Verizon Wireless V0LTE support for Purism Librem 5?
Shelkyn
Enthusiast - Level 2

I am purchasing the Purism Librem 5 phone and would like to add it to my existing Verizon plan.

The phone is a small run, non-android and non-IoS, Linux phone. It supports (with the proper modem selection) Verizon LTE bands B2, B4 and B13 as well as VoLTE.

Verizon's VoLTE documentation seems to indicate that it will only support VoLTE on "approved" phones.

My question is, how do I determine with certainty if the Purism Librem 5 is an authorized phone or not?

Thanks,

Harry

Re: Verizon Wireless V0LTE support for Purism Librem 5?
BridgeportContractor
Enthusiast - Level 1

Hello Verizon technical team,

I have roughly the same technical question about getting a plan for my phone.

Librem 5 info is here.    Also here is the Librem 5 shipping announcement.

I would prefer Verizon!, but failing that will use whatever service I can find for this phone so of course I'm asking a similar question to AT&T and T-Mobile as a backup. 

I need to make a decision on the modem in my phone soon (like in a month or so), so need an answer on this promptly.

Thank you!

gravitational_kitty
Enthusiast - Level 1

No official replies to this, I'm assuming the answer is that it will not be supported. Deathly curious to see if it'd work & auth on the network despite not being official.

Anyone with a Purism Librem 5 should definitely try it out!

0 Likes
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

@Shelkyn, @BridgeportContractor, and @gravitational_kitty

I understand your desire to be able to use this non-Verizon Wireless device on our 4G LTE network. Allow me to assist.

There are a number of non-Verizon Wireless devices that can be activated on our network. However, to ensure you know whether this device will work or not, please use the following link to confirm: http://spr.ly/66051ycjt by entering the Device ID (IMEI or MEID) to see if the device is compatible with our network. I hope this information is beneficial.

AnthonyTa_VZW

BridgeportContractor
Enthusiast - Level 1

Thank you for your reply AnthonyTa_VZW. 

The new 'Librem 5' smartphone that we are all asking about is not yet on the list (at the link you provided). 

How then, does one go about getting on your list?  In other words, who do we talk to, to start the technical discussion to begin to get this new phone working with Verizon services?

Thanks!

re: https://puri.sm/products/librem-5/

vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

Our goal is to help you move forward. We recommend you lift up this discussion with Purism https://puri.sm/contact/. We hope this is beneficial.

CoreyM_VZW

If my response answered your question please click the _Correct Answer_ button under my response. This ensures others can benefit from our conversation. Thanks in advance for your help with this!!

0 Likes
provfam
Enthusiast - Level 1

You see.. I think we were hoping YOU would lift up this discussion with Purism, actually. As it is your network that we (and Purism) want our (pre-ordered) phones to work on.

If Verzion works with Purism, we have a much better chance of choosing to remain Verizon customers when our phones arrive.

I'm much more interested in the Purism phone than I am remaining on Verizon's network, so how can you help us? Contact Purism, and shepherd their phones onto your network, please.

Pretty sure we've all contacted Purism about this ourselves. Can't it be your turn now?

thanks in advance.

vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

We would love for you to remain as part of the Verizon family and hope that the network is what keeps you with us, provfam. Feedback has been lifted up regarding the device. You can stay up to date with new device releases here, http://spr.ly/6609GRTW9.

DanielleR_VZW

0 Likes
Tom5000
Enthusiast - Level 1

I will be leaving Verizon if I cannot get support for the Linux phones.

marklpayton

I, too, have ordered a Librem 5 phone from Purism. I am a long time Verizon customer, but will make the switch to another carrier (I have confirmed that is one with good coverage in my area who will activate this phone) if Verizon doesn't support it when it arrives later this year.

0 Likes