Can I set up my laptop to I can user either of my two USB modems.
tln1ltj2

Our family has both a UM175 USB modem and the slightly older UM150 USB modem. Both use the same version (4.2.3) of the VZ Access Manager.

My question: Can I configure my laptop so it either one will work.  It sure would be nice because I ran into a situation where I had brought the wrong laptop with my modem.

thx

0 Likes
Re: Can I set up my laptop to I can user either of my two USB modems.
Not applicable

Maybe you could install two copies of VZ Access Manager in different folders (directories).

0 Likes
PhoneNerd

You will not be able to that simotaniously. VZAM will not be able to choose what COM port to use to set up the connection.

0 Likes
Not applicable

He doesn't want to do them simultaneously.  He wants to be able to use one or the other, but not at the same time.

0 Likes
tln1ltj2

Yes, you are right. I will only be using one of the modems at a time. I just want to be able to set up my laptop so regardless of which modem I remember to bring with me I'll be able to connect.

Based on the one suggestion, I could have a VZManager App set up for one modem and then another instance of the app set up for the other. So on my desktop I'd have 2 app icons. VZ-USB150 and VZUSB175.  Would this work then?

0 Likes
Not applicable

I don't know if that will work or not.  Are you sure you can't just plug in either modem and have it work off the same VZAccess software?  Another option would be to purchase a CradlePoint router that would work with either or both modems at the same time.

0 Likes
PhoneNerd

You can use two diffrent devices with the same VZAM dowload but you will first need to establish a connection with each device.

0 Likes
tln1ltj2

How do I establish a connection with both.

Here's what I'm running in to.

Set it up with USB modem 1. All is well.

Then close down and restart with USB modem 2.  Get no option to connect and it isn't recognizing the modem.

Yet, if I put the #1 modem in, it instantly recognizes it.

So how do I get it to recognize both modems (granted, 1 at a a time)?

0 Likes
PhoneNerd

Are you using the same USB port for both connections?

0 Likes
tln1ltj2

My MacBook Air only has one USB connections (though I often use a hub).

When I use my MacBookPro, it does have 2 USB connections.

0 Likes