BYOD : new Verizon sim not supported on Unlocked iPhone 6s
mihir131084
Enthusiast - Level 1

I recently swtiched from AT&T to Verizon. I received by new Micro SiM yesterday. I am trying to have it activated so that I can use it on my iPhone 6s. However, inspire of help from 3 Customer support agents, I cannot get it working . I see the message as attached in the snapshot.

Now it has been confirmed that my phone SHOULD support the SIM. They used  my IMEI # to confirm it., I have restarted by phone with the new SIM several times . The last agent asked me turn off my phone before inserting the new sim and then wait for 15 minutes to restart.  Still, I see the message on start up. 
I am wondering if anyone else has experienced this. The local Verizon store is still closed due to the COVID 19 situation. I don't know what to do if the calls don't work. C533CB54-A5C3-4681-8395-09E76BCE12A6_1_201_a.jpeg

1 Solution

Correct answers
Re: BYOD : new Verizon sim not supported on Unlocked iPhone 6s
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

@mihir131084

Making sure you have a working phone is certainly important, but there's a bit more on this that we'd still need to know. It is also important to mention that your phone should always be powered off when removing or installing a SIM card. Does the phone show up as compatible when you check the IMEI here: https://www.verizonwireless.com/checkesn/ . Have you done a factory reset on the phone since installing the Verizon SIM? Did you confirm with the previous carrier that your phone is unlocked from them? 

RussellM_VZW

View solution in original post

0 Likes
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

@mihir131084

Making sure you have a working phone is certainly important, but there's a bit more on this that we'd still need to know. It is also important to mention that your phone should always be powered off when removing or installing a SIM card. Does the phone show up as compatible when you check the IMEI here: https://www.verizonwireless.com/checkesn/ . Have you done a factory reset on the phone since installing the Verizon SIM? Did you confirm with the previous carrier that your phone is unlocked from them? 

RussellM_VZW

0 Likes
mihir131084
Enthusiast - Level 1

@vzw_customer_support Sorry, I should  have updated this post. Turned out , my iPhone 6s was indeed locked. I had to place an unlock request with ATT to move past this.

Now, I did have the phone unlocked a couple of years back. I still have the confirmation in my email. So I had assumed this not to be an issue. But working with the next Verizon tech support did uncover my 'real' lock status of the phone. I had to call AT&T to unlock my phone again. Kudos to their system that the phone was unlocked within seconds of me filing an online request.

Anyways, it should be noted that unlock requests may not be permanent if no action is taken for a long time. 

@vzw_customer_support wrote:

@mihir131084

Did you confirm with the previous carrier that your phone is unlocked from them? 

RussellM_VZW

0 Likes
cathyand80
Enthusiast - Level 2

I have a Apple store bought unlocked iPhone XR and Verizon carrier services tech help is poor to say the lest when you are trying to get a secure functioning iPhone as I can not get mms or mail encrypt by default and still getting insecure webpages and webpages not opening. 
I am not sure if it has to do with the original setup configuration incorrectly setup or what but I get different answers from each tech person I speak to and I wonder how well trained the tech staff is . No one should hear from your bank that a $750 vzw digital chat was charged to a debit card used only on the iPhone not account used to pay my automatic payments of $120 month.

0 Likes
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

I see. Thank you for the details, and no worries. We will help you figure this out. To confirm, is your device o the most recent software update? Also, have you tried to restart it to see if the issue continues? DavidR_VZW

0 Likes