Vlingo on Storm 1
bikeguy

Can anyone who has used Vlingo on a Storm 1 tell me how well it worked and any issues they had?  I did a search on these boards and I saw Doc had some memory leak issues with it - has anyone had this issue or any other issues?   It sounds like a fun app, but I am concerned it might be troublesome.

Thanks.

Labels (1)
Tags (2)
0 Likes
Re: Vlingo on Storm 1
Coachbulldog

I had it for a few days but uninstalled it. I found simpler and more convenient to use other apps and launchers for things like news, weather, sports, and podcasts than Viigo.

0 Likes
StreetDocRN
Champion - Level 1

bikeguy wrote:

Can anyone who has used Vlingo on a Storm 1 tell me how well it worked and any issues they had?  I did a search on these boards and I saw Doc had some memory leak issues with it - has anyone had this issue or any other issues?   It sounds like a fun app, but I am concerned it might be troublesome.

Thanks.

Hey, Bikeguy,

I had some memory leaks with Viigo, not Vlingo.  Two seperate apps.  I have never tried the Vlingo app, but have thougth about trying it.  If you do download and use it, come back here and let me know what you think about it.  Thanks in advance.

Doc

0 Likes
bikeguy

StreetDoc - Sorry I misread your earlier post.  I have also installed the News Reader Viigo and noticed the memory leaks.

If I decide to install Vlingo I will report back as to what think about it.

Thanks.

0 Likes
Coachbulldog

As the officials say in the NFL, "upon further review..." I reinstalled Viiago and decided to give it a second chance. I am very glad I did. The up to date news, weather, sports, traffic, etc.. are outstanding. The podcasts with automatic updates is convenient although the Viiago media player is not high quality. Overall, I would grade this app a solid B+ and I use it several times each day.

0 Likes
DreadPirateJeff

I have Vlingo on my Storm 1.  Got it on the old OS and it worked great.  Upgraded to OS 5.0 and it stopped working.  Picked up the latest Vlingo update the other day (has support for OS 5.0 now) and it again works great.

Vlingo is cool, especially if you do a lot of texting or e-mail... but you really need to pay for the Pro version as the free version limits what you can do to mostly searching google/yahoo, sending twitter and facebook updates, and unlimited voice texts to other registered vlingo users... the pro lets you dictate sms and e-mail to anyone, and more.

It takes a bit to get going... the config is fairly easy, but it's not incredibly accurate until after you've used it a while.  They were serious when they said that it learns your speech patterns and improves accuracy over time.  The more you use it, the better it becomes at translating what you say into text.

It's pretty cool, and definitely one of my favorite BB apps.

As for Viigo, I tried that, and the memory leaks were HORRIBLE.  I haven't tried it recently though, so maybe I'll pull it down again and try it out. All I really wanted was a usable RSS reader without having to use Google Mobile.  Viigo was bigger than what I wanted, and the UI is a bit clunky (especially if you use the Craigslist Search feature) and I also found it took forever to update or didn't update things like Sports Live Scores and so forth, but at least for reading RSS feeds and such, it worked well.

As I said though, about Viigo, the version I tried a few months ago on the older Storm OS had horrible memory leak issues, and I have not re-installed and tried it since I upgraded to 5.0 and new versions of Viigo have been released.

Cheers

Jeff

0 Likes