I have had the device for over 1 year without any troubles.
Starting in November 2011 I started having issues receiving text messages. This is a new problem. It has never been an issue before.
I was only alerted to this issue when a freind called to ask why I never responded to a text message.
It seems I have no problem SENDING - everyone to whom I have SENT a text message has gotten my text. The problem is I am not getting text messages sent to me.
This seems to be a random issue - I am not getting messages from Verizon as well as non Verizon phones, personal as well as business contacts for example, my bank.
PLEASE - IF YOU PLAN TO RESPOND PLEASE READ WHAT I HAVE TIRED ALREDY *DO NOT* REPLY IF YOU ARE ONLY GOING TO SUGGEST WHAT I HAVE ALREADY TRIED. THANK YOU.
I have tried all of the following MULTIPLE TIMES and as recently as 5pm today (01/09/2012)
Pulled the Battery
Cleared out email and text messages
Checked general text message setting (NOTE: I had never altered or changed these from day 1 but I checked them anyway)
Checked Mobile Network settings (Data service = ON While Roaming = ON Mobile Network = Verizon Wireless Network selection = Automatic Network technology = global - - - Note again I never altered or changed these setting from the start but I checked them anyway)
Like the author of this fix I had never changed the security settings on my phone. I didn"t even know they were there until I found this fix.
I see from additional posts on that same thread it is possible the security settings revert backed to "block SMS" messages randomly or after turning the device off and on. I'll have to see what happens but for now I am happy to have resolved this issue.