Storm battery drains so fast now after OS Update
dewit71

I updated by Blackberry Storm OS with the latest version (4.7.0.148) when it came out. Now, my battery just drains away, and does not even last through the day. And that is w/o making any phone calls!

I have emailed customer service, and of course I have heard nothing.

I wish there was a way for me to fix this. Does anyone know? I hate to have to carry a charger with me EVERYWHERE. It kind of defeats the purpose of having the Blackberry.

Thanks for any help!

Labels (1)
0 Likes
Re: Storm battery drains so fast now after OS Update
KaptainKool87
My wife's phone had the same issue and support had her redo the update thru desktop manager and that fixed the problem
0 Likes
StormModder
Contributor - Level 1

make sure that you're not leaving any programs open in the background.  you can check by holding down the menu key a couple seconds and you'll see the app switcher.  you should only have phone, messages, home, blackberry messenger, and browser.

anything more than that will drain your battery even if you're not using the program.

also, just as Kaptain said, reload your OS and try again.  If you're not sure how to do it, then call tech support (FROM A DIFFERENT PHONE) and they can help you.

0 Likes
SaNDman
Contributor - Level 3

My comment has nothing to do with the OS update. But you're right about "third party" applications, I noticed a slightly more battery drain when I had a "third party" app. running in the the background. I know this reply is 1 month later, but I turned off the application.  

0 Likes
LOWFLYER
Contributor - Level 2

Just wanted to add my $.02  Along with third party apps some things to remember about this device whether u have email setup on it (i have 4), a weather application, or a msnger service running (i have at least 2-3 sometimes with BB Msnger) this device is constantly updating itself and that takes juice from the battery.  I can get a full day out of my Storm and charge at night with moderate internet useage, IM useage, moderate-heavy texting, and a few phone calls. 

Recap:

Email, weather, txting, and IM all suck extra battery life wether you're using them or they're idle.

CLOSE do not ESC from your applications via the BB button or they will remain open and not only use up battery life but also valuable resources/memory needed to run other stuff.  If your phone becomes sluggish, you probably have too many apps open or running.

Download the free version of "Quickpull" from Crackberry.com and set it to reset itself (mimics actually pulling out the battery w/out actually doing so by soft resetting of the phone) every morning just before you wake up so you have a fresh phone.  There is a misconception that simply holding down the power button and shutting off the phone will do this and it's not true, it bring your BB back exactly how it was when u shut it down.  

0 Likes
SaNDman
Contributor - Level 3
Thanks for your $.02, I downloaded the free version of "Quickpull" from Crackberry.com. I set it up to activate a few minutes after the Storm turns itself on in the morning. I set the Storm to turn off and on daily and weekends. I did the "Quickpull" moments ago, and 1 of the "third party applications" came back on in the background. But I turned it off, I will keep an eye on it. (Minor issue?):smileyhappy:
0 Likes
LOWFLYER
Contributor - Level 2

Hey Sandman, not a problem.  As far as your 3rd party application, can I ask which one it is?  If it's something like a weather application ie Berryweather or Weatherbug it's gonna automatically restart after a reset b/c of the way it was installed.  What you can do is go to the permissions setting and try to change whether or not it automatically runs or not upon a reset or restart of the phone.

Go to Options>Advanced Options>Applications>find the app and hit the BB button>edit permissions.

0 Likes
SaNDman
Contributor - Level 3
The 3rd party application is "Call Blocker" for the Blackberry Storm from Crackberry.com(cost $2.99) I downloaded it because I "thought" it would completly block private calls, like how landlines block private calls. Instead, it sends private calls to voice mail, same with numbers that are listed. As for listed numbers, I can go to My Verizon account and have them blocked for several months. I went to Options and did what you wrote, I disabled Call Blocker. (wasted $2.99):smileysad: 
0 Likes
LOWFLYER
Contributor - Level 2
I feel your pain bro, I recently spent $7.99 on a program call "Ace Email Viewer" which is supposed to make all your emails look like actual emails with pictures an everything.  It was an impulse buy b/c it's normally $29.99 and they had it on special at Crackberry.  All the reviews are good and for the most part it does what it says but it's painfully slow to completely open email (pics have to download), lags my BB and now I'm stuck with it unless I want to just uninstall it and waste my $8; next time it's free trial or bust.  As far as your call blocker, I would say rather than disable it, just go ahead and uninstall it with the BB Desktop Mgr so that it's not taking up application memory.  I hate learning lessons the hard way....don't u? :smileysad: 
0 Likes
SaNDman
Contributor - Level 3
Lowflyer, Thanks for following up. I downloaded CallBlocker from crackberry.com from my Storm. I sent crackberry my device cell number, they sent me a text message with a link. So I just got the app. without Desktop Manager, I now deleted Call blocker in my Storm. As for the Quickpull, I found out it don't work while the Storm is locked or holstered. So I just did Quickpull did'nt take too long next time I leave Storm unlocked and unholsterd before sleeptime.:smileyhappy:
0 Likes