Storm 5.0 Update - Tethering with Modem No Longer Functions
krobert291

I have the BlackBerry Storm 9530 - updated to OS 5 yesterday. I do pay for tethering plan. Can still tether directly to notebook computer using VZAccess Manager software. Unfortunately, can no longer connect using either my MRB1000 or PHS300 CradlePoint routers. Is there a setting on my Storm that I need to change?

Labels (1)
Tags (1)
0 Likes
Re: Storm 5.0 Update - Tethering with Modem No Longer Functions
StreetDocRN
Champion - Level 1

krobert291 wrote:

I have the BlackBerry Storm 9530 - updated to OS 5 yesterday. I do pay for tethering plan. Can still tether directly to notebook computer using VZAccess Manager software. Unfortunately, can no longer connect using either my MRB1000 or PHS300 CradlePoint routers. Is there a setting on my Storm that I need to change?

Hi,

I believe it is a software error with VZAccess.  It is not recognizing the 5.0 upgrade.  There may be a workaround.  Try Dial up Networking on your computer.  Right click on network places and click on properties, then create a new connection. Locate dial up and create that type of connection. Phone number is #777 username and password can be blank, as long as you have the tethering plan.  Also, make sure you have the latest version of VZAccess manager which is v7.0.11.

Doc

0 Likes
krobert291

Thanks for the reply. Maybe I didn't say it right - VZAccess Manager is working just fine. No problem there. What isn't working is using my Storm as a modem on my CradlePoint Router(s). I use these routers as a wireless access point for other notebook computers and my iPod Touch. Previously I was able to just plug my Storm into the router(s) with my USB cable and the Storm would automatically go into modem mode providing internet connectivity to all my wireless devices through the wireless router. With OS 5 this no longer works.

0 Likes
StreetDocRN
Champion - Level 1

Ohh,  I see now.  Not sure about how I can help with the routers.  Perhaps someone else will reply today with more knowledge than me.

Doc

0 Likes
johnrule
Enthusiast - Level 2

Tethering through VZAccess is definitely broken for me. All of the phone functions are fine, and I can connect via modem profile from XP, but VZAccess Manager (vers 7.0.11) goes into a loop where it tries to communicate/configure the phone.

My temporary solution is to connect via modem profile, and increase the bps speed to max.

It would be nice if the last OS was available for download so that I can downgrade. My tethering is the only Internet connection I have for my PC right now.

( BB Storm 9530 )

JR

0 Likes
Mustang11b35d

Is there a new VZAccess Manager coming out to address this? I've been on the phone with customer support, and they tried to work through it and had no solutions. I'm using an Aspire netbook with my tethered Storm 9530 (great fly-away package) and my options are limited.

0 Likes
Thurston217

I am having a similar issue.  I use my Storm as a modem with my Mac via bluetooth.  The phone connects via bluetooth to the computer but it doesn't respond when I try to connect to the internet.  Any thoughts on this?

0 Likes
johnrule
Enthusiast - Level 2

I was able to setup a generic usb modem profile in Windows using "New Connection Wizard"...can you do something like this in OSX (a generic usb modem connection)? Ultimately, however, I downgraded to 4.7 and everything is working great. The firmware I found is actually 4.7.0.167, and I had to use Desktop Manager 4.7 to downgrade.

JR

0 Likes
Bjetpilot

I have the same problem since I updated to 5.0.328. It worked with .230. The work around using #77 works great except I miss some of the reporting that comes with VZ Access manager. Please get a fix for the OS!

Thanks!

0 Likes
treyjedi

I have the same issue with the new OS with the latest version of VZacess and Windows 7.  Can connect with a generic dialup connection but VZaccess goes into a loop when it tries to confige the device.

You would think they would have tested this before they released the new OS...

0 Likes