VZAccess Manager for Blackberry Storm
Kenstormuser
I just purchased a MacBook Pro and wanted to download VZAccess Manager so that I could tether my BlackBerry Storm. But, alas, I am disappointed! Tech Support tells me that there is NO VZAccess Manager for the Mac that works for any Blackberry (although there are versions for other phone brands). Moreover, there apparently no plans to create a Blackberry version of VZAccess Manager for the Mac. Very discouraging inasmuch as I travel frequently and I rely on using my Blackberry to connect my laptop to the Internet. Hope someone at Verizon is reading these posts and puts this on a ToDo List.
Labels (1)
0 Likes
Re: VZAccess Manager for Blackberry Storm
cgbb
Enthusiast - Level 3

I'm not familiar with Mac but I thought I heard there was a program called "Bootcamp" or Parallel mode where you can have the Windows OS running instead of the Mac. Will theVz Acess Manager work with that? Try it or check with Tech Support. Maybe someone else can chime in.

0 Likes
UIC

Prerequisites

You will need a copy of Windows (2000. XP, Vista)

Parallel requires that you buy a license

What I did was download Vitiualbox (free opensource software from Sun Microsystems). 

http://www.virtualbox.org/

The install is very straightforward. Once you have Virtualbox loaded, it will allow you to load a Windows' image running under Virtualbox. You can now load VZAccess

Couple of pointers

Before you plug in your blackberry, in the Mac Finder app, make sure that your blackberry is not mounted (you will see blackberry under the left column if it is mounted. If it is mounted right click over blackberry and click on eject. When you start virtualbox,and have VZAccess installed, in the titlebar of Virtuabox, go under Devices and make sure that the RIM USB driver is not grayed out.

Synching Blackberry with Mac

You will need to down load the application (free) PocketMac along with its driver. Install the driver before installing PocketMac. The user interface is very straight forward.

Hope this helps

0 Likes
Tethering Mac and Blackberry (with Verizon as signal source)
psmith2383

When I got my Storm I was told by RIM that the big problem with tethering is Verizon's unwillingness to recognize the Mac operating system.   Those who own iPhones have tethering problems with AT&T but it seems that soon they will be set up to allow the iPhone to tether with both PC and Mac Users.  

How I got my Storm to tether with my Macbook Pro is a whole other story.  Mainly I had to get on Blackberry Storm and Mac owner forums and find someone who figured out how to make the current Verizon Storm Manager to work with a Mac.  It involves, as one of our group pointed out on this discussion thread, identifying the computer in the setup form as a Motorola Q, or something like that.  So it work perfectly since I got my Storm, but only by going into the back alleys of cyberdom and asking, "Hay, Mac, got a fix for me?" 

I travel a lot and am in places where I can't use WiFi or plug in so a tethering device is essential for me.  I do pay 30$ a month for this service to Verizon.  They know I'm tethering and are willing to take my money but they would not give me any help on how to set up a connection between my Storm and my Mac portable. 

I am not an iPhone advocate, nor am I particularly in love with my Storm.  But if Verizon doesn't work with Mac owners and support their OS on their phones when my two years are up, I'm jumping ship to iPhone and AT&T, even though at this time Verizon to my knowledge has the largest coverage nationwide.   psmith2383

0 Likes
ifly4fun

You don't need VZAccess Manager to tether your BB to your Mac or PC.. All you need is the BB Desktop Manager installed. When you connect your BB it will create a Dial-Up connection (Modem). Configuration information is:

Number: #777

Username : <10digitnumber>@vzw3g.com

pass: vzw

You do have to have tethering on your account.

0 Likes