Why Didn't My Blackberry Priv Come With Marshmallow 6.0 Update?
Kever79

Dont expect any answers from Verizon about Marshmallow and the Priv. I bought my Priv in June based on the ADVERTISED specs that specified the Priv comes loaded with Marshmallow 6.0. I then called Verizon and was assured by an associate and a member of the managent team that my new phone would have MM 6.0, and to assure me if that they both said that they "guaranteed" it would have MM. That's why I wanted a new phone, Lollipop is a horrible OS and does not work with Microsoft Sync in any of my Ford's or with the Bluelink in my Hyundai's. Verizon and Android have both stated that MM fixes all those issues with those vehicle systems. After going to over 2 dozen corporate stores, retail stores, and kiosks at places like Walmart and Target I have noticed Verizon still advertises Priv as coming preloaded with MM 6.0. After spending hours with cust service to see if they can push MM for my phone they finally "agreed" to allow the update for me. I was informed that it cannot be done over the phone or online and I would have to go into a corporate store and they could manually push MM. They even gave me a confirmation number and said to give that number to the store manager which will authorize the update. I was just at the corporate store today, the one I was told to go to, and the manager informed me that stores haven't been allowed to do OS updates for 7 years. He said I need to call cust service and coordinate with tech support to try and get the update. I told him they gave me a confirmation number that was supposed to let the store know what's authorized and upon looking at the number the manager said he had no clue what that number was for. He stated that stores aren't allowed to do anything but sell phones, plans and accessories and they are limited to the types of questions they are allowed to answer for anything unless it's a new sale or upgrade. He went on to say they aren't even allowed to assist you in doing simple things like setting up your voice mail or showing you how to program contacts in your phone book.

So now I've went back and forth between tech support, cust service, and more than one corporate store and they each tell me that they can't help because it's someone else's job. And in the meantime I have a great phone that I can only partially use because the OS is so terrible and many functions don't work with BlackBerry, MS Sync or Bluelink. But this also means that when Nougat 7.0 is released in December or January I won't be able to receive that one either, because you aren't allowed to install the newest platform without having the previous build currently on your device.

[Removed]

Inappropriate Content removed as required by the Verizon Wireless Terms of Service

Message edited by Verizon Moderator

Labels (1)
0 Likes
1 Solution

Correct answers
Re: Why Didn't My Blackberry Priv Come With Marshmallow 6.0 Update?
tionnab_vzw
Verizon Employee

Mnrdtl, we understand the concern regarding the software update to the phone. I like have the most recent software on my phone as well. We fully test a release prior to deploying it to devices to avoid any customer impacting issues. The testing and approval goes through many different channels to ensure our release is aligned with our customer’s expectations of the best devices on the most reliable network. At this time we do not have information as to the marshmallow software. I recommend periodically checking the following link http://vz.to/1LOGDOs, to review for any new updates.

View solution in original post

0 Likes
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

We want to make sure that your issue is well explored. Upon reviewing my resources, I am showing that the BlackBerry Priv comes pre-loaded with 5.1 Lollipop. We do not have word on the release of Marshmallow at this time. Have you tried reaching out to the manufacturer for assistance?

HarleyE_VZW Follow us on TWITTER @VZWSupport If my response answered your question please click the Correct Answer button under my response. This ensures others can benefit from our conversation. Thanks in advance for your help with this!

0 Likes
rgray
Contributor - Level 1

vzw_customer_support​ How do do you suggest we get the Marshmallow update from Blackberry? It's my understanding that OS and sercurity updates are delivered by Verizon. Can you confirm this?

Also if vzw_customer_support​ is not going to release an OS update to the PRIV they should release security updates. What is your response to this?

As you can tell many of us are dissatisfied with Verizon's lack of responsibility in keeping our phones up to date.

0 Likes
DickLewis
Contributor - Level 3

I have already contacted @VZWSupport through Twitter and more ways than I can count.

Verizon not releasing Marshmallow for Priv is a huge disservice to their customers.

Hopefully the FCC will update its rules and regulations so that carriers get off their tush and release OS upgrades on a timely manner.

I paid full price for my Priv, bought as did the OP thinking it had Marshmallow instead of Lollipop, or would at least get the update soon. Proof that Verizon only wants to sell phones and accessories, then treat customers like second class nothings.  PHHHBBBTTT.

0 Likes
mnrdtl
Enthusiast - Level 3

Your answer did not help at all. In fact it was another no answer like always. MM was released to VZW months ago. Seems like you have to many people working on covering-up your data overage charges to customers instead of working on  OS updates.

0 Likes
tionnab_vzw
Verizon Employee

Mnrdtl, we understand the concern regarding the software update to the phone. I like have the most recent software on my phone as well. We fully test a release prior to deploying it to devices to avoid any customer impacting issues. The testing and approval goes through many different channels to ensure our release is aligned with our customer’s expectations of the best devices on the most reliable network. At this time we do not have information as to the marshmallow software. I recommend periodically checking the following link http://vz.to/1LOGDOs, to review for any new updates.

0 Likes
mnrdtl
Enthusiast - Level 3

VZW needs to clean house of the incompetent programmers then. Other carriers have released MM for the Priv, why can't Verizon? Also VZW is losing ground big time in reliablity. So what is your point in your answer? Just admit VZW can't or won't release MM.

0 Likes
Ann154
Community Leader
Community Leader

mnrdtl wrote:

VZW needs to clean house of the incompetent programmers then. Other carriers have released MM for the Priv, why can't Verizon? Also VZW is losing ground big time in reliablity. So what is your point in your answer? Just admit VZW can't or won't release MM.

Verizon Wireless doesn't touch the code for the OS updates. Blackberry needs to complete the build for the Verizon model and submit it for testing to Verizon Wireless in order to verify the update doesn't break the phone's connection to the network and to verify the update installs properly. It is entirely possible that Blackberry has submitted the update at least once, but it failed the tests and was sent back to Blackberry. This cycle will repeat until both parties are satisfied and Verizon Wireless gives their technical approval. Unfortunately the customers don't ever know how many times this process happens unless the manufacturer post the status of the updates publicly.

I'm most definitely NOT a VZW employee. If a post answered your question, please mark it as the answer.

0 Likes