Re: Excess data usage with Mi-Fi
budone
Legend

Ya know what, it would take ONE kid on an xbox about 2 hrs to run through the data. And I am being generous.

Have fun with your 15 minutes of fame on TV......if it ever makes it there.

0 Likes
John_Getzke
Champion - Level 1

Something to keep in mind is that even though there are ways to break down and monitor your traffic on your own machine, the data leak may have come from a different one.  For example, if anyone else has connected to your MiFi and racked up a few HD movies from Neflix without your consent.  If you have not changed the default wireless password a child or family member could have easily seen the password on the back and granted themselves access.

Your logs may proove that your main machine was clean and innocent, but without a log of connected devices to the MiFi over the billing cycle you may not be getting the whole picture.  The MiFi itself does not log the connected users or how the network traffic breaks down among them.  All the MiFi and VZW log is the total amount of traffic and the timestamp of the corresponding session.

Best of luck to you in your quest, but I'd investigate a little further before you start taking VZW to small claims court.

0 Likes
northernlights
Enthusiast - Level 2

I don't think "fame" has anything to do with it. It has to do with the lack of integrity of a company that wants to deny there is a malfunctioning device and refuse to anty up to the responsibility. Having the proof has apparently made a difference. I  produced the logs,and will continue to monitor as there is not one single keystroke or program that is not retrievable...and let those items speak for themselves. As for all the suggestions, not applicable. There is no one in my home but ME on a laptop that I use for one to two hours per night, where the closest home is about 1/4 mile away; I shut off both MiFi and laptop when not in use (I take the battery out), had the government computer guy who specializes in hacking totally go over each and every event on all drives and no one has so much as gotten into the registry or any  computer program; lastly,  there are no excessive programs running in the background. There is quite simply the occasional defective MiFi device. These devices are indeed offered for those of us with no option in rural areas (this was Verizon's suggestion when I moved from the city to where I am now a year ago), no cable available here, and Hughes net (or whatever) has been tried by neighbors and they have found the satellite connections to be very poor in our heavily wooded areas. So, the data collected thus far for the past 3 months shows no amount of usage even close to what Verizon is charging was used in the data.

As for the kid on the x-box...don't know a thing about gaming, only know what the rep in the Verizon store told me about racking up 16 Gig in less than 3 hours!! But then his manager was not working with all the lights on in the attic,either, as he agreed!!  so perhaps that Short Pump,Va. store just needs someone like the guy on this forum who has uber knowledge to teach them a little something (scary how little knowledge they really have according to your feedback, or , getting back to that integrity and lying issue )..I'll give you that as you seem quite knowledgeable, probably personal usage or kids of your own. Thanks for that, I will remember that when/ if I encounter that same rep again. However, for the time being, my own situation has come under control with a new device.

To that end, I have had a good conversation with a Verizon rep via the phone, and a new device has been provided...and guess what?? usage is now back to normal with ONLY changing the device per the suggestion of the government geek. But we will continue to log in the total usage (which includes any and all background programs running...again, none of those had changed over the past year). My total computer usage is usually offline, so we will see what happens!

and, while nothing ever comes of class action lawsuits,I will gladly leave the legalities to the group who has apparently already started the class action preliminaries in the midwest against Verizon...thank you to the person who sent me the link as an FYI. It appears this forum is not the only place people are complaining about defective devices. I think the overall message is not to just lie down and say it is ok to be charged $300-$400/month for a few hours per night of checking email or reading research ...maybe Budone can afford that, that's great. I cannot. I appreciate the suggestions, checked them all out, and the long and short of it...I really did have a defective device!

budone
Legend

The class action lawsuit was settled last November. Old news and not tied to the MiFi's.

Now if you want to share the link, I would be more than happy to read it. And would greatly appreciate it.

0 Likes
VerizonFraudInvestiga
Enthusiast - Level 3

I saw this forum after I had posted

in Broadband & Netbook Community

similar subject & post for some more information and feedback

Bandwidth Usage excessive????? HELP

0 Likes
evdotech
Contributor - Level 1

You can moniter your usage more carefully, get a peplink balance 20 or 30 see screenshot you can monitor by day, month, hour and assign names to see what is download and uploading.

[IMG]http://i49.tinypic.com/1z90ra.png[/IMG]

You can get the gear here:

http://3gstore.com/product/2808_peplink_balance_20.html

0 Likes
D_Art

There are relatively simple bandwidth monitors that might help you keep track of usage.  Networx is a free example http://www.softperfect.com/products/networx/

0 Likes
icerabbitje
Enthusiast - Level 3

Connecting two laptops 24/7 and you used up 75% of? 5GB

Are they windows systems?  As I can see the variety of windows & various maintenance updates for AntiVirus, Firewall etc that run & update whenever they deem fit, eat up a GB a month across two systems.

Even without any audio or video streaming, a fairly connected person, spending their time online at night can go through a GB a week, just getting emails and browsing the internet.  So, 1/GB week x2 people x2 weeks and you're at 4GB out of the 5 allowed, if you are on the same plan as I am. 

First place I'd look at is disabling a variety of automatic software updates, and do those when you are connected to home broadband, or other.  Get FireFox if you don't already have it and look at adblock plus and other tools to minimize some data use from advertising etc. Maybe block Flash so you're very aware that flash video / ... is going to eat some MB.

VerizonFraudInvestiga
Enthusiast - Level 3

I have tried several times to reply to you with a THANK YOU for sharing this

I'm having a hard time staying connected and posting

Check in here if you get a chance -- and any feedback would be appreciated-

even if you don't 'see' a reply

https://community.verizonwireless.com/message/827045

Re: Bandwidth Usage excessive????? HELP https://community.verizonwireless.com/message/827043#827043

and maybe here too

VerizonFraudInvestiga
Enthusiast - Level 3

I have tried several times to reply to you with a THANK YOU for sharing this kind of smart,tech info

I'm having a hard time staying connected and posting

Check in here again if you get a chance -- and any feedback would be appreciated-

even if you don't 'see' a reply

https://community.verizonwireless.com/message/827045

Re: Bandwidth Usage excessive????? HELP https://community.verizonwireless.com/message/827043#827043

and maybe here too

Re: mifi data theft, fraud by verizon class action lawsuit 2012 https://community.verizonwireless.com/message/805945#805945

also in reply to the 2 XP systems- they never run at same time - and I like your kind of thinking re:auto updates etc---- I don't allow- yet I'm thinking that that is also a part of some of the nightmare- with VZ Because IT does update - and I can't make it stop-

I also think that there are multiples running.....

if you do take a thoughtful look at my complex situation,

I would really appreciate any technical feedback

the 75% of 5 GB reply isn't for me---

I'm the one with the unlimited plan- and massive data transfers coming thru

my verizon connection -

> please see recent posts

because you sound knowledgable - and this thing is most definately working with Flash!!! even when disabled

and I uninstalled ALL FLASH and it recreated shockwave- but seems to have disappeared from my last run of Adobe uninstallers

i LOVE firefox and my adblock plus- I don't dare launch it- I have very important open tabs--- and more

I don't know if this is in my firefox

0 Likes