Automated Usage Report?
Duiji

The company I work for has a small office far away from any wired broadband internet solutions so I have chosen to use a MiFi device in that office. I am new to to using Verizon Wireless but thought it would be an awesome feature if you could setup an automated email within your Verizon Wireless profile that would allow a data usage report to be emailed to the user. As the IT person I care whether the end user goes over and want to keep them under the 5GB limit. I thought it would be a great feature instead of logging into the account to check it. What does everyone else think?

0 Likes
Re: Automated Usage Report?
dave1812
Contributor - Level 1

There is a lag between the usage data showing on the Verizon site, so if you try to rely on that to determine if someone is about to go over the limit, they may be in for a rude surprise.  There can be several days of data "out there" that comes trickling in.  If that occurs at the end of the monthly cycle....

BOTTOM LINE: if users can keep below 170Mb per day (based on 30 days usage) they won't go over 5GB/month.  When I first got my MiFi I was PARANOID.  After a few weeks of usage, I could see I can use my MiFi as much as I like (for MY purposes) and not even hit 2GB, so now I don't even bother to check usage during the month.  Everyone's needs are different and for some, 5GB could be used up in less than 2 days.  I suggest educating your users about the usage that will suck up lots of data, such as videos, or large windows updates or other program downloads/updates.  

Message Edited by dave1812 on 08-03-2009 02:42 PM
0 Likes
Greg4Wireless
Enthusiast - Level 3

I've been complaining about the DELAYED usage statics Since July 15.  Nothing's been done about it..

Frankly, I doubt Verizon cares.

I used over 6GB last month because of usage stats being delayed 4 days.

I guess I'll be in a battle with the billing dept next.

READ THE OTHER THREADS....

VZAccess Manager inaccurate usage stats

VZAccess Manager Error 241 When requesting Usage

0 Likes
dave1812
Contributor - Level 1
FYI, I was told by Verizon's billing dept to call them if I go over the first few months.  THey expect people to have a bit of trouble at first staying under the limit and will forgive the overages!  CALL them and see if what they told me is the truth or not.  :smileyhappy:
0 Likes
Greg4Wireless
Enthusiast - Level 3

I would think that is the least they could do......Especially since the usage monitor is always 3 days behind or doesn't work at all . . . .

I still continue to get "VERIZON CALL NOT RESPONDING, ERROR CODE 241" when I try to check my usage.

0 Likes