.  Until the industry decides to split smart phones from mobile hotspots they will be considered the same thing.

Example of Good Habbits:

1. Avoid Video, use low def options if necessary

2. Avoid Streaming music, use low def options if necessary

3. Avoid High-res pictures, use low def options if necessary

4. Close down your applications when you are done using them

5. Disconnect from the device when you are not using it

6. Check in on your usage frequently until you understand what impact your habbits have on the plan

7. Turn off automatic updates for any programs or services

8. Secure your device by changing the default connection credentials to custom values

In the end, VZW does not care about your habbits.  VZW only cares about the data that is consumed on your data plan.  Our habbits will influence the amount of data we consume but does not account for the entire picture.

0 Likes
code4food
Enthusiast - Level 1

cbj2248,

Yesterday, July 25th, I received text messages that my Jetpack had used up 50% of the 10GB in our plan. That was at day 13 of the 31 day billing cycle. Then, about an hour later, I received another text message that we had used up 75% of our 10 GB. Then one and half hours later, I received another text message telling me we had used up 90% of our 10GB allotment for the current billing cycle. What the...?

I logged into the Jetpack, and looked through the logs. All of the IP addresses I found were mine. I have a small network of four wireless devices connecting to the Jetpack, and there were no other devices in the log. Still, the incredible bandwidth disappearing act went on.

One of my devices is a WiFi Ranger. It allows my two IP phones to connect to the web since it has WWAN capabilities and four Ethernet ports. I thought that perhaps someone was hacking into the WiFi Ranger to watch HD videos (my office is in a building that also has condos in it). I use the Jetpack to allow my small office of two laptops, a wireless printer, and two Cisco VoIP phones to communicate with the outside world. We normally use 9 GB per month, but to see half of our 10GB go up in smoke in less than a few hours really pissed me off.

I figured that someone was somehow connecting to the WiFI ranger. It turns out that the Ranger has a public access feature as well as a private wifi feature. It also has a commonly known Public Access Passphrase, which I did not realize at the time. So I changed it. Then later, I disabled the SSID broadcast on the WiFi Ranger to keep it from being discovered. We did not need the WiFi it provides since I only really wanted the use the Ethernet ports for the phones.

At the same time, I decided to set MAC address filtering up on the Jetpack. I retrieved all of the MAC addresses of all of the devices that would be connecting at some point, and added them to the filter list. The Jetpack rebooted to make the list active, and then Voila! the bandwidth stealing stopped immediately.

So, the moral of the story is use MAC address filtering. Its possible that someone may have hijacked your bandwidth by hacking into your Jetpack (seems pretty easy based on Google searches I conducted). It is not completely foolproof, but usually good enough to stop the (edited to comply with VZW Community ToS) out there that are constantly trying to to get wifi for free. (Edited to comply with VZW Community Tos) , every one of them.

Good luck.

Message was edited by: Verizon Moderator (C)

John_Getzke
Champion - Level 1

Thanks for sharing your story Code!

I'm happy you were able to isolate the problem before it got out of control.  We see so many horror stories about folks who have $200.00 + in overages out of the blue and can't seem to understand how it is possible. 

Changing the MAC and hiding the SSID will prevent most novice and moderate moochers from connecting to your devices. It is a very appropriate solution to your situation.

0 Likes
code4food
Enthusiast - Level 1

My apologies to the Moderator. They had to comment out some pretty bland adjectives I used to describe hackers in general in my last post. In any case, I have a question to ask Verizon: Why did you release a device, like the 4620L Jetpack, that is so easy hacked? The people that hacked mine cost me half of my 10GB data limit in one day. We use 9 GB during an entire billing cycle, and yet, in one day, 5 GB is used up by someone hacking into my Jetpack! Yes, it was secured, but I made the mistake, as it turns out, of not changing the default, but randomly generated, PSK. During my research, it turns out that the very hack that allows hackers to get in is helped by the SSID of the Jetpack itself.

ADVICE: Please change the SSID of the device immediately upon powering it up. Do not allow it to be the default settng, because the hack takes advantge of the four character hex code in the SSID label of the device. Also, the word "Secure" is in the SSID, which is another dead give away that it is a Novatel device that can be hacked.

Since Verison does not TELL you to do these things, it is somewhat suspicious. It seems they LIKE IT when the very equipment that we buy from them can be so easy manipulated by others. It means they make more money becasue at $10 per GB for overages, they reap the benefit. Please change the SSID label of your Jetpack, and use MAC filtering as soon as you put the device online. You will protect yourself from most hacks.

Verizon, please tell me how I can get a refund for the 5GB I lost in one day, and the extra $60 I will have to pay you in overages before I could stop the moronic hackers from stealing more!?

0 Likes
doug_h
Enthusiast - Level 1

I was using Galaxy Tab for internet for a few months with a little overage.  My bills were just over $100.  I got the jetpack and my usage was already 3/4 a day into it.  I don't stream movies or music.  I use it for the same things I was using the Tab, homework which is a small data transfer from my computer to the college website, or I use it for F/B or Yahoo.  How does using the jetpack change that from using the Tab?  If next month is this bad, gonna bite the bullet and turn it back in and pay off whatever they want me to pay.  Verizon sux and everyone should stay clear of them by a wide berth....

Travelers2

I have the same problem.  I had the old little USB device and one day was in a Version store and they told me that I could 'upgrade' to this MiFi where 5 things can be on at a time.  They checked my usage and said, oh you are not using much. Well for almost a year there was no probem and then all of a sudden it has just gotten out of control.  Now when we first got this device we were both on line more, I played games and on and on but then starting about last March it started going over the limited amount.  I went into Verzion and asked why?  Was told I we just use more than we think. HA  This month we have gone over FOUR times and have not used it much at all. I feel like we are being raped by Verizon and they do not listen to what you tell them, they just check their little data non-sense and tell you that you are the problem.  No Verizon you are the problem and you are getting too big for your britches and I am changing companies when my contracts are all up.  Never thought I would do this as we have been with Verizon for years and have been very happy up until now......but this is huge and since we live in an RV this has been so nice to have our own wifi. But not at the amounts they are charging for data that I know we are not using.  There is simply no way.

I am so sadden by this........I have always expected Verizon to be an honest and caring company and now I just see them as dishonest and greedy.

0 Likes