Re: When will Verizon push Android Marshmallow for the Blackberry Priv?
ggendel
Contributor - Level 1

As for my company picking up the tab to switch, I convinced them that this was the right phone because of Blackberry's position on security.  Blackberry has been exemplary in keeping that promise.  They rapid patch security issues and were the first to patch QuadRooter.  Verizon is the one that has put me in this situation and had done diddly-squat to rectify it.  Verizon seems to be dishing out support in an uneven-handed manner.  Some people I know that put in FCC complaints have been ignored, others have been sent a Galaxy S7 edge and allowed to keep the Priv.  Others were told they should upgrade to an iPhone.  I have been verbally promised several things that Verizon reneged on.  They continually say one thing to me and a completely different thing to the FCC. Now when they promise me things I tell them to send me an email to confirming it.  I've never gotten a confirmation yet.  I'd love to get a transcript of our conversations they've taped.  Your VP, Tami Erwin had promised me in writing that I would be contacted by a key person the next day.  Even in writing, Verizon fails to do what they promise.

You continually say things without a shred of documentation to support it.  Are you paid by Verizon?  You certainly espouse the same rhetoric we've all heard from them.  This nonsense is why we're all here complaining.  I would be glad to have a rational discussion on what you post, but you don't or can't make a rational argument and say things that are blatantly misguided.

What amazes me is that as bad as Verizon Wireless support has been over my 14+ years as a customer, I don't have a single complaint about Verizon Communications.  Their technical support has bent over backwards many times to resolve issues even though my setup is non-standard.  In fact, I find their technical support jazzed to be working on an unusual situation. Case in point... I was missing a channel in my lineup.  It's not one I really cared about, but I reported it and mentioned that I use my own equipment with M-cards.  The tech guy called and I repeated that it wasn't a serious problem but he WANTED to fix it.  We worked together for over 20 minutes before he figured it out.  I thanked him and he said, "I see you have another M-card, do you want me to fix that too?"  I said, that it really isn't necessary, but he insisted. That one only took a couple of minutes.

KJJohnson37
Enthusiast - Level 3

Two things.  First my buddy just received the Android 7.0 update for his non PRIV device.

Second, everytime I go to settings / about phone / system update, I get the attached error message.  I brought it up with Verizon twice, but they said it was fine since I have the latest build number.  My concern is when MM is actually release it may not get pushed to my phone.  Any ideas or have you see this before?

Screenshot_2016-09-21-00-07-50.png

Thank in advance for any help.

ggendel
Contributor - Level 1

This is a common problem for Priv owners on Verizon.  I've had it since day 1.  If you hit OK and then hit "Check for Update", it does perform the check.

I reported it to Tech Support way back and it got up to Tier II but they had no clue why it was happening.  In my case, I assumed it was because LTE is very weak (-118) in my house.  Weak enough to drop calls or have large lapses of "I can't hear you" on both ends periodically.  I can visually see the tower from my house, but they must have the antennas pointed the other direction.  Verizon agreed and sent me a femtocell.  Unfortunately, they sent me a 3g unit instead of one with 4g.  This meant that I have to shut off LTE voice on all phones (iPhone, Z30, Priv).  With it on, the phones would ignore the femtocell and connect to the tower.

Verizon replies to the FCC infer that they test devices until they are perfect.  Somehow their crackerjack QA process missed this obvious bug and their software team has not figured out how to fix it.

0 Likes
pherson
Champion - Level 1

Just for kicks and giggles, I decided to check out several tech articles regarding the Priv, and what I kept seeing was "they will work with carriers to push out updates or push out security vulnerability updates if needed without the carrier". It also does say "eventual update to" Android 6. Which means, first of all android 6 is not seemed something critical to blackberry, and two the fact that you haven't received updates is also due to blackberry, because they have the ability to override carriers. The Priv came late to Verizon and maybe Blackberry is not as interested in maintaining And or can't the late arrival. So your beef is with blackberry in this one.

0 Likes
ggendel
Contributor - Level 1

Nice trolling...

http://blogs.blackberry.com/2015/11/managing-android-security-patching-for-priv/

Hotfix patching is reserved for critical updates that need to get pushed before they can provide them to the carriers.  So far Blackberry has deemed the the vulnerabilities can afford the time to push them through the carriers.  I'm going to repeat this for the last time...  VERIZON IS THE ONLY CARRIER NOT TO SEND THESE PATCHES TO THEIR CUSTOMERS IN A TIMELY FASHION.  This includes domestic and international carriers.  This in no way reflects bad on Blackberry who has been exemplary in getting patches out before they are publicly disclosed by Google.

Please stay away, you have no credibility in this discussion.

0 Likes
pherson
Champion - Level 1

I have excellent credi in this and all discussions. It does appear however that in customers eyes BB can do no wrong and Verizon is the culprit. I've said it once and I'll say it again; don't like it, switch carriers or switch phones. I even did some the research FOR you; the proof is in the pudding.

Case closed.

0 Likes
ggendel
Contributor - Level 1

The research you "did for giggles?"  I see no research.  Where are the links that support your argument.  I showed you mine directly from Blackberry that specifically refutes it.

Thanks for closing the case without any rational reason; that's just what Verizon does.  It's not Blackberry's responsibility to fix things that Verizon is contractually responsible to fix.  Show me the documentation that this is a false statement.

If Verizon can show that Blackberry is at fault, why don't they present it.  I had a 3 way conversation between Blackberry support, Verizon Executive Services, and myself and Blackberry categorically refuted every claim that Verizon presented.

0 Likes
pherson
Champion - Level 1

I don't have to post research. The beauty of it is, Google can be a wonderful search tool that we all have access to. But here is one for you to read since you wish to drag it out further......

BlackBerry Priv review - CNET

0 Likes
ggendel
Contributor - Level 1

Ok, now you're just being a narcissist.  The CNET article:

BlackBerry has also committed to rolling out monthly security updates as Google discovers and addresses vulnerabilities. In cases where a vulnerability can't wait for a monthly update, BlackBerry will also be able to roll out hotfixes directly to the Priv -- the company has pledged to work with carriers on delivering updates, but also has the ability to circumvent them, and directly patch the Priv if necessary. On the enterprise level, you can turn to BlackBerry Enterprise Server (BES) to manage software and security deployments.

From Blackberry:

Some critical Android vulnerabilities – for example, one that can be easily and remotely exploited with a publicly disclosed method to execute “root” privileged malware – simply can’t wait for a monthly update cycle.  Depending on the severity of the problem, complexity of the fix, and timing relative to the monthly update cycle, BlackBerry will opt to perform a hotfix, where the code to address only the specific critical problem is pushed to customers. Because a hotfix is typically limited in scope, the balance between a longer testing and approval process and the risk from the critical flaw makes this approach an important addition to helping keep users safe and secure. While BlackBerry will work with its go-to-market partners on approval and delivery of hotfixes, BlackBerry has the ability to directly patch all PRIV variants and will do so when necessary to protect users and enterprises.

Thank you!  You just supported my claim with a super example.  Blackberry should step in and push hotfixes if the carrier refuses to do it.  You and I agree, Verizon does not honor it's commitment to support users of the Priv.  As soon as Verizon admits that, we can ask Blackberry to do it for them. The ball is in Verizon's court. If they publicly state that they won't give us updates then Blackberry should be free to step in.  However, Verizon would probably bully Blackberry by refusing to let another Blackberry phone on their network.  Verizon holds the trump card.  With a smaller player like Blackberry, this demonstrates why Verizon needs to be brought to account.

0 Likes
pherson
Champion - Level 1

That is not what I said nor do I stand behind that.

0 Likes