Problem with using the same sim in more than one device
Watson_Thedog

Recently I purchased an iPad 10.2 from Verizon on a 2 year contract and put it on the Unlimited plan.  Because I already had one of my phones on the Do More Unlimited plan I receive a 50% discount on the iPad Unlimited plan.  Great deal!

I also have an iPad Air 2 with Verizon cellular capabability, but no service plan.  I have periodically used the iPad 10.2 sim in this iPad Air 2 and everything works fine.  When I do this, the Verizon web site shows the iPad Air 2 as the device on the account.  Again Great Deal!

Now the problem.  I have an old Tracfone hotspot (ZTE - Z288L) that works on the Verizon 4G LTE network.  I was thinking of adding this on a new line as a BYOD device with Verizon, but thought I should test it out first so I just used the iPad 10.2 sim.  The hotspot worked great!  I left the sim in the hotspot overnight and it remained active and usable without any glitches.  However, the next day I received a notification of a change in service and I was no longer getting the 50% discount on the iPad unlimited plan even though both a tablet and a hotspot (or mifi or jetpack) are eligible for the 50% discount.

So I put the sim back in the iPad 10.2 and the next day another notification resulted that showed I was now getting the 50% discount again.

Anyone know what is going on here?  In the FAQ, Verizon states you are free to swap sims on 4G LTE devices and I have done this many times before.  This is the first time I have lost a discount because of the swap.

0 Likes
Re: Problem with using the same sim in more than one device
Ann154
Community Leader
Community Leader

The tablet and the hotspot device are likely coded differently in the Verizon Wireless system. By leaving the hotspot active overnight, you probably triggered the change in the system. 

I'm most definitely NOT a VZW employee. If a post answered your question, please mark it as the answer.

0 Likes
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

We always want you to have clear expectations regarding your services and offer. The offer to receive 50% off a tablet line requires a tablet or jetpack to remain active. If you activate a smartphone or basic phone in its place, the plan is forced to change from an internet device unlimited plan (data only) to an unlimited plan for a phone (voice, text and data). The offer is for a specific plan type for a qualifying device. Does this help clarify things? BrittanyC_VZW

0 Likes
Watson_Thedog

Ok, that makes sense except the device I put the sim into is a hotspot and not a basic phone or a smartphone.  My understanding was that a hotspot was eligible for the same 50% discount as the tablet.  Perhaps the Verizon system did not recognize the Tracphone hotspot as a hotspot?  Below is a photo of the device.  Or is it that the 50% discount on a tablet is tied just to tablets and is not interchangeable with the 50% discount on a jetpack (aka hotspot)?  This distinction becomes rather important if at some point in the future the 50% discount is no longer offered and someone swaps a sim like I did and then loses the discount for good.  In fact my current plan is to add a new line for a Jetpack like device now and in a year or so replace the Jetpack with a tablet.

ZTE Z288L.jpg

0 Likes
Ann154
Community Leader
Community Leader

It might because you used a Tracfone device instead of Verizon Wireless device to test the hotspot data. 

I'm most definitely NOT a VZW employee. If a post answered your question, please mark it as the answer.

0 Likes