Re: Will the Blackberry Key2 work on Verizon network?
seelinger
Enthusiast - Level 2

After many weeks, still no texts...in fact I got this today?  Any suggestions on how to find those rare competent techs?

Good afternoon this message is for Brian C this is Jonathan with Verizon Wireless Tech Support just giving you a call back in regards to the conversation we had a couple of hours ago. Following up on getting your BlackBerry key to provision to for the text messaging. I went ahead and submitted a duplicate ticket request for the put the provisioning here and I got a response back and I'm really sorry to be the bearer of bad news but it looks like this particular model will not be compatible with the Verizon network you know some features are working voice and data but the text messaging and I don't have the all the exact details but there's a component that this device does not support or it's not compatible with with the Verizon network so what I'd be happy to do that was received about upgrade options and even waiting the upgrade charge the normal $30 charge to do an upgrade I'm sure we can work with you on that and see about getting you into a phone that will work. I'm gonna try to call you back in about an hour so that I can reach you I know you waited long enough on this but if I'm not able to reach you then I'll document the account and we'll go from there but thanks again so much for choosing Verizon. Really sorry that we weren't able to get that Blackberry set up on our network but I'm sure we can work with you in getting your phone.

rlariv

That is BS ! This is why I never deal with LEVEL 1 support. I have already talked to level 2 people - the phone has EVERYTHING is needs to be compatible. It is an LTE phone with the proper bands for communicating and doing TEXT/PHONE/DATA with the Verizon network.

Brian C - Ignore Jonathan (he can apologize later). Call 611 (or verizon) and insist on speaking to layer 2 support.. They understand the process of getting a phone "accepted" (or white listed).. They can add any feature to that list they want.. Including text.. Even international calling when you travel.. Level 1 has NO IDEA of how the system works or how phones are entered...

Good luck !

PS> If you leave an email - I will email you the level 2 guys who know how to do it !

Rob

0 Likes
Ann154
Community Leader
Community Leader

rlariv wrote:

That is ** ! This is why I never deal with LEVEL 1 support. I have already talked to level 2 people - the phone has EVERYTHING is needs to be compatible. It is an LTE phone with the proper bands for communicating and doing TEXT/PHONE/DATA with the Verizon network.

Brian C - Ignore Jonathan (he can apologize later). Call 611 (or verizon) and insist on speaking to layer 2 support.. They understand the process of getting a phone "accepted" (or white listed).. They can add any feature to that list they want.. Including text.. Even international calling when you travel.. Level 1 has NO IDEA of how the system works or how phones are entered...

Good luck !

PS> If you leave an email - I will email you the level 2 guys who know how to do it !

Rob

DO NOT post email addresses or other personal information on this public forum!

I'm most definitely NOT a VZW employee. If a post answered your question, please mark it as the answer.

0 Likes
rlariv

Would be nice to allow someone else to use my account notes to setup their phone - since my experience and communications was all documented and others could benefit from it.. maybe if the support call person can look up my account from this userid on this forum ? The person calling in (i.e. brian) can use this forum and my messages to look up what level 2 wrote in my account for set up of the KEY2 phone

0 Likes
Ann154
Community Leader
Community Leader

rlariv wrote:

Would be nice to allow someone else to use my account notes to setup their phone - since my experience and communications was all documented and others could benefit from it.. maybe if the support call person can look up my account from this userid on this forum ? The person calling in (i.e. brian) can use this forum and my messages to look up what level 2 wrote in my account for set up of the KEY2 phone

The VZW reps that man the customer service number at 1-800-922-0204, can only access the account notes for the person they are talking with at that time. They can't pull up another person's without their consent.

And the restrictions of posting personal information on this public forum is from the Verizon Wireless Terms of Service. Both you and I agreed to those terms when we registered for the community.

I'm most definitely NOT a VZW employee. If a post answered your question, please mark it as the answer.

0 Likes
rlariv

That is TOO bad because the notes from that communication would be helpful to anyone - and they are NOT personal in nature at all.. I wish there was a way I could download them (since they are mine and level 2) and then upload them to here for others..

BOTTOM line -> talk to level 2 support on the KEY2 issue and your phone will work fine for DATA/PHONE/TEXT.. Just not some of the advanced Verizon features..

0 Likes
seelinger
Enthusiast - Level 2

Rob,

I tried to add you as a connection here which should allow you to see my email address! 

Thanks

Brian

0 Likes
TS-CB
Enthusiast - Level 2

It appears, as I've discovered many times on other issues, that it really is dependent on the Tier 2 Tech you get. The one that put out the form to add my Key2 got the form kicked back - as in, NO sms.

TS-CB
Enthusiast - Level 2

Ok all, sorry it's taken me a while, but I thought to share my experience on how I finally managed to get SMS working on my Key2 - which actually required buying a Key2LE -

A new SIM was originally provisioned for "CDMA-less" function in an LG LTE Exalt, at the advice of one Tier 2 tech. But when plugged into the Key2, lost that provisioning, b/c the Exalt wasn't a smartphone. I expected to have another 2-hr Tier 2 call once I plugged the SIM into the LE, but it instantly recognized "CDMA-less" provisioning, once the LE had been through initial setup, and so rec'd texts instantly. On landline w Tier 3, I was told the system showed a Key2 - trying to explain the issue was hopeless. On a whim, decided to plug the SIM back into the Key2, and lo n behold "CDMA-less" was provisioned and texts started coming through - just by the simple act of plugging an already "CDMA-less" provisioned SIM that albeit was provisioned on a non-smart phone, and thus wasn't recognized by the system on a non-white listed smartphone, once plugged into a white listed smartphone, "CDMA-less" provisioning stayed up when swapped back

0 Likes
TS-CB
Enthusiast - Level 2

everyone please sit and think through that for a moment

While this is a VZW, albeit public forum, I feel I've earned the right to the following opinions - based on having been a VZW customer since 2005, and a RIM beta tester from 2006-2009 - meaning, I know my way around, and have been a loyal VZW customer for near 15 years -

1/ Tier 2, simply put, isn't. Not anymore. I've never had to elucidate so many on the technicalities of a single issue, and simple batch SFO order (#852627, if memory serves) to add a provision;

2/ VZW needs some serious thought into what's known as customer loyalty - I turned down a free BlackBerry Passport in 2015 b/c it wasn't compatible w CDMA. It's quite a simple concept that companies invariably tend to lose sight of, as they get too large, and CS is farmed out. That is still no excuse -consider how large a company RIM was - they still offered a free Passport when they weren't holding the lion's share of a market space they created;

3/ VZW (and on this one, I'm more than happy to be corrected) cited dual SIM as the reason they were "taking longer in their evaluation" of the Key2 - well, the LE IS dual SIM;

4/ do both BlackBerry Mobile (aka TCL, the world's largest cell phone manufacturer) and VZW (aka a network I'm still a 15 customer of) really care that little about what's admittedly their smallest demographic of customers -c'mon people, seriously.

There's absolutely no difference in the way that the LE's Qualcomm radio connects to the cell network - it's the same chip....so what am I missing? Is it the "alluded esim" which also doesn't exist in the Key2

to be clear -

Key2: model# BBF100-2

Key2LE: model# BBE100-5