Re: When will Verizon push Android Marshmallow for the Blackberry Priv?
rgray
Contributor - Level 1

Here we are at the end of August without an update since June. Nothing. Maybe @EricW_VZW can provide an update.

KJJohnson37
Enthusiast - Level 3

Don't hold your breath. Verizon Wireless doesn't care about their customers obviously. No one has ever responded to this thread or responded to any email inquiries that I've sent to them.

pherson
Champion - Level 1

That's because email support through Verizon was stopped for quite some time.

KJJohnson37
Enthusiast - Level 3

I am aware that email support was stopped, but when Sheralla [removed] emailed me asking for details and I replied multiply times without hearing a reply, it shows a lack of concern for their customers.

Personal information removed as required by the Verizon Wireless Terms of Service

Message edited by Verizon Wireless

mnrdtl
Enthusiast - Level 3

I been going through this for awhile. No answers from Verizon here, facebook or messages. I opened a case with Blackberry. Mary informed me that it was released by BB to VW. Only response from VW , it there was a problem and needs further testing. My next thread will be....When will Priv get Nougat.

ggendel
Contributor - Level 1

I'm going to ask a more broader question...  When will Verizon push security patches available from Blackberry.  This is not quite a different problem because MM is also a security patch.

I've checked and Verizon has 211 outstanding security patches for the BB Priv including QuadRooter and several other 5+ level CVEs.  I've also put in an FCC complaint #1130455 and an FTC complaint #76118606.

Dealing with Verizon (case number 1946750) drove me to put together a rather large dossier with the FCC.  It was the FCC agent that recommended I put in the FTC complaint.  I have gotten apologies from Verizon with documented inconsistencies in their responses. I was willing to drop the complaint if they would send me a letter saying that they were aware of the situation and were working to resolve it.  This was refused, citing that this information was "Proprietary".  For example, they blamed BB but in a 3-way conversation between Verizon, Blackberry, and myself Verizon was proven completely wrong.

I've seen this nonsense from my first smartphone with Verizon back in the late 80s.  I thought I found a way around it with my Palm WebOS phones and the amazing homebrew community where I could upgrade my phones directly and served me well for years.  I blame a large part of Palm's demise on Verizon's lack of support and biased marketing tactics.  I could do something similar with BBOS as Blackberry provided autoloaders.  To add insult to injury, Verizon charged a premium over every other vendor for this phone and stopped support only 6 months after they started selling it.  Every other vendor has been keeping up with patches (AT&T released new patches today).  The first time I talked to the Verizon agent, I was told that "If the phone can make calls and send texts then that is all Verizon has to do". What does that say about how Verizon treats lower sales devices?

With the Priv's secure boot, the only way to get around this is to let Blackberry provide signed autoloaders.  However, I suspect that would violate whatever contract they have with Verizon.  I consider non-action on Verizon's part to be a violation of the spirit of this contract.  I implore Verizon to own up to this and let Blackberry provide autoloaders for Verizon customers.  That means that Verizon's "customization" would be removed.

I humbly request that everyone else that has been left in the cold by Verizon (including non-blackberry devices), follow my lead and submit a complaint to the FCC.

KJJohnson37
Enthusiast - Level 3

danw_vzw

verizonwireless-admin

verizonadmin

Do you think we can get some feed back from Verizon.  Why bother putting a "community  page" if they don't even bother joining the thread.  I also filed another FCC complaint and plan on filing a FTC and a BBB one soon.  Completely ridiculous!

NANTOM62

oh so wifi calling doesn't work on the priv,  i was trying to figure out how to turn it on

0 Likes
ggendel
Contributor - Level 1

This is still not clear. The Priv is certainly capable of doing Wifi calling and all other carriers that support Wifi calling allow it on the Priv. Verizon support has mentioned that they will support Wifi on the Priv with the Marshmallow upgrade. However, that requires Verizon to put it on the approved devices list. Given their current support track record, I suspect that they relish aggravating their customers.

0 Likes
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

I appreciate everyone’s patience and apologize for the delay. We constantly work with Blackberry and Google to ensure that each software update has been thoroughly tested so that when it is released it is a smooth process. As any update for the Priv is released, we will update http://www.verizonwireless.com/support/blackberry-priv-update/ with the details.

JenniferH_VZW
Follow us on Twitter @VZWSupport
If my response answered your question please click the "Correct Answer" button under my response. This ensures others can benefit from our conversation. Thanks in advance for your help with this!!

0 Likes