Viewing who a text is from on a BlackBerry Bold 9650
Magnettarose
Enthusiast - Level 3

HI;

Is there a way to view who a text message is from before opening it? When I receive a text or picture message it doesn't show who it's from & they are in my contacts.  All I get is phone numbers (I guess of who all the message was sent to).  I like to know who sent the message befoe I open it..

Thanks in advance.

Labels (1)
0 Likes
1 Solution

Correct answers
Re: Viewing who a text is from on a BlackBerry Bold 9650
SuzyQ
Community Leader
Community Leader

Magnettarose wrote:

No they are numbers that aren't in my contacts, The last thing I see on the list is a person that is in my contacts.

Now I'm confused.  :smileysad:  If the person that is sending the text message is listed in your contacts, with their full 10 digit phone number, then the name should come up on the caller ID when they call or text you.  If they are NOT in your contacts, or you only have the last 7 of their phone number, or possibly a "1" in front of the phone number, then it will not match the incoming number with anything in your contacts and so will just display the number.

Does it ever display a name for incoming text messages?

View solution in original post

0 Likes
SuzyQ
Community Leader
Community Leader
Are they in your contacts with the full 10 digit phone number (no leading "1")? That's the only reason I ca think of that the name wouldn't come up . . .
0 Likes
Magnettarose
Enthusiast - Level 3

No they are numbers that aren't in my contacts, The last thing I see on the list is a person that is in my contacts.

0 Likes
SuzyQ
Community Leader
Community Leader

Magnettarose wrote:

Now I'm confused.  :smileysad:  If the person that is sending the text message is listed in your contacts, with their full 10 digit phone number, then the name should come up on the caller ID when they call or text you.  If they are NOT in your contacts, or you only have the last 7 of their phone number, or possibly a "1" in front of the phone number, then it will not match the incoming number with anything in your contacts and so will just display the number.

Does it ever display a name for incoming text messages?

0 Likes
rcschnoor
Legend

Magnettarose wrote:

No they are numbers that aren't in my contacts

If the numbers aren't in your contacts, a name will not show up to let you know who the text is from.

Additionally, if it is from one of your contacts, a name will ONLY show up if your contact information has the 10 digit phone number which includes the area code.

0 Likes
Magnettarose
Enthusiast - Level 3

Thanks for the help.  The problem was that there was a 1 in front of my contact numbers. I thought there had to be a 1 in front of the phone numbers. Thanks again for helping me solve my problem.

0 Likes
SuzyQ
Community Leader
Community Leader

Magnettarose wrote:

Thanks for the help.  The problem was that there was a 1 in front of my contact numbers. I thought there had to be a 1 in front of the phone numbers. Thanks again for helping me solve my problem.

Glad we got it resolved for you!  The "1" for long distance was on landlines - since there are no "long distance" as such on cell phones, you just need the area code and phone number, no "1".  In fact, on some phones, the "1' in front causes problems, so I always recommend not using it at all.

0 Likes