Sorry to hear you are having techical difficulties with Blackberry Desktop Manager (BDM). If you can, give a little more information. To be specific, which version of BDM you are using on your PC. Also, which settings were you specifically setting up and what was the exact message in the error. That could help narrow down the search for an answer to your problem. Gracias.
I'm trying to configure the synchronization setttings.
BMD v.5.0.1 & the message is Unknown Error Returned.
To set up BDM to sync your data, such as contacts and calendar, with your Blackberry device, do the following:
1. Install the Blackberry Desktop Manager (found on the CD that came with your BB or it can be downloaded from Blackberry).
2. Connect your BB via the USB cable that came with your device. The drivers should install automatically.
3. Run the Blackberry Desktop Program. It may pop up a message that it is looking for updates, you can cancel that now. Click Synchronize.
4. Configure how you sync your information. On the left side, go to Synchronization. This brings up the Sync configuration window. Click Synchronization. Now another window pops up for you to select what you want to sync. Myself, I only want to sync Calendar events so I checked the box next to calendar. If you want to check Contacts you can do that too. Click Setup. Select Microsoft Outlook and click Next. Tell BDM how you want to sync your data, from Outlook to your device, device to Outlook, or both ways. Select which user profile (you should have only one called Outlook), Transfer all items, remove past alarms. Click Next and Finish. Click OK. Now on the left side of the interface, click Synchronize.
5. The checkbox next to Synchronize organizer data should be automatically checked. Click Synchronize.
6. There you go. You may see some conflicts appear, but don't worry, you can look at the details of each one and decide on a one-on-one basis of what you need to do.
Hope this helps,
The issue is in Step 4. In Desktop Manager, from Main Menu - select Synchronize - select Configuration - select Synchronization - select Configure synchronization for my desktop program. Returns the "Unknown Error Returned" message. Issue seemed to develop when migrating from Blackberry Desktop Software to Blackberry Desktop Manager.
Desktop Software came with a 9630 & Desktop Manager came with a 9650.
Didn't have any issues with the 9630. The 9650 didn't appear to be compatibale with the Desktop Software, so installed the Desktop Manager, but have been unable setup synchronization on the 9650.