won't turn on
kitmurdock

My blackberry tends to die very quickly and that's normal, so when I got home last night I plugged it in but the LED red light just flashes. so I plugged the usb charger into my computer and it was doing the same thing. If I unplug it, it stops blinking but I can't turn the phone on. What's wrong with it and how can I fix it?

Labels (1)
Tags (3)
0 Likes
Re: won't turn on
SydneyK
Master - Level 3

Did you let it charge for a few hours? With BlackBerry, if the battery gets too low, the radio shuts off. So, until you let it charge for a while, you won't be able to even turn it on.

0 Likes
kitmurdock

I had it plugged in over night and the red light just kept blinking so I believe it's charged

0 Likes
SydneyK
Master - Level 3

First, try a battery pull. Or you could try a replacement battery (if your Bold's battery has been draining quickly, the battery could be going bad).

If all else fails, you may have to reload the operating system. I suggest going to CrackBerry and searching this topic. There is a tutorial on the site about restoring the OS on a nuked or bricked BlackBerry. This seems to be the solution in threads about a flashing LED and not powering on.

If you've been backing up your data periodically with BB Desktop Software, it'll be easy to restore all your settings and data. Keep in mind though, if you've saved photos and other files to internal memory instead of the external media card, you will lose those items during this process.

0 Likes
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

I'm bummed to hear your phone won't turn on kitmurdock. The first thing I'd recommend is what SydneyK mentioned - try to pull your battery. Then, plug the Blackberry into a wall charger for a few hours. The USB charge from a computer charges at about one-fifth the rate, so you'll get the best and fastest charge from the wall. If the red blinking light continues, you'll need to reload the device software. Blackberry has a great how-to for this if it comes down to it at http://bit.ly/V5XpRG

For when your phone does power back on, here's a great link for maximizing the battery on your Blackberry: http://bit.ly/GHUfiC

I'm here to help if you still need me.
JenniferH_VZW

Please follow us on Twitter @vzwsupport

0 Likes
danamg7

I downloaded a software update and now my phone won't turn on. It gets to about 33% on the screen -- this is the first thing you see when you turn on the phone. I pulled the battery and tried again -- it got to the same point and froze. Do you have any suggestions for this? Thanks

0 Likes
SuzyQ
Community Leader
Community Leader

Do you have a current backup you can revert to and then retry the update via Desktop Manager?

Sometimes OTA updates are too large and get corrupted in the transfer.  I would recommend using Desktop Manager or BB Swiss Army Knife to install the update - hopefully the phone will connect via USB to your computer and you can proceed with the update that way.

0 Likes