VZ Navigator on 8830
nate831

I just activated VZ Navigator on my BB 8830.  I have two problems with it. The first problem is that it is sometimes late in telling me to take a turn.  I'll be crossing through an intersection just as it's telling me to turn left or right at that intersection.  The other problem is that after a few turns the voice stops working and if I want directions I have to read the map, while I'm driving.  I've reloaded the program, pulled the battery, and I'm still having the same problem.  Is it just a lousy app?  I'd like to know - I shouldn't have to pay $9.99 a month so that my phone can frustrate me.   Thanks.

Labels (1)
0 Likes
Re: VZ Navigator on 8830
StreetDocRN
Champion - Level 1

Hi,

I use VZ Navigator on my Blackberry Bold.  It works well and I have never had the sound issue you describe.  That must be a setting on your device, perhaps in the application modue itself, that can be set to allow for the device to be "always on" while VZNavigator is in use.  What version are you using?  I am using the 6.2 version on my device.  As for the giving an instruction to turn after you have passed a street that is intended for you to turn, it sounds like maybe a processing issue with your device.  I do know that mine tells me starting in 1/2 mile to prepare to turn at at particular waypoint.  It will also remind you as you become closer.  I guess for now, the only thing I can think of is to make sure you have the latest version of the program on your device.  I hope this all helps you a little bit.

Doc

0 Likes
nate831

Thanks Doc.  I'm using version 4.1.0, which seems to be the most recent version for the 8830.  I have also used the "check for updates" feature a couple of times, and VZ Nav responds that my version is current.  I'll keep looking, and if I find a solution I'll post it here. I'm sure I'm not the only one experiencing this problem.  Maybe.

Thanks.

Mark

0 Likes
StreetDocRN
Champion - Level 1

Hey,

Try this, on your device, go to http://mobile.vzw.com and click on the VZNavigator link.  See if it will let you download a later version of VZNavigator.  Fingers crossed...

Doc

0 Likes
nate831

Hi Doc.  I couldn't find a more recent version of VZ Nav for my BB, so I called Verizon.  As usual, the people answering the phone were extremely helpful.  I love their phone support.  They are sending me a new BB overnight, so I'll have it tomorrow.  Since my phone is getting a little old anyway, I'm very satisfied with their solution.  Thanks for your suggestions, though; I appreciate your time and effort.

Mark

0 Likes
StreetDocRN
Champion - Level 1

Hey,

No problem.  Good luck.

Doc

0 Likes
nate831

My adventure with VZ Navigator ended today.  After getting a replacement Blackberry from Verizon, I installed VZ Navigator on it.  After working for about 5 minutes, it stopped giving turn by turn voice directions - the same problem I had with my old Blackberry.  It still showed the directions on the screen, but the voice stopped.  Thiswas the end result of spending way too much time researching solutions, installing and uninstalling apps and operation systems, and speaking with Verizon technical support.

I called Verizon and cancelled VZ Nav service.  I'd rather print up google maps before heading out on the road and following those directions.  Verizon, you have failed me.   Maybe I'll go buy a Garmin.

0 Likes
SuzyQ
Community Leader
Community Leader

nate831 wrote:

... I called Verizon and cancelled VZ Nav service.  I'd rather print up google maps before heading out on the road and following those directions.  Verizon, you have failed me.   Maybe I'll go buy a Garmin.

Some love it, some hate it...it didn't work out for you with VZ Navigator.  Personally, I love my Garmin Street Pilot, and hubby loves his Nüvi - and there's no monthly fee to use those!  The GPS also functions as our hands-free devices while driving, and other than an occasional disconnect and quick reconnect, they work well!

0 Likes