Re: Will the Blackberry Key2 work on Verizon network?
lorenzop_vzw
Verizon Employee

seelinger, I'm sorry to hear that you are experiencing challenges with provisioning text messaging on your Blackberry phone. Allow me to clarify. If your phone is not a Verizon brand phone, we are unable to guarantee full compatibility of cellular services. If you would like to use a Blackberry device on our network, I recommend the Blackberry Key2LE as shown here: https://www.verizonwireless.com/articles/unlock-blackberry-key2le-smartphone-at-verizon/ Let us know if this helps.

LorenzoP_VZW

Follow us on Twitter @VZWSupport

If my response answered your question please click the "Correct Answer" button under my response. This ensures others can benefit from our conversation. Thanks in advance for your help with this!

0 Likes
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

Good morning, TS-CB, and thank you for taking the time to reach out to us. We apprecieate your quick response, as well as these updated details. Now that we've got this confirmed, it's vital we continue to review this further. To continue to utilize your time to the best of our ability, can we have you verify if any troubleshooting steps have been completed within the last 24 hours? If so, please let us know the last step you've completed so we can continue to get more details in regard to your current situation. However, if there are no troubleshooting steps that have been performed, the next step would be a Network Reset. A Network Reset can be performed to confirm that your device is running to the best of it's ability while holding its strongest connection to our service tower. In most cases this can be performed by completing the following steps : Settings < General < Reset < Reset Network Settings. Tap this again and your device will power cycle. When the power cycle has completed, tap Cellular Data and Wi-Fi both off and on, while turning Airplane Mode on and off. Now, use your device as you normally would for roughly 5 minutes and let us know if you see any changes in your device performance. We'll be right here waiting to look into the results with you. 

AnthonyM_VZW
Follow us on TWITTER @VZWSupport
If my response answered your question please click the _Correct Answer_ button under my response. This ensures others can benefit from our conversation. Thanks in advance for your help with this!!

0 Likes
TS-CB
Enthusiast - Level 2

Anthony M, thanks for your response.  I familiar with network reset.  I am currently in Singapore, and had thought to add to this forum my particular path to functionality.

I'm sure there're many other back checks on the VZW back end. The trouble shooting ended 1/16, and I flew out 1/19. That should answer your question re: further trouble shooting in the last 48 hrs.

I would love to continue to work TOGETHER w TRUE VZW tech support, as I've done through the years combining my experience w RIM and VZW tech staff.

I'll be back stateside 2/6, and will obviously be plugging my VZW SIM back into the Key2.  Only at that time, will I be able to evaluate the situation properly.

Rest assured, you'll hear back from me on this forum.

0 Likes
seelinger
Enthusiast - Level 2

No it does not help.  There is zero reason the Key2 non-LE can't work on the network.  In fact it is working in all ways except receiving texts.  Others have commented in crackberry forums and here that if it is provisioned just as the LE, it will work.  Calls, data and sending texts are all great.  The problem is receiving text messages and that is because the network is trying to send them using the incorrect protocol.

https://forums.crackberry.com/blackberry-key2-f472/verizon-key2-waiting-room-1146969/index46.html

https://forums.crackberry.com/blackberry-key2-f472/carrier-can-i-use-key2-1162222/

"got a key2 le. brought to verizon store. they put in a new SIM. It worked. Then transferred the SIM to the key2 and everything worked (calls, texts, and data)"

So no, it does not help - a competent tech who understands what they are doing would help.  I'm much more loyal to blackberry than VZW at this point.  Especially when I called and confirmed with VZW prior to purchase that the KEY2 would work with the LTE network...of course not the 3G CDMA..but I can live with that.

seelinger
Enthusiast - Level 2

Rob,

If you look at your connections you should be able to grab my email.  You might have to grab my vcard.  You don't have your email available to contacts so I can't email you.

Brian

0 Likes
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

We're truly sorry to hear of the issues being experienced with your text messages, seelinger. We are unable to guarantee the service of devices that are not sold through Verizon Wireless. There are devices that are certified to be used on our network, and you may find more information on them by using the following link. Devices are added to this list regularly, and you may keep check to see if your Blackberry Key2 is approved to be used on our network. https://community.verizonwireless.com/docs/DOC-2843

DavidR_VZW
If my response answered your question please click the _Correct Answer_ button under my response. This ensures others can benefit from our conversation. Thanks in advance for your help with this!!

0 Likes
rlariv

For those with the KEY2 - you NEED to call layer 2 support and ask that they add the KEY 2 to the whitelist Database.. This was the purpose of my very first post here - but everyone is trying to just add it the same as KEY2-LE..

You maybe right - the hardware and protocols for both phones are the same !! Got it ! BUT.. there is a difference in the IDs for the phones and it still needs to be added to the whitelist.. Layer 2 has promised to do this for ANYONE who calls in and talks to layer 2 !! It only has to be done ONCE for EVERYONE.. So PLEASE PLEASE - ask to speak to layer 2 support - and then ask to have the KEY 2 added to whitelist .. this is different than asking them to activate it.. You will need to call back in 48 to 72 hours after your whitelist request to then activate it.. its a TWO STEP process..

0 Likes
OUTOFROLE

I just read thru all the post and I have to make a comment.

Verizon's customer service rep responses here were so canned and useless information.  Always ending with the same subscribe to this, follow this link, etc. when clearly those suggestions made leads t ok nowhere is why people get frustrated and start to wonder what the grass is like on the other side.

The way your handling your responses is the same as hey go read our policy manual.  We could do that without you chiming in here.

0 Likes
seelinger
Enthusiast - Level 2

I've done that and the form they sent in to get filled out, was rejected.  They said that group doesn't communicate other than electronically   Sounds like a crock to me.  Everyone I spoke to claimed to be level 2 support...anyone know how to verify that they are?

0 Likes
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

seelinger, I'm sorry to hear that your previously submitted form was not accepted. I want to ensure that you have the right expectations for Blackberry compatibility. After further researching the KEY2 model, I am able to verify that only the KEY2 LE with model number BBE-100-5 is approved for use on our network. Although we may submit forms for the KEY2 model, we are not able to guarantee that they will be accepted, as it differs from the KEY2 LE model. Let us know if this helps to clarify.

LorenzoP_VZW

0 Likes