Re: why does verizon cripple phones?
XtremeBerry
Contributor - Level 3

No I am not wrong! There are two types of crippling on CDMA blackberries and both of those issues are being rectified on new blackberries.  What the problem is third party software not always working correct with every phone and ever changing OS's.What model do you have Applepiter?

0 Likes
phoneproblem

I am glad that this issue sparked debate. The global trend of technology is that open technology makes happier people and restricted technology foments frustration. For the people that think switching carriers is the answer, I ask you this: Why aren't you telling the carrier to straighten up instead? I think that we, the people, that pay good money for services should get what we want. Not just what YOU want, but solutions that truly meet the needs of the largest amount of people possible, hence the trend for open technology making people happy.

If we never speak up about our wants/needs, then no company would ever know them. If we simply switched carriers, we would only be abused by the next carrier. The best thing to do is make your voice heard and speak loud enough for the rich people to hear us. As far as they're concerned, they have the best product available on the market and their customers are the happiest. This is not always so. Switching carriers is the cowardly way out.

With our money, we should get the best network, the most versatile technology, and the most responsive customer service. Anything less, especially in the name of cost-cutting, is a travesty to the people. You may think I'm being over-dramatic, but the fact is, we deserve more. Companies like this do everything they can to save money: automated customer service phone systems, online billing instead of paper, driving business to their content providers, selling phones with features and hardware pruned - all in the name of cost savings. This is why VZW phones come with less memory, proprietary software, and customized interfaces. It forces you to use the phone the way they want you to use the phone instead of the way you need to use the phone.

Two specific cases come to mind:

1. The Blackberry Tour has full suite bluetooth services by design. Verizon had RIM design a phone with less so they could sell their services.

2. The HTC Titan (aka XV6800) has 64MB of RAM. In real life, it has 128MB, but Verizon cut out half of that for two reasons that I can conceive: saving money on the hardware so they could make an extra few bucks off each handset, and making it so people couldn't download and simultaneously run a bunch of apps that use their bandwidth, thus making it look like Verizon's network was able to handle more than it really can. The truth is, if the iPhone ever comes to Verizon, they'll have as many bandwidth problems as AT&T.

We want better, more versatile devices. Just Google 'Verizon Bluetooth' - all you will see is how Verizon lauds it's bluetooth availability, and everyone else condemns it. You'll even see that some people sued for false advertising. It's a simple fact that Verizon tells you they are oh so bluetooth-loving when, in fact, the rest of the world is calling their bluff.

0 Likes
XtremeBerry
Contributor - Level 3

"I ask you this: Why aren't you telling the carrier to straighten up instead? I think that we, the people, that pay good money for services should get what we want."

People did thats why after the Curve debacle with a gimped GPS people threatened and petitioned for lawsuits on the matter and VZ decided they were going to have to do something at that point.

"The truth is, if the iPhone ever comes to Verizon, they'll have as many bandwidth problems as AT&T."

Thats why they are waiting on LTE and rolling out LTE in one huge chunk instead of individual areas. Now could this be a problem..oh yea. I hope not but I feel it is a risky gamble for VZ to do this. An area outage is bad but can you imagine a huge outage all at once, if one thing hiccups on this....ouch!

0 Likes
applepiter

i have a brand new bb tour, and it is crippled! i called 611 and spoke to a rep and tech support, and was told that the only app that will allow my gps to be located is a VZW approved app! OK, what phone do you have(does not matter), please try this...

go to Amaze.com, download the free app, see if it will locate you (let my know). you may have downloaded an app like google maps, and it works prefictly, i agree it does, only because its not voice nav.... you already have bb maps, so an app like googles does not threaten vzws ten dollar a month vz nav. i dont think you understand what is going on, just because vzw is claiming that they have unlocked there gps recievers, they are backdooring us by only approving apps that are not in direct compatition with there pay apps. i dont want to be rude, and dont get me wrong, i think vzw is a good company and offers a reliable svs, but they are unequivetly crippling your phones abilitys and your ability to make choices for your self.

0 Likes
applepiter

OK...... i am FED UP, the posters b4 me say, dont leave, band together, maybe we can change things..... I AGREE.....

now lets hear some suggestions on what we can possibley do. if they throw me off this  post sight for suggesting this, as they have the right to do. {edit}.

0 Likes
StreetDocRN
Champion - Level 1

Hi,

Ok, I've been watching this thread for a few days now and have carefully thought out my response.  As a Tour owner on Verizon, I love the GPS feature.  I agree with the person who started this thread that, not just Verizon, but many of the Blackberry providers block the GPS function from unapproved apps and it can be frustrating.  Each person has their own need for certain types of GPS apps for driving, biking, hiking, even golfing.  Blocking of unapproved GPS apps should be a disclaimer in the advertisment of the device you are wanting to purchase. 

However, leading up to answer the question, "Why does Verizon cripple phones," there are a couple of good ones.  First, Verizon is protecting their network from any type of app which may affect the network.  Next, Verizon wants to make sure that an app has gone through rigorous testing to make sure it performs well for its customers.  Last, Verizon wants to be able to provide technical help if the user should need it.  3rd Party GPS apps spring up at least one or two every month.  Some might be great apps and there is a proceedure for getting that app approved for use on the network.  It is a long process but worth it to get a great app for the end-user to use.  I totally understand about free apps Vs paid apps.  I work hard for my money and if something free works just as good as something you pay for...hey...I'm all for the free one.  An example of this would be Google Maps. 

Don't blame Verizon or any other major provider for looking out for the customer.  Blocking certain apps is done by them with good intentions.  Thanks for letting me put in my opinion. 

Doc

0 Likes
basspro
Contributor - Level 1

GPS on the Tour isn't restricted in any way.

0 Likes
applepiter

to streetdocrn,

ive seen lots of your posts, and you seem to me to be a good guy, articulate and have a lot of common sense, honestly- do you beleve that the only apps that vzw deems worthy of approval just happen to be the ones that dont conflict with there pay per month apps? there are tuns of free voice nav apps on the market and none(zero) are approved. do you really think vzw is looking out for our best intrests, or there own. plus if they did not have an approval process, and allowed us to use the apps we wanted to, we would go to the app provider for tech assistence not vzw,and we are paying for unlimited data, so if an app used lots of data, so what, were already paying for it. i would gladly trade off unlimited  data for a pay per use plan, with a wifi bb. and your right its not just vzw, its all the major carriers. we are in a mirrored room fulled with smoke.

0 Likes
applepiter

basspro,

reed my prior post on the Amaze.com free voice nav app and try it, let me know if it will locate you position.

0 Likes
StreetDocRN
Champion - Level 1

Hi

I am also a Tour owner.  I downloaded the amazegps app and it works great.  Found my location with no problem.  I downloaded the app from my Tour's browser and there was a link for Verizon phones to use.  Anyways, it works on the Tour.  I'll mess around with it for a few days and see how well it functions and let you know.

Doc

0 Likes