Cradlepoint AER1650 Modem/Router considered a "Hot Spot"
MileyCyrus

On Sep 16, 2017 I received this email from Verizon Wireless:

"Your 4G Internet with mobile number ending in #XXXX has reached its 4G LTE data allowance. Your monthly data allowance will reset on the 20th with your next bill cycle.

What happens next?
Your 4G Internet will be switched from 4G LTE speed to speeds up to 600 Kbps for the rest of your bill cycle. For more information, visit our FAQs."

I called Verizon (800-922-0204) to inquire about this speed reduction.  I told them I have a Cradlepoint AER1650 which does not have the wireless feature, so it can't be a "hotspot".  They said that any device which connects to the Internet is considered a hotspot  That includes all USB modems and modem/routers, JetPacks, etc.  Just your Cell Phone/Tablet/etc. with built-in Cell is not considered a hotspot.

Hotspots are capped at 15GB, then drop to 600kbps (0.6mbps), but still unlimited.   Non-hotspots are capped at 22GB, then reduced priority after that, but still unlimited.

I asked why I was able to get up to 49 mbps since Feb 2017 until now.  They said they didn't have capability to reduce the speed until now.

Has anyone else experienced this slowdown on your USB modem/router?

0 Likes
Re: Cradlepoint AER1650 Modem/Router considered a "Hot Spot"
MileyCyrus

Update:  Got more info from support.

"The term hotspot gets used sometimes just because it is the most common internet device we offer but all internet only devices such as hotspots, USB modems, or other internet connected devices receive 15GBs of high speed internet per month. You do get 4G speeds for those first 15GBs but after that the speeds are lowered to a maximum of 600 Kbps.

Phones and tablets are the only exceptions to this because they aren't providing internet to other devices, possibly many other devices. Their internet is for use on that one device. If you use the hotspot option on those devices, they also only get the 15GBs of high speed data to use on the hotspot."

0 Likes