Trouble activating a Apple Watch 3 purchased from private user
SS1018

I purchased an Apple Watch 3 from another VZ user who had it activated on their VZ account.

i went to VZ to activate. They issued a phone number, and SIM, but when we got to the setup cellular screen, we kept getting a cellular cannot be setup error. We were directed by VZ tech support to change settings in my phone to cell & data. Didn’t work. We factory reset several times. Didn’t work. We update the watch software to the latest version. It didn’t work. The VZ tech changed the SIM number. Didn’t work. I was told to go outside of the store to where my phone had full bars. Didn’t work.

The antenna inside the watch is fine. That was another concern.

Without taking it to Apple and having them ship it out for analysis, has anyone experienced this challenges when trying to reactivate a watch on a different VZ account?

0 Likes
Re: Trouble activating a Apple Watch 3 purchased from private user
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

@SS1018 

I'm sorry to hear you're having trouble with the watch you purchased from another user. Do you recall if they had removed the watch from their account, including the NumberShare connection, prior to selling to to you? As smartwatches include a pre-installed eSIM, which means it is downloaded to the device as part of the activation process. This is not something that can be changed, so if it was tied to the previous user, it would refuse to activate elsewhere. Since this watch was purchased through a private transaction between you and this other person, we would be very limited on any sort of replacement options on the watch, so I would recommend either going back to the store you visited with this seller if possible, or return the watch to them and get your money back since it won't work for your account at this time.

RussellM_VZW

0 Likes
SS1018
Thank you for your reply, russellM_vzw

I was told by the Verizon tech that he would change the SIM number within the watch. He explained Apple Watch has a electronic SIM, and not a physical SIM. Is this different from what you are referring to?
0 Likes
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

Good morning! The process to remove Number Share from the previous account is different. Please refer to the steps in the link below. Keep us posted.

http://spr.ly/6607EZh2V

MariaV_VZW

0 Likes