Motorola One Hyper - Cannot activate after receiving assurances
jbrownbusiness
Enthusiast - Level 1

Hi,

My wife and I both were looking at the Motorola One Hyper. It was pretty obvious from older postings that the unlocked version of the phone was not supported by Verizon. I reached out to a rep and asked if there was a plan to accept this phone onto the network in the near future since my understanding was that Verizon was going to be switching from CDMA to GSM. The rep assured me that the device could be activated and that I should just follow the link to set it up as a "Moto One Action" and it would be recognized. I was hesitant to drop a large amount of money without some guarantee that the phones would be usable with Verizon. The rep told assured me that they could be activated and even suggested that I reference our conversation. I included the conversation with the rep below. I ordered the phones and, of course, I am now being told they can't be activated. 

I think the major question I have is are they literally not capable of activating the phone or are they choosing not to because it is not on their "list"?

-Justin

You

I am interested in the Motorola One Hyper. My understanding that it isn’t TESTED on your network but with the change from CDMA to GSM this year is this, or will this phone in the future, be supported?

It doesn't look like I have an answer for your question. Please try rephrasing or select the link to contact a live rep.

One moment, and I'll get someone who can help you.

Verizon Agent

Let me verify the information and I'll just get back to you.

Verizon Agent

Upon further checking here, I can see that the Motorola One Hyper can be activated to Verizon network. Any smartphone so long as its 4G LTE enabled can be activated to Verizon network and should be unlocked.

You

That’s great news! Is there I way that can be guaranteed? We had some issue with compatibility in the past and it was a hassle to buy phones only to have to return them. We would plan to buy an unlocked version of the Hyper from Motorola

Verizon Agent

You can refer to this link for further details.

Verizon Agent

click here

Verizon Agent

I'll also note what we have discussed here to your account for further reference.

Verizon Agent

You can use this link to activate the phone once you have it.

Verizon Agent

click here

You

I did check the link previously and the phone does not show up on the list. All that is listed in the MOTO ONE ACTION XT20134 UNL.

You

I don’t mean to be a pain, I just want to be as sure as possible.

Verizon Agent

You can use the second link I sent in which that is the link you can use once you have the Motorola 

Verizon Agent

One Hyper** 

Verizon Agent

click here

You

So, the Hyper will be treated as though it is an Action when activated?

Verizon Agent

Yes, that is correct. 

You

Thank you very much for your help and patience!

Verizon Agent

Thanks for reaching out to us today as well and I'm glad to assist. While you have me, do you have further questions I may assist you with?

You

Not at the moment, thank you!

Tags (2)
0 Likes
Re: Motorola One Hyper - Cannot activate after receiving assurances
Ribbondino
Enthusiast - Level 1

Does not work with Verizon.  A quick Google search could have saved you a lot of time. Never believe a sales rep over something like this if their word is the only proof you have because they are often wrong. 

jbrownbusiness
Enthusiast - Level 1

You read my conversation with the rep? I did my research and given the swap over to GSM the answer from the rep seemed reasonable. Also... You realize how crazy that sounds right? Trust old articles (prior to GSM swap over) on the internet over the rep that clearly states that it can be done after I spell out the concern explicitly? 

I've also read forums about how it might be a requirement of the FCC to accept phones regardless of whether they are "accepted" by the company or not if they are network compatible. 

0 Likes
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

jbrownbusiness,

When it comes to unlocked phones, compatibility is key. Per Motorola the device is not compatible with our network: https://www.motorola.com/us/carrier-compatibility

You can always determine if you can BYOD with the following link: https://www.verizon.com/onedp/byod#/

KatiM_VZW

0 Likes
mama23dogs
Legend

@jbrownbusiness 

You got lots of bad information.  I don’t even know where you got some of that information because it’s all wrong.
Verizon is NOT switching to GSM.  Verizon is shutting down its 2g and 3g CDMA network and will be LTE and 5g only.   GSM is a dinosaur 2g network, and at&t has already shut down GSM and is also shutting down HSPA (3g).  
      So here is why your phone CAN’T work:   In order to work on Verizon’s LTE network your phone must have the required Verizon LTE bands that include band 13. The phone also has to be Verizon certified.  
     If you look at the photo you can see the phone you purchased versus the phone that will work on Verizon.  Also see the link and you’ll notice that the Motorola one action is on the list of approved and certified devices.   The Hyper might work on at&t.   I have a list of approved phones for at&t.   Otherwise, return the phone and buy one on verizon’s list.  ( No exceptions. )

https://www.verizon.com/featured/unlocked-phones/#categoryproductcarousal6

1846768E-F715-47C7-9279-C2B0A1738C09.jpeg7120DD8B-7430-444A-983E-E69BED117EDF.jpeg

0 Likes
mama23dogs
Legend

@jbrownbusiness wrote:

You read my conversation with the rep? I did my research and given the swap over to GSM the answer from the rep seemed reasonable. Also... You realize how crazy that sounds right? Trust old articles (prior to GSM swap over) on the internet over the rep that clearly states that it can be done after I spell out the concern explicitly? 

I've also read forums about how it might be a requirement of the FCC to accept phones regardless of whether they are "accepted" by the company or not if they are network compatible. 

I would love to see those (very incorrect) articles.   Motorola keeps its website up to date, and those compatibility lists are still correct.  If they weren’t Motorola would change them.  
The FCC isnt forcing Verizon to accept phones.  In fact all Verizon phones that are certified, I have already gone through FCC approval.   Wherever it is that you’re getting your information I would suggest you stop reading them.  So far they haven’t given you anything but a whole lot of miss information, and lead you to buy incompatible phones.  

0 Likes
edayeh33

STILL DOESN'T WORKScreen Shot 2020-08-26 at 7.05.53 PM.png

0 Likes
mama23dogs
Legend

🤦‍♀️  And it can’t and never will.  Either switch to AT&T or replace the phone.  You have 3 people, including a Verizon rep telling you this.  The chat rep was WRONG.  

0 Likes
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

edayeh33, we appreciate you notifying us of this concern. I am sending you a Private Note. TerranceT_VZW. 

0 Likes