Unable to change voice mail access number
wtkidd1972

I subscribe to YouMail for the ease of having my home and mobile voice mail in one inbox. It appears that Verizon has locked down the ability to change the voice mail access number in  the phone properties on my Z10. That's just crappy! I can't change it from *86 to the number I wish to use. Can anyone confirm whether or not this is due to VZW restricting this setting? Will it be opened up so I can input my own voice mail access number if/when they ever decide to update BB10 OS to the lastest version?

Labels (1)
0 Likes
Re: Unable to change voice mail access number
tikibar1
Community Leader
Community Leader
0 Likes
wtkidd1972

I saw that, but that's not what I'm concerned with. The issue I'm having has nothing to do with entering a voice mail password. I wish to use another voice mail number other than *86. I have been able to set the voice mail number on my last two phones with no problem. The Z10 has the capability to do this also. The problem is that on Verizon's Z10 the field to input a different voice mail number is made unavailable. This needs to change. I'm sure they do it because they don't want customer to change it and then be unable to get their voice mail. However, for those of us that don't use VZW voicemail because we are paying for another voice mail service, we should be able to change it.

0 Likes
RickinSD
Enthusiast - Level 3

I personally believe that Verizon is doing this to "force" us to use their own Visual Voice Mail system. 

Right below the "Set Password" button is a "Visual Voice Mail" button.  If you push that it will step you though setting up Verizon's $4.95 plan.  They want to make getting your voicemail the old way (or via another vendor like YouMail) difficult and/or impossible to make more money.

0 Likes
wtkidd1972
0 Likes
Ann154
Community Leader
Community Leader

Couldn't you create a contact with the voicemail number information and use that?

I'm most definitely NOT a VZW employee. If a post answered your question, please mark it as the answer.

wtkidd1972

Of course I can, and did. I have a YouMail contact that I use. I'm not as much concerned about my ability to get to my YouMail as I am about having my device restricted so I can't modify a setting like this. In other words, Verizon Wireless is so concerned that I'm going to screw up my ability to get to my voicemail that they are preventing me from changing the number. This just isn't necessary. Why can't I get this unlocked? It's my phone, right? I mean, I payed for it!

0 Likes