more than 160 characters in each text message
brmle12

I don't get why Verizon made the switch for every other phone to be able to text more than 160 characters, but not for blackberrys.....

Labels (1)
0 Likes
Re: more than 160 characters in each text message
SydneyK
Master - Level 3

Hi and welcome to the boards.

I look at it this way: You're doing the recipient a favor by not being able to send more than 160 characters, because it will be broken into two or more texts on her end anyway. When someone sends a long-winded text to my BB, I have to open two messages, then I get a third that reads "preceding message modified." I suppose if the customer has unlimited texting it's not a big deal, but I believe it otherwise counts as two texts. KWIM?

0 Likes
firstlady09
Contributor - Level 3

brmle12 wrote:

I don't get why Verizon made the switch for every other phone to be able to text more than 160 characters, but not for blackberrys.....

We're always looking into ways to make the customer's experience better. I will be sure to pass this along to the product manager. 

0 Likes
brmle12

SydneyK --

It's not an inconvience for anyone I text.  We all have unlimited text messaging....and even if, I would still send as many messages as I need to, so it doesn't matter if it automatically turns it into two messages or not -- I would manually do it....It's more of an inconvience for the blackberry to NOT allow more than 160 characters per text message.

0 Likes
brmle12
Thank you firstlady09.  I apppreciate it!
0 Likes
SydneyK
Master - Level 3

There are two apps in the CrackBerry store, Beyond160 and Textender, that allow you to send longer messages. Beyond160 is $6.99 and Textender is $0.99.

0 Likes
prestiosa

It would be GREAT if we could def do more than a 160 characters! I agree it's confusing that all other phones take care of it for us but the BB doens't

0 Likes
jlee7
Enthusiast - Level 3

BlackBerry Messenger has more than 160 characters. Unlimited, maybe??? On my BB, two or three texts in a row show all together like one text. Do yourself and others a favor and either learn some texting shorthand, or learn how to get to the point. long texts are very annoying. SMS stands for Short Messaging Service. I try to remember that when I text. In my personal experience, I say wat too much whenever I send long texts. And once its sent, there's no taking it back! :smileyvery-happy:

0 Likes
Celt902

On the rare occasion that I can't get in my thoughts in 160 I cut and paste over to an MMS instead.  You can be as long-winded as you want by doing that.   

0 Likes
basspro
Contributor - Level 1

On the new OS 6, texts longer than 160 characters are automatically converted to MMS. This is a great improvement in the new OS.

0 Likes