Re: Bandwidth Usage excessive????? HELP
Jakeman1
Master - Level 1

Sharon, what kind of phone do you have? Is it an Android? iPhone?

0 Likes
travelizme

I just purchased the broadband 5G and found it was burning up too fast so I upped to 10G and same thing is happening. I don't download music or movies, primarily using for emails and mostly of FB....I am beyond the 14 day trial period and I don't know if this is going to work out for me...and I don't want to go back to Comcast....I just received a notice on the JetPak that I am at 90% usage and yet when I check my acct it says 6.9G...and I have 13 more days to go,,,,HELP

0 Likes
Sharon54321
Enthusiast - Level 1

It is an iPhone 4 - smart phone

0 Likes
Not applicable

travelizme wrote:

I just purchased the broadband 5G and found it was burning up too fast so I upped to 10G and same thing is happening. I don't download music or movies, primarily using for emails and mostly of FB....I am beyond the 14 day trial period and I don't know if this is going to work out for me...and I don't want to go back to Comcast....I just received a notice on the JetPak that I am at 90% usage and yet when I check my acct it says 6.9G...and I have 13 more days to go,,,,HELP

A) if you have REAL internet options I suggest staying with them. Mobile internet is not a real replacement for that.

B) Do you have security enabled on the JetPack? If not anyone with a wi-fi enabled device can connect to you device. And if with security on if don't change the name of your SSID from the defalut and change the default password you're not secure.

0 Likes
Jakeman1
Master - Level 1

Sharon I urge you to review the threads here (not this particular one) for the same issues on the iPhone. When IOS6 was released and pushed out they had an issue (may or may not still be going on) where ALL data (Wifi included) was being counted as Data itself. Even those that shut off Mobile Data and used Wifi Only were hit with Data usage.  Verizon has a ticket open on it and one of the threads goes into great detail on the issue and what you need for when you call Verizon to dispute the overage charges.  Hope it helps and I will run back through the posts as well to see if I can locate it and pass you the link to it.

0 Likes
Not applicable

Jakeman1 wrote:

Sharon I urge you to review the threads here (not this particular one) for the same issues on the iPhone. When IOS6 was released and pushed out they had an issue (may or may not still be going on) where ALL data (Wifi included) was being counted as Data itself. Even those that shut off Mobile Data and used Wifi Only were hit with Data usage.  Verizon has a ticket open on it and one of the threads goes into great detail on the issue and what you need for when you call Verizon to dispute the overage charges.  Hope it helps and I will run back through the posts as well to see if I can locate it and pass you the link to it.

Not the same. The iphone issue had to do with IPv6. I suspect most issue with the Jetpack involve lack of security, poor security, leaving it on 24/7 and lack of knowledge of how much data they are actually using. Not to mention most likely their computer set up to do auto updating in the middle of night.

0 Likes
Sharon54321
Enthusiast - Level 1

I shut it off at night.  I shut if off for two weeks that I was in China.  I changed the password the minute I set it up.  I'm telling you this thing is either being hacked into, or we are being scammed by Verizon.  Mifi is a piece of junk.  Now I am stuck with a two year contract, and robbery at the data usage point as well - for two years.  If you have not already bought Mifi - SKIP IT.  You will be sorry.  People (including Verizon) are replying to these posts as if we are all internet morons.  Not so!  There are real issues here.  There is no way I am getting pinged to the tune of 5 gigs a day.  B.S. 

VERIZON - Stop stealing from your customers!  Figure out what the problem is and return our money.  Take back your equipment and allow us to cancel this bogus contract.  It's the business smart thing to do.  I know, you know, and everyone else with Mifi knows there are serious problems with this equipment.  Stop assuming we are all doing something wrong.  Not so.  YOU are over charging. 

0 Likes
Not applicable

Sharon54321 wrote:

VERIZON - Stop stealing from your customers!  Figure out what the problem is and return our money.  Take back your equipment and allow us to cancel this bogus contract.  It's the business smart thing to do.  I know, you know, and everyone else with Mifi knows there are serious problems with this equipment.  Stop assuming we are all doing something wrong.  Not so.  YOU are over charging. 

A) it's an APPLE issue. Verizon is not the only carrier with this issue on the Iphone.

B) Verizon has already stated that you will NOT be required to pay on overage due to this error.

0 Likes
truckerbob

I am a truck driver, had been with altel with unlimited usage, up graded to the mifi 4g (5 gig plan) have never went over 3 gigs, all of a sudden this month( 11/ 2012) they notified me that i was at my limit. Come on now i have only been  out here now for a week and a half. Have not done one thing different then i usually do. I think if something does not change fast i will  quit verizon all together, me and my wife have been loyal customers for some time now, but i am not going to put up with this BS.

0 Likes
warbucks

Verizon is in business to make money and they are making a bundle. They don't have much competition for cellular (Wi-Fi) broadband internet business so they can charge whatever they want to. $100.00 for 10 GB of data is price gouging in my opinion. Viewing a hi-def movie could use 10 GB of data. Unless Verizon and ATT get more competition they will charge the max that the market will bare. Another thing Verizon does is nickel and dime their customers. Verizon markets a service for $20.00 and then charges $20.10 and call it a Verizon surcharge.  This can add $5.00 to $10.00 to each bill. Multiply this "surcharge" across all their customers and it amounts to major revenues for good old Verizon. So, find another provider of pay the bill.  You might also consider buying some Verizon stock.

0 Likes