Another broadband issue/question
robabdob

Situation:  My wife and I have the Mobile Broadband tethering service.  5G each.  We like it, it's fast portable easy to use.  Our friends have the MiFi.  5G shared, also nice to have serivce.  We have all been tracking our usage and since the start of the usage period I have used 1196 mb, my wife has used about 700 mb.  Our friends have already went over their 5G.

My wife checks email and spends several hours on a forum type website.

I check email, download the occasional MPEG, photo and songs for XBOX rockband.  (about 30mb each), and just surf the net about 2-3 hours a day. 

Our friends watched a netflix movie (one) and did some major gaming on XBOX.  Not sure what else they did.

Questions:

1.  What in the world are people doing to use 5GB?

2.  How accurate/real time are our usage counters on the VZAccess manager?  (we track it daily, especially now, when we just started the service)

3.  Am I correct in that 5GB = 5120MB? 

4.  And if so, if I've used 1000MB I still have 4120MB to go? 

I know these may be stupid questions.  (don't say there is no such thing, because we all know there are stupid questions)

I just can't fathom so many people using up the 5GB and why the hell aren't we?  I mean I do school work, watch youtube, and so many other regular uses, but so far have not used near as much as some folks.

What's the dealio?

Thanks!!!!

0 Likes
Re: Another broadband issue/question
AlexSian
Contributor - Level 1

robabdob wrote:

Questions:

1.  What in the world are people doing to use 5GB?

2.  How accurate/real time are our usage counters on the VZAccess manager?

3.  Am I correct in that 5GB = 5120MB? 

4.  And if so, if I've used 1000MB I still have 4120MB to go?

Answers:

1. "HD" video streaming/downloads consumes the MOST bandwidth. more info at http://bit.ly/5-GB

2. many consider it to be highly innaccurate, but it IS what verizon says your usage is at that time.

3. yes. even verizon agrees with that: http://b2b.vzw.com/broadband/bba_terms.html

4. yes.

0 Likes
Airedale

robabob,

I had the same concerns as you when I first signed on for one of these gadgets. I run an active message board and have to do some minor photo uploading, editing and posting. I am online quite a bit taking care of this stuff so during my trial period I did a few more things online than I normally do just to make sure that the 5gs are sufficiant for what I do. I even downloaded a half dozen short videos. In the end I used around 3 of the 5 gs so I feel I am good for the way I use the MiFi.

I have gone through and read a bunch of the posts here on similar questions and the concensus is that if you stay away from videos you will be fine. If you are a "you tube" junkie,  you are in trouble.

EVOOalex answered all your questions about all your numbers.

0 Likes
mc_hudd

I'm with you on this one Rob.  I don't understand how ppl use so much... Maybe I'm just boring with my internet surfing... LOL.

I have had VW Mobile Broadband for about 15 months now & have yet to even get near my 5 GB limit.  This month I got to about 1/2 (2500 MB), but that's the highest I think I've ever went.  I do always like to wait until a few days before the new billing period starts to get any large downloads, that way I know if I have enough MB's remaining.  :smileyhappy:

I am a pretty casual user, but I do download music from iTunes & watch the occasional video from YouTube.  But, I've heard that gaming & video/TV downloads are not recommended for this type of internet w/ a limit.

0 Likes
Not applicable

I used 5468 MB last month, most of it on Charter cable.  I don't download movies or music and rarely watch any videos, etc.  It's not hard to use 5 GB is you spend several hours a day on the internet.

0 Likes